Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sur'Fin Would you want one?

Levi900RR

Surf Fin  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Would you purchase a universal, manual surf fin (like Surfgate) ?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If So, how much would you be willing to pay for it?

• $100
    • $200
    • $300
    • $400
    • $400+

So I'm at the point where I want to feel out the Crew.... I have built a Surf Fin that installs in about an hour, and can be deployed and or switched to the other side in about 90 seconds. The mounting hardware wasn't cheap and I'm trying to decide if it's worth trying to package up and sell.

I can't believe how much length it added to the wave behind my Skier, the coolest part is I can go ropeless easily without listing the boat.

Anyway. Would you want one??

And if you do, how much would you pay for it?

I'd love to see a rough sketch of the set up / parts involved.

Could easily be worth $500 if it will do the same for every model boat.

You'd need to test it on current diamond and wake hulls so you know what you're advertising.

I don't really want to post up pics quite yet, as it will really give away my design. I can tell you it mounts to the swim platform / platform bracket and is completly adjustable to fit any hull profile / angle. Two large thumb screws are all you tighten / loosen to snap it on and off. It folds really flat for storage, I'm thinking if I do sell it I'll have a nice little bag for storage. The "A Kit" that stays on the boat is under the platform and quite minimal. You can still easily remove the platform.

either way, if it's assembled from readily available parts, cheapa$$es will DIY you (like you are uhhhh doing sorta if you know what I mean).

So showing your design shouldn't really impact anything. What people are buying isn't your design it's the convenience of the assembled kit.

IMHO and all that.

• Like 1

S-Dog, I totally know what you mean. It's so simple I don't want to show yet.

Pete, I'll grab some video this weekend. I just got the thing really dialed in today.

I was blown away when my little Skier was throwing a wave with NO Ballast. Nothing Surfable, but pretty cool.

I'm thinking I should send a few out for Crew members to test?

• Like 3

I'm highly interested. I'm one of those folks willing to plunk down $400+ for a setup that works and doesn't break. I like the idea of the manual, removable setup; simplicity sometimes just wins out.

• Like 2

Do you think the size of the gate will vary proportionately to the size of the boat? Will it be the same size on a lsv as a vlx? I've been wondering this as I would think a one size fits all would give different results on different boats

Count me as interested. Would like to know that the setup is truly surfable (not just a good looking wave, but something that has good push) before plunking down serious cash. But I'd be game to play ball on testing and paying if it's a good setup.

If it fit a Response LXI and cost the same or less than the wedge foil for a "production" unit I would buy one.

On that note I will let the other volunteers do dirability testing for me. I don't think the platform brackets are that strong to take the load required to slide the slightly at an angle.

I don't want to bait you into giving away details, but mounting to the swim platform raises an eyebrow. are the swimplatform mounts structurally sound enough to take horizontal force from the water?

I have an 06 247 and would be looking to sell and spend another $35K incremental to get a 2013 with SurfGate. I have been doing some digging and hearing that when and if they retro it would be back probably back to 2012 models, 2011 models would pose a problem and somewhere in the 5-$7k range. I think if you could get someone to manufacture your design you would be in the $1000+ range. Now not sure if Malibu could come after you for infringement of patent... but I would pay for it!!!!

Count me in! I've got a diamond hull you could test on. I have been looking at trim tabs for a month and I stop every time I realize I have to drill and mount them. We really need Malibu to toss us a boat and do a real saved out review of the gate. Plus we could take some measurements. ;).

Levi I understand not wanting to post pics but I would need to see one before I plunked down money... Of course Im sure you get this. I'll test one for an 05 vride and give it a good shakedown. We surf 3-5 days a week probably and can give a good opinion. Possible could test on an 09 vride as well.