Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GoPro Mount

Hammertime

I just got our first GoPro and I was wondering what mount everyone is using to video wakeboarding from the boat. Please post pics if you've got 'em.

Thanks!

None. Too far away. Get a camera without a wide angle for shooting from the boat.

Works for surfing because their so close.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

suction cup (motorsports) mount works well from the transom for surfing; home made handle mount is good for wakeboarding.

get mcguyverish... that's the whole fun of these cams!

Edited by shawndoggy

suction cup (motorsports) mount works well from the transom for surfing; home made handle mount is good for wakeboarding.

Thanks shawndoggy. I did look at the mount you made for the wakeboard rope, I'll probably steal that design if you don't mind.

WTH is "mcguyverish"? I Googled it and couldn't seem to find anything.

MacGyver. The TV show where the guy was always making something elaborate out of whatever garbage he could find? He's the ultimate "duct tape & bailing wire" type of guy.

I've made a few different mounts. One for the tip of my SkySki, looking back on the rider. Was great for the Air Santa run.

Another I mounted it to a wooden stake. I'd stick it in the ground by a jump & record me & my buddies taking off & landing motorcycle, ATV & golf cart jumps.

Recently stuck it on my workbench so I could see what the dogs do all day while I'm at work. Pretty funny stuff.

I use the chest mount a lot. It's very stable & I find it's the more life like view point to show exactly what I see while riding.

Seen a couple of videos using the rope cam looking at the rider. Looks like a pretty cool one to play with.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I bought the GoPro suction cup mount and had it on the transom...suction cup lost suction, lost the cam, it now sit at the bottom of the lake. GoPro replaced it, it cost me a SD Card

I use a snowboard leash around the suction cup mount and clip it to a d ring on the transom. It's never come off, but hopefully if it does, the leash will save it.

Now knowing what I know, I do something very similar.

anyone using this mount? http://www.amazon.com/Kite-Hero-Vertical-Camera-Mount/dp/B0057ZGH8C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1PC9E2P1UHNDK&coliid=I2EALRRWNH6RGU

We're getting a gopro soon and that's one of the many mounts we're looking at.

from the boat though, we're using a standard flash HD camcorder with the AirTrakker Top Mount from http://wakevideo.com/. It works great! I'm wiring a remote down to the throttle so I can control record, zoom, etc, and outputting the video to Malivue. Should result in a similar setup to the Malibu option but for about $700 with camera. I got the camera from bestbuy and purchased the extended warranty which covers water and vibration damage (as long as it isn't submerged).

Cool idea. You may have to drill some holes in your board & mount some kind of insert in it.

I've used the stock mounts in a similar way, mounting the camera on the tip of the SkySki, on the paddleboard, on the motorcycle & on the golf cart, looking back at myself. Never had a problem.

In the end I've decided that the shots looking back up at myself are something that have a very specific use for...... like when we do the Air Santa run.... looking back up at the Santa rider. But not something I like to see as much as the POV shot (chest cam) or some of the other creative angles we've all seen. Guess I'm just not the type to stop & check myself out every time I walk by a mirror. :Doh:

Cool idea. You may have to drill some holes in your board & mount some kind of insert in it.

I've used the stock mounts in a similar way, mounting the camera on the tip of the SkySki, on the paddleboard, on the motorcycle & on the golf cart, looking back at myself. Never had a problem.

In the end I've decided that the shots looking back up at myself are something that have a very specific use for...... like when we do the Air Santa run.... looking back up at the Santa rider. But not something I like to see as much as the POV shot (chest cam) or some of the other creative angles we've all seen. Guess I'm just not the type to stop & check myself out every time I walk by a mirror. :Doh:

I was actually going to mount it on my daughter's board that has a removable center fin (probably only going to have to get a longer screw). Once we're tired of looking at her, I'm thinking we turn it around and see what kind of video we see.

Here's a vid I made all with go pro's. Its the chest mount / surf board mount and a handlebar mount on the end of a painters poll.

I like the chest for POV wakeboarding and the poll is awesome for surfing.

• Like 1

1. Did you use the suction mount properly?? Mine had been mounted on a motorcycle going 150mph on both the front fairing & side fairing without any issues.

2. That wakeboard mount is good, i used the mount prior to that redesign. I still have it and work well with the fin holes.

I'll post a pic later...cant update pic from tapatalk. But heres the link to the thread (mines the one half way down).

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792769

1. Did you use the suction mount properly?? Mine had been mounted on a motorcycle going 150mph on both the front fairing & side fairing without any issues.

2. That wakeboard mount is good, i used the mount prior to that redesign. I still have it and work well with the fin holes.

I'll post a pic later...cant update pic from tapatalk. But heres the link to the thread (mines the one half way down).

http://www.wakeworld...ad.php?t=792769

My buddy kicked the camera when he fell on the surf board.

Now knowing what I know, I do something very similar.

We used a foam can coolie and put it between the camera and suction mount to keep it afloat in case it came off/ Put the bolt through the hole at the bottom of the can coolie

MacGyver. The TV show where the guy was always making something elaborate out of whatever garbage he could find? He's the ultimate "duct tape & bailing wire" type of guy.

LMAO, I completely missed that one... "mcguyverish" is shall be.

• 11 months later...

I made a little setup that rides on the rope.. you can place it as far away or close to the rider you like.. its pretty cool little setup..

Edited by zenxteninc

I just use one of the small black mounts with the double stick tape. I mounted mine on the transom near the blower vents and the camera doesn't move. I've used it on there for a couple of years now and haven't had any issues. The pros are the angle is under the rope for kind of a cool view, the cons being it occasionally gets splashed on the lens cover.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I've made two or three mounts. The first was made out of an old golf club. Cut the rest of the graphite shaft off after the rubber grip. Used that with the handle bar mount to make a little hand held camera mount. The second was made out of a telescoping painters pole. We used that with the handle bar mount too to film from a tube. The last mount I made was made out of the plastic tube that holds 3 tennis balls. (it fits perfectly snug in our axis cup holders). I used an old wakeboard handle and stuck it through a hole I cut in the lid. I put a piece of pool noodle around the handle inside the tennis ball sleeve to take up excess room and not let the handle move. Plus it adds to the flotation of the unit if it ever made it way into the water. The 3-4 inches of handle that's sticking up out of the tennis ball sleeve is where i mounted the handle bar mount for the gopro. With that sitting in the cup holder, nobody has to hold the camera, and it raises it up high enought that you dont get any of the rear compartments/seats in the shot. And with all of these contraptions, I used the floaty backdoor on the gopro. It has made its way into the water before and the floaty backdoor does its job.