Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Considering purchasing an '04 VLX. Appreciate input.

ac505

I've been looking for a while to replace my '97 Sport Nautique and to be honest was looking at X2's and SAN's as the replacement, I know the boats well and have ridden behind them many times.

In the UK there is not much in the way of stock of boats around the age and money I am looking at however have just come across a 2004 Malibu Wakesetter VLX which comes in a little cheaper than a comparable aged SAN or X2. I have very little knowledge of the 2004 VLX, so would be interested in some feedback on the basics such as wake, do you use a wedge or just sack it out , interior quality, any problem areas to look out for etc, problems with swoop tower, benefits of VLX over X2 or SAN etc etc. Looking forward to the input. thanks!

I love mine. super high quality interior. sack it out for wakeboarding with no wedge (1,800 pounds) use the wedge for surfing. swoop is a good tower. not the best in my opinion, but good. Fuel injected monsoon is the best motor ever. We were at a tournament last weekend and many people asked to let them know if I ever want to sell.

no time soon

• Like 1

My last boat way a Sport Nautique loved it. Now I have the same hull you are looking at big up grade for wake boarding and surfing for skiing it it very nice for a v drive but again it is a v drive. I ride center full and wedge down at 21 wake boarding surfing 11.2 surf side back compartment full have a 1100 center full and 300 up front wedge down. The only thing I would check if I was you is how easy is it too get part in the UK. Maybe cost more than the other boats and if there is any good shops to work on it hope you never need it but anything can happen. Also the best part about owning a Malibu is you have us so you don't need a shop. :werule:

• Like 3

I've been looking for a while to replace my '97 Sport Nautique and to be honest was looking at X2's and SAN's as the replacement, I know the boats well and have ridden behind them many times.

In the UK there is not much in the way of stock of boats around the age and money I am looking at however have just come across a 2004 Malibu Wakesetter VLX which comes in a little cheaper than a comparable aged SAN or X2. I have very little knowledge of the 2004 VLX, so would be interested in some feedback on the basics such as wake, do you use a wedge or just sack it out , interior quality, any problem areas to look out for etc, problems with swoop tower, benefits of VLX over X2 or SAN etc etc. Looking forward to the input. thanks!

The models you listed are the big three for wakeboarding boats that started it all, so really you can't go wrong with any in my opinion. Those were the same three we were looking at and we decided on the VLX. It all came down to condition and location for us. I'll do a quick break down of each boat for you though, hopefully it helps.

The '04 X2 is actually the same hull as the 2nd gen X-Star which was used from 1999-2002. It is a very solid boat, the wakes have great shape. Many consider this to be one of the best wakeboarding hulls of all time. Mastercraft continued selling it until 2011 renamed as the X1. The X2 hull is slightly smaller than the SAN and the VLX. It really shows in the interior, don't expect to load it up with more than 6 people unless you don't mind being tight.

I don't have any personal experience with SAN's but did some research while we were shopping. From what I found Nautiques wakes are more vertical. They aren't the most beginner friendly (again going from what I read). People debate constantly about the SAN and X star wake. I'd say either would be great. I remember reading the storage is somewhat limited on the SAN's, something about the seats not all having storage underneath? The SAN's have integrated grab rails on the interior, which could be nice for holding onto going through double ups.

The VLX of the three IMO has the best interior hands down. It feels very plush, much bigger, and there's a portable table. There is also ton's of storage (some suggest removing the factory hard tanks in the rear and replacing with bags to make more room). We are picking up our '02 VLX later this week (same hull as the '04 you mentioned) so I can't comment on the wake. However, I read positive feedback on these forums, as well as others along with reviews to be convinced.

Again, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the boats you mentioned. It all comes down to which one was cared for. If the VLX is the cheaper of the three and was cared for, I'd get it for sure. After I saw a VLX in person for the first time I had a new appreciation for Malibu. My family has always owned Mastercraft until this point but Malibu really impressed us. The VLX will feel more roomy than the SAN or X2.

If your still looking for more information, try doing a google search for reviews on the boats. Waterskimag and wakeboardingmag are great sources. Some of their reviews of the older boats are no longer listed though but like I said look for any review on the X1, it's the same hull. Good luck!

