Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tire Caution

HeinenHI

I purchase a VLX in March last year and have been having the time of my life with it! Hands down best purchase of my life for my wife and 3 kids.

Now the story, last week we spent 7 days on the Whitefish chain of lakes in northern Minnesota. Thirteen lakes, 220 miles of lake shore, weather was good, had a great time.

Forty miles into the trip home I blow the drivers side rear on the trailer. It disintegrated and hooked the fender into the wheel well. Not happy but had a great week. Put the spare on and continued home. Thirty miles later the drivers side front blows. Had to leave the boat on the side of the road but luckily I was only 5 miles from home. I went to the tire store and after a few trips back and forth the boat had new rubber.

The point of the story is that my tires had about 50% life remaining and were not weather checked. When I questioned the tire guy he stated that he sees that happen a fair amount on the Goodyear Marathon tires. The boat is a 2005 so the tires are not new but looked fine. When I took off the spare to mount it back on the trailer I noticed the steel belts were sticking out everywhere. Getting a new spare also.

I am happy that this happened on the way home on a Saturday afternoon and not on a Sunday night at midnight.

I am not sure how to check your tires for this but consider this your warning if you have 7 year old Goodyear Marathons.

I "had" goodyear marathon's on my. Just replaced with new skins cause one had belt separated and went flat. What appears to happen after a few years is the steel belts actually separate inside the tire. If your traveling down the road when this happens you get to see the tire literally tear apart. I have had many different trailers over the years with different tire brands and they all seem to do this at some point before you wear the tread out on the tire. IMHO Anything more that about 5-6 years on trailer tires and your pushing your luck.

My suspicion is it has to do with the the trailer tires sitting for long periods of time (off season) and developing a flat spot, that eventually causes the belts to separate. Of course how much (distance) you haul your boat probably factors in there too.

Years ago, I had a similar experience. Tire blew returning from a trip, taking out the fender and brake light in the process. On my way to get the trailer repaired a few days later, the rear tire on the other side goes - similar damage to fender and light. Tire manufacturer picked up most of the cost for the damage as there was a known problem.

After a couple long conversations with the manufacturer's rep, I buy new tires every 3 years. The old bias ply trailer tires used to give some warning when they needed to be replaced via cracked sidewalls, etc. The radial version fail from the inside. For me, $400 every 3 years is just another cost of owning and enjoying a boat.

It is not that Goodyear Marathon are bad tires. It is the fact you had tires on the trailer from 2005. Your trailer tires should changed at least every 4 years no matter how much you tow. 7 years was way too long for trailer tires.

jkendallmsce

NOthing lasts forever...Goodyear has had QC problems with their trailer (Marathon) tires...therre are many articles about that issue. Several posts about the very same problem on this site.

Ya'll need to verify/check the age of your tires...they all have a DOT patch that identifies the week and year the tire was made...from that you can calculate how old your tires on your really are.....and yes...when buying new ones, ya'll need to check that you are getting new tires, not ones that have been in the back room for 1-2 to even5 years. same goes for the batteries.

Tire companies have dicided that they make more money with a lesser quality product, and you'll be back after 3-5 years....rather than 5=8 years. Think back 15-20 years, and you could get warranties on your tires for 100,000 miles...now all ya get is maybe 60-80k??

ANd after about 3-4 years, you increase the risk of a tire separating and ruining that $500-1000 stianless steel fender or your weekend....or even worse.

Replacing my tires this week also. Any advice on what to put on Boatmate? I also have Goodyr Marathons.

My trailer is a 2008 so the tires were 4+ years old.

I just bought a set of 4 Kuhmo 205R14, Load Range D. $127 each at tire rack and then I had them mounted and balanced at BigO tire.

These are a little taller than the tires that came on the trailer (Trail America) but there is still good clearance. Several people on here recommended these tires.

Interesting - even the guys at Big O were impressed with the tires and they did not know there was a Load Range D trailer tire available in a 14".

