Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sur'Fin Would you want one?

Levi900RR

Surf Fin  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Would you purchase a universal, manual surf fin (like Surfgate) ?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If So, how much would you be willing to pay for it?

• $100
    • $200
    • $300
    • $400
    • $400+

Do you think the size of the gate will vary proportionately to the size of the boat? Will it be the same size on a lsv as a vlx? I've been wondering this as I would think a one size fits all would give different results on different boats

I'm not sure. With all the testing I've done, the length and angle of the fin seems to be the only real variable.

I don't want to bait you into giving away details, but mounting to the swim platform raises an eyebrow. are the swimplatform mounts structurally sound enough to take horizontal force from the water?

That was one of my concerns as well. The mounts I have pivot in the center and on each end. They would let go WAY before the platform or fiberglass would fail. This also lets you adjust the fin anyway you want. You can angle it out for more of a tall / shorter wave. Or tuck it closer to the platform for a LONG mellow wave.

I like it (and would like one) but Im pretty sure it would invalidate any standing warranties.

Me too, for me, my boat is old and has no warranty.

Levi I understand not wanting to post pics but I would need to see one before I plunked down money... Of course Im sure you get this. I'll test one for an 05 vride and give it a good shakedown. We surf 3-5 days a week probably and can give a good opinion. Possible could test on an 09 vride as well.

This thread was really just to test the waters on interest, if I were to really give this a shot I would totally show people exactly what it was and how it mounts before expecting them to pay for anything. I am thinking my best bet is to get 5 or 10 made and get them out on a bunch of different hull types for testing.

As soon as I have more made I'll get with people to test.

Also, I'll try to get some video of what it does to the wave on my Skier, and how quickly it goes on and off.

• Like 1

All my wife wants to do is surf (and shop). In little Echelons the weight gets me nervous, so anything to help make a wave without the big list hugely interests me. And I also very much like a solution that requires no holes in my transom and no wiring.

Glad you are digging into it Levi!

That was one of my concerns as well. The mounts I have pivot in the center and on each end. They would let go WAY before the platform or fiberglass would fail. This also lets you adjust the fin anyway you want. You can angle it out for more of a tall / shorter wave. Or tuck it closer to the platform for a LONG mellow wave.

I figure the closer you mount to the hull the better. It reduces the torque put on to the hull mounting points. Maybe if you replace the swim platform pins with new longer pins that have connection hardware for your device to click to, that would get your contact points up real close to the hull and negate as much torque as possible.

anyway, I'll shut my mouth till we see this thing. Can you show pic's of the bar napkin you designed it on?

All this suspense is killing me! I'll share what I have in mind....I just need to take a few measurements off the boat this weekend before I start fabrication of my prototype. I'm going to try a simple clamp to the swim platform bracket and an aluminium fin that I can mount and adjust by moving a few pins around.

7797653558_0aa615bbb8.jpg

Adam Gate 2 by FlickFest, on Flickr

7797653846_bff85c4c0b.jpg

Adam Gate 1 by FlickFest, on Flickr

7797654136_df444129e8.jpg

Adam Gate 3 by FlickFest, on Flickr

Hopefully there is enough summer left to see if it works!

I think there is plently of interest in this sort of thing, I personally would have no desire to market or manufacture anything but it sure is fun to tinker!

Edited by SkiZilla

I was thinking a square pole that spans both platform mounts and then something like you have attached to the end. I could be totally wrong, but attaching to just one mount seems like a good way to break your surf tab off and watch it sink to the bottom.

I was thinking a square pole that spans both platform mounts and then something like you have attached to the end. I could be totally wrong, but attaching to just one mount seems like a good way to break your surf tab off and watch it sink to the bottom.

I thought about that too initially, even thought about just drilling and tapping the swim platform bracket itself but know I wouldn't be able to bring myself to drill into my boat for this project. Thought I would try this, (with a lanyard) see how it goes and evaluate the forces involved. Picking up on both mounts is a good idea though, could make the bracket so you could mount a fin on either side.

