Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sur'Fin Would you want one?

Levi900RR

Surf Fin  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Would you purchase a universal, manual surf fin (like Surfgate) ?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If So, how much would you be willing to pay for it?

• $100
    • $200
    • $300
    • $400
    • $400+

There is 16 inches between the bracket and edge of the hull. I really like the Ram mount idea, but the arms are not long enough for this. I've been trying to come up with ways to not go into the platform, but that may be my only option if I want to pursue this route. I was thinking maybe making a brace that would extend from the fin to the bracket itself to help support the load. attaching it to the platform would be okay I think, as long as there was a brace for support

A7ED2E9A-9E2D-4F1B-942A-5844E5CAD3C5-6957-0000004E49464699.jpg

How about using another stock swim platform bracket mounted sideways? That way, the sur'fin could easily attach and detach, just like the platform.

Finially got some pics. The snowboard fin is PERFECT. It adds a ton of length to the wave, but doesn take much push away. AND... I switched it from reg to goof in 70 seconds.

This is my Skier with 1 750lb sac in the middle under the rear seat and my Snowboard gate.

Regular:

LeviSurfreg.jpg

Goof:

LeviSurfGoof.jpg

This was the first time I have surfed on the Goofy side...

I also went with my standard ballast config for surfing and added the fin. It was totally insane, I couldn't believe how big and long the wave was. I'll post up those pics when I get them. I forgot my camera so I am at the mercy of my buddies iPhone.

So when are you going to sell this thing??!!

After seeing the before/after pics Slurpee posted in the Poor Man's gate thread (he has the same hull I have), I have to get a surf gate, but I'm not looking to invest the time in crafting my own. The difference is very significant.

Im getting the fin's made now. Still waiting on RAM... I was actually thinking of trying to come up with a different mount that clamps to the platform so you dont have to drill anything.

I've drilled 7 holes in my boat this year...not worried about that. :)

• 1 month later...
Im getting the fin's made now. Still waiting on RAM... I was actually thinking of trying to come up with a different mount that clamps to the platform so you dont have to drill anything.

Any update?

I'm new to this thread but not new to the concept of building a surfgate-like device. I think using Lenco 102's or even 101's (smaller travel) might be the solution. For those of you who have not built an experimental model and tested it themselves, I cannot overestimate the effect these devices have on steering. I basically lost steering authority to one side and had to turn into the deployed gate at idle speed every time. Am I fine with that?... Yes, because I dig this stuff and don't care about little issues like steerability when I live on a private lake. My wife, on the otherhand, does care. If I had let her drive the boat with my test gate, I probably would have had to shut the whole project down even though it wasn't a safety issue (in my mind). I know the steerability issue is highly dependent on the boat hull and angle of deployment, but I wanted to make sure people are aware that this could be an issue

You have a great design here and it clearly works, but by not having it deploy and retract I think you are creating a very limited design. I also think that without a whole lot more adjustability you are going to find it hard to transfer this technology to other boats. From what I have seen from my tests, the angle can have significant (and different) effects based on the hull.

Just my two cents. Not trying to be a downer but hopefully helping to increase the knowledge base. -Marc

so we have Slurpee Gates and Levi Gates :rockon:

These custom SG threads are awesome! I really like Levi's idea. I think he's up to something big. Could you use an adjustable pitch surfgate to fine tune the wave?

I'm new to this thread but not new to the concept of building a surfgate-like device. I think using Lenco 102's or even 101's (smaller travel) might be the solution. For those of you who have not built an experimental model and tested it themselves, I cannot overestimate the effect these devices have on steering. I basically lost steering authority to one side and had to turn into the deployed gate at idle speed every time. Am I fine with that?... Yes, because I dig this stuff and don't care about little issues like steerability when I live on a private lake. My wife, on the otherhand, does care. If I had let her drive the boat with my test gate, I probably would have had to shut the whole project down even though it wasn't a safety issue (in my mind). I know the steerability issue is highly dependent on the boat hull and angle of deployment, but I wanted to make sure people are aware that this could be an issue

You have a great design here and it clearly works, but by not having it deploy and retract I think you are creating a very limited design. I also think that without a whole lot more adjustability you are going to find it hard to transfer this technology to other boats. From what I have seen from my tests, the angle can have significant (and different) effects based on the hull.

Just my two cents. Not trying to be a downer but hopefully helping to increase the knowledge base. -Marc

I don't disagree, but the system you're talking about implementing is probably going to end up costing almost 3x what this one would cost. It's also A LOT more permanent.

So it's not as black and white as it seems.

Oh and you almost 100% need the 102 Lenco ram. The shorter one will not have enough travel.

I don't disagree, but the system you're talking about implementing is probably going to end up costing almost 3x what this one would cost. It's also A LOT more permanent.

So it's not as black and white as it seems.

Oh and you almost 100% need the 102 Lenco ram. The shorter one will not have enough travel.

I think you could use Lencos and still have a "semi-permanent" setup based on attaching the actuator to the swim deck versus the hull. As for the cost...no doubt about that. I got a pair of lightly used 102's for $240 and the attachments run almost $50. I can make a switch cheap for about $50 (but of course I am still hoping for MartinArcher to come thru with a "mass produced" GPS controller.) That will run the costs up even further. With that said, some good surfboards run $500-600 so I think that says something about what the market will bear.

• 1 year later...