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857&partnum=0R4857

• Like 1

Just make sure the tire place only changes one side at time. We have a big chunk missing out of the port chine, $950.00 worth:( The jack sliped and took out the fender and hit the boat. Glad that part of the boat is white.

I had a blowout this weekend on my way home. The tread separated, but it still maintained the air pressure. Interestingly I have tire pressure / temperature sensors on all my tires (to avoid EXACTLY what happened), and the temperature hadn't climbed at all to indicate something was going on. They are Carlisle tires (heard bad things about them). I just checked the date on them (based on the above video) and they were manufactured in 04 (my boat is an 08!!!). I was lucky not to have a blowout and damage the fender, etc. I can say, however, that doing 65-70 when it throws the tread is still a scary incident. I felt it in the truck immidieatly. Wife thought we were going to go off the road. I talked to the owner of Ryan Trailers - and he said those tires are know for that -and its not if - its when the other 3 will blow. He actually uses Hankook tires (which mind you are NOT trailer tires). He has sold those to a number of people who are looking to match the original size (235/60/15) and has heard nothing but rave reviews. He said you need to de-rate passenger tires by 10% on weight and make sure you are still in safe range with your boat and trailer weight.

I fail to see the point in buying a new set of trailer tires every few years. A gently used set of P- or LT- rated tires can be had for the price of one new trailer tire. Maybe this varies by state but around here any kind of trailer, except boats, don't even come with a new set of tires. In rural areas when you buy a new set of tires for the farm truck, the old tires go right on the gooseneck or the cattle trailer. Now if a set of worn out Load E's can safely handle a 20k+ equipment trailer, I don't see why a set of passenger tires won't hold a boat safely. I think most people grossly overestimate the load that the average inboard boat is exerting on a set of tires or their tow vehicle. Like a said, it may be different in other states as far as laws go but I would not feel the least bit unsafe putting used tires on my boats or anything heavier that I regularly pull. I'd much rather have a used set of Michelins on my trailers than any of the trailer tire brands on the market.

Yep, i'm in the same position. Saturday night I had a tire develop a severe vibration. Upon further inspection, there was a not and the tread was seperating and the steel belts were hanging out. Luckily, I made it home before she blew. 2005 Goodyear Marathons.

I lost a tire on the way to Lake Powell last year just outside Phoenix. Decided to go on to Flagstaff and get a new tire there to have a spare before going across the reservation. Made it to Powelll and back with no issues. When I talked to the Malibu mechanic he said it was prettty normal to see trailer damage on trailers older than five years. He recommended new tires every three years, four was a push, five was a blowout waiting to happen.

jkendallmsce

Wow I have the original tires since I got the boat. How do you find a date code? I looked at mine and don't see a DOT number. They all say made in canada. Goodyear Marathons.

the DOT code/stamp will be either side of the tire and right next to the rim. All tires are date coded. ya gotta get outta or offa the lazy boy and run out an take a peek at the tires on the trailer. there will be 4 X'x first 2 are the month made and the second 2 are the year.

Edited by jkendallmsce
jkendallmsce

I fail to see the point in buying a new set of trailer tires every few years. A gently used set of P- or LT- rated tires can be had for the price of one new trailer tire. Maybe this varies by state but around here any kind of trailer, except boats, don't even come with a new set of tires. In rural areas when you buy a new set of tires for the farm truck, the old tires go right on the gooseneck or the cattle trailer. Now if a set of worn out Load E's can safely handle a 20k+ equipment trailer, I don't see why a set of passenger tires won't hold a boat safely. I think most people grossly overestimate the load that the average inboard boat is exerting on a set of tires or their tow vehicle. Like a said, it may be different in other states as far as laws go but I would not feel the least bit unsafe putting used tires on my boats or anything heavier that I regularly pull. I'd much rather have a used set of Michelins on my trailers than any of the trailer tire brands on the market.

this coming from a state that elected not only Al Gore but his pappy. YA got the info, what ya do with it is up to you!!

