Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

One of my (unanticipated) favorite things about boating

shawndoggy

People always ask what kind of music I like. My answer: "Good music.". It doesn't matter the genre or year it was made. If it's GOOD MUSIC, I'll probably like it. I just don't like anything too "heavy". Like hardcore rap, or house, or death metal that's just a bunch of screaming...

• Like 2

Ok everybody.

Where does The Eagles "Hotel California" put you back to?

I have an extreme memory of when / where that song places me.

• Like 3

Ok everybody.

7th Grade Slow Dance with Janice, who I don't remember but will never forget

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ha ha Pete, many many of my soundtrack-of-my-life songs take me places that should not be disclosed. Let's just say I'm really really really glad that my friends and I weren't all rolling with cell phone video cams between the ages of 14 and about 22. I'd be unemployable.... but the soundtrack to that movie would be pretty good.

Now "The Long Run" takes me right back to listening to the single that I bought for 79 cents on my record player in my room... Must have been about 3rd grade?

• Like 2

Yeah,

I'd rather not say where "Hotel CA" places me, too personal but, I'll never forget it.

edit, her name was Julie.

Edited by Pistol Pete
  • Like 2

.... charter bus ski trip....

I was thinking about the shuffle of my music the other day, when the boat cable was taken and plugged into my kids iphone, I was worried, but quickly taken back when they put it on a shuffle of the entire Van Halen library.

Oh, and the charter bus trip, do they do that to kids anymore? In the ninth grade we totaled a bus by hitting a bull outside of Wild Horse Colorado, the next year the drain plug fell out of the oil cooled alternator? Problem solved by adding oil every hour until we got to the ski resort and on and on.

Ok everybody.

At the Fraternity house, late, late at night, those of us who did not have 'dates' by then just hanging around drinking (more) and singing that rediculous song, loud...circa 1988.

• Like 2

Great post Shawn! Funny how a song/music brings back those memories. That's probably why I like music so much!

My daughter is 8, yesterday after picking her up for gymnastics as song came on that is part of our "boat playlist" She's say's dad, this song reminds me of use hanging out on the boat! I thought to myself this is what it's all about!

Her last comment was dad, I love our boat!

What does this bring back...for me I was born and raised in FL, we used to skip high school and go surf the 2nd light in near Patrick AFB.

Edited by srintx

Roxanne

The first visit to a fraternity house, one with a dancer on the pool table and the Police on the stereo.

Ah, they heyday of fraternity mayhem. Dunno how it is at your alma mater Boz, but at mine those sorts of shenanigans don't go down any more. Which I don't really mind seeing as my 16 y/o daughter will be heading off to college in a couple of years. I don't really want her meeting the 18 year old me when she gets there!

What does this bring back...for me I was born and raised in FL, we used to skip high school and go surf the 2nd light in near Patrick AFB.

Pow days at Alpine meadows, winter of 92 (pic from Northstar, but you get the idea).

2150_1090066364859_221_n.jpg

Your in snow, I was in surf! AWESOME! :werule:

And I, in the midwest, was at the skate park with some friends. My car backed in, hatch and doors wide open stereo BLASTING landing my first heli-pop off a platform.

I could even tell you the equipment list in the car.

I don't really want her meeting the 18 year old me when she gets there!

He is there, trust me, with a bunch of his buddies. I'm on the House Corporation for my Fraternity at my Alma Mater (we own the house the actives rent from us) and as such I get the late night calls to come and try to smooth things over with 'the authorities' when things get a litlle out of hand. I do my best, but I always leave 'the scene' with an incredible feeling of deja-vu. These kids are no different than we were, and have the same set of 'priorties', priorities 'so profound and disgusting...that decorum phohibits listing them here'...to quote a favorite movie of mine.

They do seem to drive nicer cars than we had, though.

Shawn, this is one of the best topics I've seen in awhile. My wife and I frequently discuss this same thing.

Pink floyd brings me back to high school auto shop. I spent a lot of time in there and that's what the teacher played. I think it was a psychological experiment to keep things mellow when I look back.

Smashing pumpkins.... College. Bad religion.... My mountain biking days. Van halen, riding in my friends Pontiac tempest. The list goes on.

Awesome topic Shawn!!!

oh man I wrenched at a bicycle shop through college and we listened to classic rock the whole time. For me, even though these songs were "old" at the time, this was the first time I'd heard them (my folks were more Carpenters and John Denver than BOC and ZZ Top). Many many of those tunes put me back there trying to set up the crappy early 90s canti mtb brakes.

This one was my senior year in HS on my first long road trip to my parent's cabin....

And this one with all of my worldly possessions in my 84 carolla howling across the Nevada desert two days after taking my last college final .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oykfkgU_gXg