Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

90's slalom boat

Gettin'old

I am helping my internet challenged parents look for a new slalom tractor. Budget is $8-12k, open or closed bow doesn't matter. Any experience (15' off slalom wake, interior quality, storage, etc.) with the following boats would be appreciated:

- Response

- Echelon

- 91-94 PS190

- Brendella Shortline

- Ski Nautique 196

I know this is a Malibu forum, but I have read several threads and appreciate the honest responses of the crew members, its not just "Malibu is the best and the rest suck". Thanks in advance.

The 95-98 MC prostar 190 should be on your list too. That is what I slalom behind and it's in your price range, but you will have to look around a little and it won't be in perfect shape most likely.

I have a 1997 closed bow Echelon and ski 15 off at 32 mph. I have also skied behind a 1994 MC PS190 a lot. The Echelon has a much better fit and finish and better storage. You should also be able to get a better condition Echelon for a bit less than a MC PS 190. In my opinion the MC PS 190 has a better wake at 15 off than the Echelon by a small amount. In reality, The wake behind either of these boats will not be a limiting factor in skiing performance unless you are an absolute all star.

The 95-98 MC prostar 190 should be on your list too. That is what I slalom behind and it's in your price range, but you will have to look around a little and it won't be in perfect shape most likely.

I second the Prostar. My local ski club has a 1989 Prostar 197. It is beautiful, throws a magnificent wake, and is in remarkable condition. Though obviously that has a lot to do with how well the owner has treated it.

Based on your price range the Ski Nautique will have the biggest wake, but drives the best and bulletproof. You need a 97+ SN to get the small wake. 91-94 190's are great. I own a 90 and wish it was a 91+. I ski the most behind a 92 190, and for the money is a great ski boat. However, for the price range you are looking at, your parents could get a Response lx or echelon lx and have a much better all around boat than the 190. I have a 96 RLX and although it has a little bit bigger wake than the 190, it has less spray and drives better than the 190. It is great having the extra seats up front, while retaining the full observers seat as well. EFI would be nice if you can get it.

Edited by Brodie

You mention 15 off opinions. Is that the main length they will be using? And what speed?

Some of these boats are better 22 off's than others. Some throw more spray if you are 35 + off.

97+ Ski Nautique is SOLID all around and the best 22 of in my opinion and arguably drives the best in the course if set up correctly. I am a huge fan of the Echelon if built quality is important to you. 91 - 94 Craft is one of my favorites of all time, but throws more spray than Malibu / CC at shortline. Brendella has a tough 22 off especially at slower speeds.

Since your West you might want to Consider an MB 190 as well

You will save some money if you find a closed bow Echelon / Response vs an open probably.

You mention 15 off opinions. Is that the main length they will be using? And what speed?

They freeski only, 100% of the time at 15' off 32-34 mph.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming!