Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tire Caution

HeinenHI

I bought a used boat this spring to pull to WI from TX and back, about 2,400 miles total. Original GY Marathon's from '99 tandem trailer, so they are at least 13 years old but probably 14 or 15. Lost one tire due to a nail that I noticed when stopped and doing a walk around. Lost another tire while under way in typical dramatic fashion, but we had just crossed a very dirty median so we could have picked up a nail again and lost pressure. So, can't blame the tires for the nail, but ~2,400 miles and one blowout was better than I expected. I knew the risk I was taking, but couldn't bring myself to drop ~600 on tires at that point. When we lost the tire under way we felt the vibration, but the tandem trailer was totally stable and there was very little excitement during the event. I have a ramp to drive the good wheel on the trailer up that elevates the other wheel, so changing tires is a snap. The only stress was running for about 600 miles without a spare, and worrying about one of the other tires going. One lesson I learned is that it seams that Walmart and Sears are about the only places to find tires on the road in rural OK, and they don't carry 215/75 R14. I'm considering changing to 205/70 R14 as that is the size they had, but I have to do the research to determine if my trailer can use that size and if there are any drawbacks.

And I did not edit in the lazy boy comment ...my spelling/typing sucks so I corrected several mispellings.

I cal BS - I get instant e-mail notifications - the lazyboy comment was not in the original post.

Emailed copy of original post:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------ QUOTE ----------

Wow I have the original tires since I got the boat. How do you find a date code? I looked at mine and don't see a DOT number. They all say made in canada. Goodyear Marathons.

-----------------------------

the DOT code/stamp will be either side of the tire and right next to the rim. All tires are date coded. there will be 4 X'x first 2 are the month made and the second 2 are the year.

Your edited post: (note - no spelling errors corrected)

the DOT code/stamp will be either side of the tire and right next to the rim. All tires are date coded. ya gotta get outta or offa the lazy boy and run out an take a peek at the tires on the trailer. there will be 4 X'x first 2 are the month made and the second 2 are the year.

jkendallmsce

I cal BS - I get instant e-mail notifications - the lazyboy comment was not in the original post.

Emailed copy of original post:

------------ QUOTE ----------

Wow I have the original tires since I got the boat. How do you find a date code? I looked at mine and don't see a DOT number. They all say made in canada. Goodyear Marathons.

-----------------------------

the DOT code/stamp will be either side of the tire and right next to the rim. All tires are date coded. there will be 4 X'x first 2 are the month made and the second 2 are the year.

Your edited post: (note - no spelling errors corrected)

the DOT code/stamp will be either side of the tire and right next to the rim. All tires are date coded. ya gotta get outta or offa the lazy boy and run out an take a peek at the tires on the trailer. there will be 4 X'x first 2 are the month made and the second 2 are the year.

BOy do I feel stupid....tell ya what, you get a gold star AND an atta boy!!

NOw since your tires are dated 2002, lets see how your math skills are:

If johnnies tires are dated 2002 and it is now 2012, how old are johnnie's tires

Edited by jkendallmsce

My extreme came with 14" rims, and I can't seem to find more tha a C rated tire in that size. Sid your trailers come with a larger rim to put better rated tires on them?

Mine too and a wierd size 215/75/14. Hard to find. Although the weight load is better than the 205s.

Mine too and a wierd size 215/75/14. Hard to find. Although the weight load is better than the 205s.

My Ryan trailer came with 14's also, and I found some LT /load range D tires I am probably going with next. Don't recall the brand or specific size.

You could go to a 205 and get a load range D - http://www.tirerack....&partnum=0R4857

Edited by MalibuTime

BOy do I feel stupid....tell ya what, you get a gold star AND an atta boy!!

NOw since your tires are dated 2002, lets see how your math skills are:

If johnnies tires are dated 2002 and it is now 1012, how old are johnnie's tires

This must be a trick question. The answer is -990 years (negative 990 years).

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Goodyears or boatmates are good, but if you want the best trailer tires. Buy DICO tires now, made by Titan International [TWI]. They bought Denman tires during the auto crash and restarted the tooling making DICO tires. They also have the best parts to repair trailers. MADE IN AMERICA!

I bought mine at Pete's roadside Service in Fullerton, CA

Ding Ding we have a winner - My tires are from 2002.

DOT code was on the inside of all 4.

You're tires are non directional...so they can be mounted either side out and they will look and function the same...Typically on off orad and high performance tires are directional.