Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pulling Boat out of Lake after 2 1/2 months

This is the first season I have left my boat in a slip and I have to get it out of the water in the next two weeks. There is a decent amount of build-out on the bottom and I'm looking for a cleaning solution that will the muck off easy - suggestions??

sno-bowl straight or sno-bowl and hydrogen peroxide - leave sit for 5, and it will come right off with a light scrub brush. (i just use it straight on a mop)

You can also use 50/50 mix of water and muriatic acid. make sure you have good ventilation and try and keep it from hitting your trailer, but it will take it off in seconds.

You can also use 50/50 mix of water and muriatic acid. make sure you have good ventilation and try and keep it from hitting your trailer, but it will take it off in seconds.

Muriatic acid? No thanks!

Snobowl's active ingredient is hydrochloric acid.

Muriatic acid's active ingredient is hydrochloric acid.

Starbrite is oxalic acid and ehylene glycol (antifreeze).

Either way, you are putting acid on your boat. Might as well get the pure stuff (muriatic) and dilute it with water.

I use muriatic acid with the pool. I should just put the boat in the pool. ;)

Just make sure someone takes a video of that, wouldn't want to miss seeing that play out!

Edited by mnhays
  • Like 1

I don't know about fresh water, but every slip way on salt water hits it with a hi pressure water hose. Once it drys a good polish should bring it up brand new.

I use muriatic acid with the pool. I should just put the boat in the pool. ;)

Exactly!

The reason you use muriatic in the pool is cuz it is pure HCL, no other stuff in it. It dilutes easily with water and helps you maintain the correct ph. It also rinses off easily, since it mixes so well with water. That's why I use it on my hull, diluting in by 50% with water. Simple, clean and cheap. Doesn't hurt gel or decals, but will corrode exposed metal (trailer) so you have to rinse it right away. It will not eat away paint from painted metal, it's not like that. Only attacks organic material. Use copious amounts of water when rinsing and you won't find a trace of it.

I'm in the minority on this, I guess, but I go after the stuff while the boat is still in the water just before we pull it out. No chemicals. Just skin-diving equipment and a decent car brush and the stuff comes off without any trouble at all. I know it's not practical for everyone to do this, but it sure beats working on it after the scum has dried. We've been doing this for the past 23 years, and none of our boats have ever had a water line.

Snobowl's active ingredient is hydrochloric acid.

Muriatic acid's active ingredient is hydrochloric acid.

Starbrite is oxalic acid and ehylene glycol (antifreeze).

Either way, you are putting acid on your boat. Might as well get the pure stuff (muriatic) and dilute it with water.

Do as you oughter, add acid to water. Water to acid, you're gonna get blasted. Just a sample of what little chemistry I remember from college!