Our local tire place (3rd generation) told me to go with bias tires. They said that because my trailer gets little use and is stationary a lot, the belts will corrode and separate with radials. Bias tires will not do that (according to them).

the DOT code/stamp will be either side of the tire and right next to the rim. All tires are date coded. ya gotta get outta or offa the lazy boy and run out an take a peek at the tires on the trailer. there will be 4 X'x first 2 are the month made and the second 2 are the year.

What's the lazyboy comment you edited in for? I looked last night and I looked again in the daylight. The only numbers on the tires anywhere are:

T272913-BW-1

T302197-BW-1

T311899-BW-1

T302198-BW-1

I only use the trailer to put the boat in at the beginning of the year (April) and the end of the season (November) unless I have some other problem. I know they are at least 6 years old and probably 9+ if they are originals.

All this makes me want to run over to my storage unit this morning and check mine! I have a 2010 so I should be fine, but if the tires were made in 2009 I might be at the end of the line for this set.

I also thought that I saw a thread on here or WW about another type of tire that wasn't rubber but is still a trailer tire. Almost like a hard rubber with no air that doesn't last as long but the blow-out is not an issue as the tire is solid.

What's the lazyboy comment you edited in for? I looked last night and I looked again in the daylight. The only numbers on the tires anywhere are:

T272913-BW-1

T302197-BW-1

T311899-BW-1

T302198-BW-1

I only use the trailer to put the boat in at the beginning of the year (April) and the end of the season (November) unless I have some other problem. I know they are at least 6 years old and probably 9+ if they are originals.

My codes where on the inside. I had to stick my head under the trailer. Edited by teamerickson

IMHO... stop putting trailer tires with a load class C on your trailer. Even better, put some light truck tires on it instead. I just put some BFG AT KO's on my Boatmate Trailer and plan to use them for at least 5-7 years.

• Like 1

You guys are giving me something to think about. I had new tires put on about 3 years ago and trailered the Bu about 1/2 mile each way to the landing a couple times a year and she sat in the garage the rest of the time. This year, I brought her home (370 miles) and trail it about 35 miles to the river 1-2x a weekend. Guess I better check those date codes! Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

You guys are giving me something to think about. I had new tires put on about 3 years ago and trailered the Bu about 1/2 mile each way to the landing a couple times a year and she sat in the garage the rest of the time. This year, I brought her home (370 miles) and trail it about 35 miles to the river 1-2x a weekend. Guess I better check those date codes! Thanks for the heads up.

I got my first Bu about 2 months ago. It had 9 year old tires! When I finally had the time to replace the only place open was Americas Tire. They really only have Caryle. Got the lifetime replacement option for $13 a tire.
jkendallmsce

Yep, i'm in the same position. Saturday night I had a tire develop a severe vibration. Upon further inspection, there was a not and the tread was seperating and the steel belts were hanging out. Luckily, I made it home before she blew. 2005 Goodyear Marathons.

others folks were not so lucky. The air pressure is critical to maintain, BUT there are other issues.

Think about it,,,your holding to-40 psi for years, then draggin a 3000 # boat around....for 4 years...your bound to be a tad tired! And then add in sitting out under the sun. There separating is the big problem with the Goodyears.

jkendallmsce

T272913-BW-1

T302197-BW-1

T311899-BW-1

T302198-BW-1

Just trying to help...you are MISSING the point...it has NOTHING to do with how much tread is on the tire....reread the posts!!! The bond between the tire casing and the steel belt SEPARATES and the tire fails...and if that happens when going down the road at 60 mph it fails big time. Just how many folks are pulling their boats 30,000-50,000/yr?? The tires are old, and as they older they...just read the posts.

What you do with the info is up to you. You can lead a horse to water, but I'll be darned if I am going to suck his hinny to get him to drink!! I don't care what ya'll do with your trailer tires. You can put them on your double wide, for all I care. ANd ALL tires have the DOT code on the tire. The tires are non directional, so they can be on the inside or outside. And the tires has LOTS of numbers on them...maybe that is where you are getting cornfused!!

And I did not edit in the lazy boy comment ...my spelling/typing sucks so I corrected several mispellings.

Edited by jkendallmsce