Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LSV 23 Oil Consumption

rlanderos11

Currently i have 65 hours on the boat and I been adding 1 quart of oil every 10 hours is this normal. The boat is used mostly for wakeboarding. Dealer says its normal to use oil and to just keep an eye on it.

What engine, that sounds like a lot, I have a 247 with the 8.1 and I don't use any oil and i'm at 135 hrs. they say the hammerheads tend to burn oil. but at the rate that would be using 5 quarts between oil changes. if your adding that much oil you practically don't have to change it.

• Like 1

The dealer was incorrect on that amount of oil usage.

There's a big leak somewhere. Way more info is needed, but, regardless if it is under warranty, needs looked at sooner than later. that oil is going somewhere.

Steve B.

10 hours is not too much if its a hemmerhead. Depends on how much gas u use. You could easily consume 55 gallons in 5 hours.

Edited by JoeMama

Indmar Products

5400 Old Millington Road

Millington, TN 38053

Phone 901-353-9930

Fax 901-358-4292

SERVICE ADVISORY

Date: September 12, 2009

Advisory SV2009-5

Subject: 383 Oil Issues

The Malibu 383 Hammerhead is a unique high performance engine that exhibits

some characteristics that are different than customers are used to experiencing

with standard engines. The 383 is a “hot rod” and as such exhibits some “hot rod”

characteristics.

The 383 has what hot-rodders refer to as a “lumpy” cam so it isn’t going to idle

silky-smooth like a standard 5.7. Most performance oriented customers

recognize this trait from other high performance engines. It is the nature of the

beast and is one of the things that gives this engine its extra kick and puts a

smile on your face when you hit the throttle.

383’s have a tendency to use some oil. Oil consumption of a quart in 4-6 hours,

especially at high rpm and heavy loads is not out of the ordinary and is a pretty

common trait on high performance engines. To ensure that your 383 continues to

run trouble-free, Indmar is recommending a change to the oil level in the engine

and to make it easier for you we are sending you a new dipstick that reflects the

new level. We suggest that you install this new dipstick and throw the old one

away. When the engine is full to the full mark on the new dipstick the oil level in

your may be 1 to 2 quarts higher than with the old dipstick.

When we change oil we like to pre-fill the oil filter at least ½ to ¾ of the way full

before we install it on the engine. We then pour the remainder of the open bottle

and 3 additional quarts into the crankcase and start the engine and let it run for a

couple of minutes. While it is running we check for leaks etc and give the new oil

a chance to circulate through the engine. We then shut the engine off and give

the oil a couple of minutes to drain back to the pan. We then check the oil with

the dipstick and add oil to fill the crankcase to the full mark on the dipstick.

Currently i have 65 hours on the boat and I been adding 1 quart of oil every 10 hours is this normal. The boat is used mostly for wakeboarding. Dealer says its normal to use oil and to just keep an eye on it.

I have the same boat and engine and it does not consume oil. The oil was changed at 10 hours (initial change), at 50 hours (end of season) and is now at 80 hours. The boat is used mainly for surfing and I check the oil levels regularly. I don't think this is normal.

I'll chime in here. I have an '07 LSV with the Monsoon, 140 hrs on it. I bought the boat last yr with 64 hrs and it has burned oil ever since buying it. I burn through about a quart every 40 hrs or so. I am right in line with Indmar's oil consumption chart, so I'm not too worried about it. I watch the level religiously and it is consuming oil very linearly, meaning 1/4 quart every 10 hrs or so. I am attributing this to a poor break-in technique, so nothing I can do about it. I have owned quite a few high performance, professionally built motors that ate oil due to being built "loose", so it really doesn't bother me much. But.....with that all being said, 1 quart per 10 hrs seems high.

Edited by gorilla

A top notch Hi performance engine is not built lose! We spent hours and hours getting every tolerance to bear minimum.

