Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

greesing rudder

WOODSBU2

My boat is stored about 200 miles away and I was going there this weekend and wanted to greese the rudder. I've never done this. Do I need an extension hose

or do I not need a hose at all for my greese gun? Is there just one fitting to greese?

There are two grease points on the rudder shaft. They will be obvious once you look done there. Just a pump or two into each fitting. Too much grease can actually make steering harder. It is helpful to have someone work the steering wheel back and forth while you slowly pump. Also make sure you steering cable guide rod is clean and greased too while your at it.

I use a rubber hose extension on my gun. It just makes it easy to connect in the tight bilge space.

Have fun!

What type of grease shoud you use, 95 sunsetter and have never done this to the rudder. Not even sure if we have grease fittings on the rudder?

Any good marine waterproof grease will do. Remover your rear seat base, flip up your rear seat back, flip up the floor piece between your motor and stern, and look under the gas tank. You should see the rudder shaft sticking up with two grease fittings.