Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Finally in the CLUB

Nick in the TC

Well, after 18 years of slalom skiing I'm now officially in the "Stiches in your head from a waterski" "Club". I was free skiing at 36 with 28 off, my normal in the course, when I hit the wake a little off balance a went down. My front foot came out of the boot and the tip of the ski came up to slice open my forhead. It happened so quick, like always, but I knew something was up. I felt my forhead with my gloves on and sure enough there was a whole bunch of red stuff on them. Both my uncles have been long time members of this club and now I can say that I will have the scar to show it. 6 stiches later, I finally feel like a true slalom skier. I know there are many other members in this club so I'm asking you to throw up some pics of when it happened or of the scars now.

P8142020.jpgP8132018.jpg

Whoa glad it wasn't too serious. Well not officially part of the club, sure tore my ankle does that count...lol

Yes! Longer recovery. I did mine last August, barely back this august :( How did you do yours? I didn't come out of the bindings. Have double Wileys now!

one of the crew bought a new boat a while back. his buddy is at the throttle and the boat owner ends up bleeding (similar to pix).

gentleman at the throttle would NOT let the owner back in his own boat! :rofl:

"you're not bleeding all over a new boat!".

laughed until my sides hurt!

Yes! Longer recovery. I did mine last August, barely back this august :( How did you do yours? I didn't come out of the bindings. Have double Wileys now!

I came into ball 5 and was late rushed it and basically with bad positioning and form sort of stuck the ski and stopped abruptly but I kept going. My rear foot came out of the HO Animal binding (still not sure how that is possible in double boots) while the front stayed in did a couple of rolls and whatnot. I didn’t break it but fubard all the ligaments and tendons. The doc said sadly it would have been better to break it instead, because what you did will never completely heal. Even to this day it’s hard to do jumping jacks and hurts doing the wrong ankle movement (especially lateral movements) it creates a jolting pain. Just a sharp reminder correct body position and don’t rush the gates…usually ends up bad… I had to be off the ski for a minimum of 6 weeks roughly the same as if I would have broken it. Several years later it still plagues me.

OUCH !.....if it's all the same.....I'm OK with not being a member of this club. Going on 38 years on a slalom ski and 22 years on bare feet and no scars or lasting injuries.

Dang ! I hope I didn't just jinx myself :(

jkendallmsce

forget how the whole saying goes, but includes broken bones mend....but chicks love scars.

NO scars, but broken ribs, broken eardrums, and messed up shoulder and back.

Folks have no idea how hard that pesky course is.

Was sitting in the boat watching Mike Champion, when he was top five in the world, and started off at 32 off, and just like you young bucks, @ 36 mph....Mike made it look easy.

The good news, when you get older, you can slow down to 34 mph!!

I had a t shirt to soak up the blood,so not to much in the boat. And ya, I think it is 34 years old you go down to 34 mph so only 3 more summers and I can do that.

I came into ball 5 and was late rushed it and basically with bad positioning and form sort of stuck the ski and stopped abruptly but I kept going. My rear foot came out of the HO Animal binding (still not sure how that is possible in double boots) while the front stayed in did a couple of rolls and whatnot. I didn’t break it but fubard all the ligaments and tendons. The doc said sadly it would have been better to break it instead, because what you did will never completely heal. Even to this day it’s hard to do jumping jacks and hurts doing the wrong ankle movement (especially lateral movements) it creates a jolting pain. Just a sharp reminder correct body position and don’t rush the gates…usually ends up bad… I had to be off the ski for a minimum of 6 weeks roughly the same as if I would have broken it. Several years later it still plagues me.

Sounds strangely familiar. I went over the front. Front foot didn't pop out of my Radar rails. Doc said same thing, would have been better if I broke it. Still have scaring and is sore/stiff every morning....

jkendallmsce

Sounds strangely familiar. I went over the front. Front foot didn't pop out of my Radar rails. Doc said same thing, would have been better if I broke it. Still have scaring and is sore/stiff every morning....

Who ever said skiing is a non contact sport?? Played sports all thru college, and I have been hurt worse skiing...course I am 20 years older too...which does not help.