Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sur'Fin Would you want one?

Levi900RR

Surf Fin  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Would you purchase a universal, manual surf fin (like Surfgate) ?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If So, how much would you be willing to pay for it?

• $100
    • $200
    • $300
    • $400
    • $400+

Great idea! I've never heard of Ram but understand now how adjustable it can be like you mentioned. What size ball are you using and what's the length of the longer arm in your pic?

Have you experiimented with how to attach to the newer fiberglas decks?? I have a 2010 LXI that I would love to try it on....I have a power wedge, but what all has been said, I can install your design and not have to use the wedge....which would be fantastic, casue using the wedge, is like running you car with the parking brake cranked as tight as you can get.

If the lateral load is that small, maybe some epoxy glue to secure the rear RAM to the deck?

Yep, I have some ideas on how to attach to a fiberglass platform. I just need to convince my neighbor who has a brand new X star to let me hack his platform :lol: I am thinking some sort of epoxied in nutsert.

For anyone wondering, I did have on incident during testing where I was trying to use a double ball and two short arms for the rear arm. This would have allowed me to adjust the angle of the fin easily. This did not hold the load, and when it failed the ball broke off one of my mounts. Which sucked, but it was nice to know that the mount is going to fail, NOT my platform...

• Like 1

i hope this idea translates to paper..er..ummm, forumese(?).

What if you drilled 4 (or maybe more) holes right thru the swim platform and made your device with pins that would drop thru the holes in the platform. If the pins were long enough you could have a cross bar mounted on the gate with hinges that would fold down (after dropping the 4 pins thru the platform) to butt up against the 4 pins to provide lateral stability to the bottom of the gate

Install and remove in seconds.

Edited by Cervelo

Yep, I have some ideas on how to attach to a fiberglass platform. I just need to convince my neighbor who has a brand new X star to let me hack his platform :lol: I am thinking some sort of epoxied in nutsert.

For anyone wondering, I did have on incident during testing where I was trying to use a double ball and two short arms for the rear arm. This would have allowed me to adjust the angle of the fin easily. This did not hold the load, and when it failed the ball broke off one of my mounts. Which sucked, but it was nice to know that the mount is going to fail, NOT my platform...

Just like Thomas Edison...when dealing with failures, he said it was not a failure, but another way that would not work, but was closer to finding one that would work....

I keep looking at mine telling myself "don't be scared". I'm not scared, wondering what would be best. care to share your idea for that one? I've been debating it for days now. I purchased a ram arm, roughly 5.5 inch arm for the 1.5"diameter ball, as the shorter arm didn't extend far enough to get the fin closer to the edge of the boat. looking to get maybe the 2.5 diameter balls for the rear bracket as I can get a 12" arm that way and get the rear of the fin extended out more.

Edited by wakebrdr94

DSCF1421.jpg

If I may add my suggestion, it might help with fiberglass mounting and eliminate the need to drill through the platform itself. Do not mount the ball directly to the platform. Instead, get a long thin piece of stainless sheet (about 1/4" x 2" x 18"), mount both balls to that at their appropriate distance apart. Then mount the sheet (with balls attached) to the bracket. You would be rotating the aft ball 90 degrees toward us in this picture so the 2 balls would now be orientated the same.

There is 16 inches between the bracket and edge of the hull. I really like the Ram mount idea, but the arms are not long enough for this. I've been trying to come up with ways to not go into the platform, but that may be my only option if I want to pursue this route. I was thinking maybe making a brace that would extend from the fin to the bracket itself to help support the load. attaching it to the platform would be okay I think, as long as there was a brace for support

A7ED2E9A-9E2D-4F1B-942A-5844E5CAD3C5-6957-0000004E49464699.jpg

There is 16 inches between the bracket and edge of the hull. I really like the Ram mount idea, but the arms are not long enough for this. I've been trying to come up with ways to not go into the platform, but that may be my only option if I want to pursue this route. I was thinking maybe making a brace that would extend from the fin to the bracket itself to help support the load. attaching it to the platform would be okay I think, as long as there was a brace for support

A7ED2E9A-9E2D-4F1B-942A-5844E5CAD3C5-6957-0000004E49464699.jpg

I'm just glad you have the fire department on site in case there are problems. :biggrin:

• Like 2

I don't think the ram mounts will work on the newer boats. I'm not sure it'll even work on my 93" beam boat because of the distance between the platform and edge of boat and because my teak platform is tapered. I ordered longer arms so I'll add pics when I experiment with my boat.

post-134-0-44643300-1346946562_thumb.jpg

I don't think the ram mounts will work on the newer boats. I'm not sure it'll even work on my 93" beam boat because of the distance between the platform and edge of boat and because my teak platform is tapered. I ordered longer arms so I'll add pics when I experiment with my boat.

That's why I only used a RAM mount on the front mount of my prototype gate. I wish they had one more size of the 1.5" ball arms. Levi had a cool idea with using two medium arms and a ball connector in the middle, but he said it doesn't have near the strength with two added joints.