If I had to take a shot at oil use on the 383's I would bet on piston ring flutter and piston to wall clearance.

• Like 1

A top notch Hi performance engine is not built lose! We spent hours and hours getting every tolerance to bear minimum.

very true, but my experience is with built turbo motors. I should have said that. these motors produce plenty of in-cylinder heat and the ring gaps are larger to accommodate for the extra expansion of the metal. boat motors see a higher load for longer periods of time than car motors, so you can kind of guess that the in-cylinder temps are pretty high for that sustained period of time. that's why I'm not really worried about my minimal oil consumption. I worded that poorly in my other post. every motor should be built so it is within factory specs, but some are loose, some are tight (spec range). mine just happens to be on the loose side.

Great Topic, I for some reason decided to check my oil the other day during a complete detail, and it was like the article said, about a full qt low, My guess i had put about 54 Hr on it this summer, So I guess I need to change that oil now according to what Indmar says?? I just assumed that being a new engine they would not burn oil so thats why I did not check it before.

Edited by Wakesetter67
jkendallmsce

Interesting thread with input from indmar:

http://www.moomba.co...CHANGE-YOUR-OIL!

I am looking at the chart, and wondering just how my 1990 skier ever went 50 mph..cause it only had 260 HP and it looks like, according to the chart, you need nearly 500 HP to reach 45 ish mph, let alone the nearly 50 it would do. or my 1998 LX could hit 50 mph with the 325 HP monsoon in it?? And the 2010 LXI with the LS3 engine..it only has 425 HP??

ANd I don't even want to talk about the ole Bayliner and what it'll do!!

I am simply wondering what kind a"sled" they are using in their tests?? and it says unballasted 24 foot boat???

ANd all boats are unballasted. and the 2 were able to do 50 mph, and the LXI nearly 50 mph...

Edited by jkendallmsce
jkendallmsce

Indmar Products

5400 Old Millington Road

Millington, TN 38053

Phone 901-353-9930

Fax 901-358-4292

SERVICE ADVISORY

Date: September 12, 2009

Advisory SV2009-5

Subject: 383 Oil Issues

The Malibu 383 Hammerhead is a unique high performance engine that exhibits

some characteristics that are different than customers are used to experiencing

with standard engines. The 383 is a “hot rod” and as such exhibits some “hot rod”

characteristics.

The 383 has what hot-rodders refer to as a “lumpy” cam so it isn’t going to idle

silky-smooth like a standard 5.7. Most performance oriented customers

recognize this trait from other high performance engines. It is the nature of the

beast and is one of the things that gives this engine its extra kick and puts a

smile on your face when you hit the throttle.

383’s have a tendency to use some oil. Oil consumption of a quart in 4-6 hours,

especially at high rpm and heavy loads is not out of the ordinary and is a pretty

common trait on high performance engines. To ensure that your 383 continues to

run trouble-free, Indmar is recommending a change to the oil level in the engine

and to make it easier for you we are sending you a new dipstick that reflects the

new level. We suggest that you install this new dipstick and throw the old one

away. When the engine is full to the full mark on the new dipstick the oil level in

your may be 1 to 2 quarts higher than with the old dipstick.

When we change oil we like to pre-fill the oil filter at least ½ to ¾ of the way full

before we install it on the engine. We then pour the remainder of the open bottle

and 3 additional quarts into the crankcase and start the engine and let it run for a

couple of minutes. While it is running we check for leaks etc and give the new oil

a chance to circulate through the engine. We then shut the engine off and give

the oil a couple of minutes to drain back to the pan. We then check the oil with

the dipstick and add oil to fill the crankcase to the full mark on the dipstick.

Ya I got one of those dipsticks in the mail from Indmar...what a joke.

I don't remember Malibu telling me I should be a part owner in an oil company when I picked up the boat.

Knowing it used that much oil, there should have been a 5 gal oil reservior under the bow to keep it from running low.

• Like 2