After looking at a real surfgate in person it certainly isn't rocket science(just a darn good idea). Keep up the research boys!! A manual version for around $500-$1000 would go like hotcakes!! I would definitely be interested. :clap:

Just a comment for everone worried about ripping the transom off your boat. I'm not saying it would never happen. But when I was out on my boat a few weeks ago dreaming about this idea, we were surfing, I just put my hand in the water at the transom. I was able to push the water back with my hand alone. After that, I knew I wasn't dealing with a huge ammount of pressure. The key I found, was keeping the fin tucked slightly behind the side of the boat at the front, that way your not hooking the water coming off the boat behind the fin. Just continuing to deflect it.

• Like 2

I don't really want to post up pics quite yet, as it will really give away my design.

I'm not starting anything but I find this funny...using someone else's design but yet don't want your design to be given away. I'm just being light hearted and find this funny. Before people get their panties in a twist, realize there is no option that is being offered for older boats.

I'm not starting anything but I find this funny...using someone else's design but yet don't want your design to be given away. I'm just being light hearted and find this funny. Before people get their panties in a twist, realize there is no option that is being offered for older boats.

Dude, I hear ya. I gotta tell you. I DO NOT want to work in IT the rest of my life. If I can somehow generate some income somewhere else, I want to. I realize this whole thing is a pipe dream. I am really close to just letting the cat out of the bag and forgetting about it.

It is pretty cool though...

Dude, I hear ya. I gotta tell you. I DO NOT want to work in IT the rest of my life. If I can somehow generate some income somewhere else, I want to. I realize this whole thing is a pipe dream. I am really close to just letting the cat out of the bag and forgetting about it.

It is pretty cool though...

I know what you mean. If you do let the cat out you may not make any money, but as people see it they might offer some good ideas. My guess is that people who aren't DIYers will still buy one regardless of seeing yours. I doubt there are many people on the fence that will see pictures and say "I wasn't going to, but now I will build one myself."

Good luck!

it seems I could just stand on the swim platform holding a wakeboard vertically with the bottom 3rd in the water along the edge of the swim platform and angle it out to create a surf wave if it's not much force. may play around with that just to see the effects. I've been looking for something to do with an old wake board laying around my house.

I know what you mean. If you do let the cat out you may not make any money, but as people see it they might offer some good ideas. My guess is that people who aren't DIYers will still buy one regardless of seeing yours. I doubt there are many people on the fence that will see pictures and say "I wasn't going to, but now I will build one myself."

Good luck!

Yep, like me. I want to just buy it and install it, don't have time to mess around. I am sure I will buy one from someone, all depends on who has the cheapest and most effective design. Though I kinda like Levi, hoping he comes up with a good one.

MB, your avitar pic is SO awesome!

That kid's a blast. Pic was shot from my wife in the lake while I was chucking our children off the pier. Looks like she's 15' out of the water, but it's really like 6 or 7.

post-8942-0-83626900-1345212046_thumb.jp

How are you going to sell these things and make money off them when Malibu patented the design? I'm not saying I wouldn't buy one because I would definitely be in line as soon as you find something that works, but have you thought about the patent infringement aspect of it? To go and do it yourself is one thing, but to start marketing and selling them for profit is another.

Can you actually pattent fulid dynamics? Its like trying to pattent the idea of creating lift with an airplane wing. I'm guessing if I called it Surf Gate and it ran on actuators etc I might have a problem. If it actually come together I'll be sure to engage a lawyer.

Is there a pattent on the Oar?

EDIT: How many companies sell trim tabs?

Edited by Levi900RR

Does anyone actually have a Patent Number for the Surf Gate?

I searched for it and came up with nothing.

I found the wedge, the engine mount, pivoting pylon, windshield, tower, tiller arm stabilizer, but no surf gate.