Edited by petefranc

Having been in the same boat before I bought my boat, I will say the 04 wakesetter overall is one of the best choices. The hull is tried and true. It was the flagship Malibu hull from 2000 to 2004, then used as a ride series hull until 2008. The wake it makes is classic malibu, with a nice easy transition great for learning. It also scales very well with added weight.

The 04 wakesetter option wise, should come standard with 500 lb center tank, and optional 200 lb rear left/right tanks, and optional wedge. Wake is perfect empty for beginners, I ride with full ballast, no wedge (makes the wake steeper).

Of the 3 boats you listed to me it is the best boat. It's the largest on the inside, has the most friendly and easy to learn on wake, scales just like the others, has the nicest and most modern interior. You can't go wrong with either of the 3, but to me the malibu is the best, hence why I bought mine.

Excellent, thanks all for the input. Hoping to take my wife along to see a friends VLX in the next day or so. I am sure once she sees the available space, she will be sold on it.

Hull changed, lenght increase to 21.6 vs 21, beam increased 7 inches to 100 inches. Front ballast tank was added (optional). Overall bigger boat, and nicer features, but you'll see there is quite a difference in price of a 04 vs 05, vs 03 vs 04.

Where are you located? I have these two boats for sale. Both are very clean! vRide doesn't have rear ballast but I will throw in a couple of fat sacs with a pump! If you want the wake, engine and options go with the SAN, if you want space and a better all around boat get the vRide!

https://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=34434

https://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=34137

I seriously considered importing from the US. The company I work for operate Ro-Ro's so getting it across the pond, albeit from the east coast wouldnt be a problem. The issue however is having to pay duties and tax - makes it cheaper to buy in the UK unless going for a $40K+ boat.

I definately want to have a good surf wake, getting older (39) so dont know how many big impacts I have left in me.... Neither of the three boats on my list have particularly good surf wakes however, so I will have to live with what I get.

Edited by ac505

I seriously considered importing from the US. The company I work for operate Ro-Ro's so getting it across the pond, albeit from the east coast wouldnt be a problem. The issue however is having to pay duties and tax - makes it cheaper to buy in the UK unless going for a $40K+ boat.

I definately want to have a good surf wake, getting older (39) so dont know how many big impacts I have left in me.... Neither of the three boats on my list have particularly good surf wakes however, so I will have to live with what I get.

When we pick up our '02 VLX from the dealer I'll let you know how it surfs, along with what board I used and how we weighed the boat. I'm sure it will surf fine, just may need more weight and a larger board with more surface area.

In addition to what's already been mentioned, 05+ will surf WAY better than 04 and earlier. For wakeboarding the 04 and earlier hull is great.

I frequently surf behind both these boats. Like 3-4 times a week. Honestly I go back and forth on this. The more I surf the 05 hull the more I like it. Then I ride behind mine a bunch and like it better. I am 215 and get PLENTY of push behind my 05 vride (04 wake setter hull). I dare not put any more weight in it though.

Edited by Ruffdog

I dare not put any more weight in it though.

I guess that this is why I'd say the 05 is the better surf boat. Yes, you can get a good wave from the older hull, but you've got to be on constant watch for taking a roller, and the rub rail will be under water.

Fair to say "less margin for error"?

I guess that this is why I'd say the 05 is the better surf boat. Yes, you can get a good wave from the older hull, but you've got to be on constant watch for taking a roller, and the rub rail will be under water.

Fair to say "less margin for error"?

It's true. I think we weight both boats pretty close to the same... The newer boat being bigger handles it better.

I'll also say that both waves are soooo different that it's easy to see that someone would have a preference.

Would I upgrade to the newer hull if I could. You bet. Kids nearing college age and salary freezes make me totally happy with my boat. Now if I could sell that old mustang I use for a workbench....?????!!!!!

Edited by Ruffdog
  • 1 year later...

The '04 is generally going to drink less fuel simply because it is a smaller boat.

The VLX will have more interior space over the X2 and SAN. I'm not sure when the 205V Mastercraft hulled boats ('98-'02 X-star/'03-'05 X-2) got an improvement on their seat materials, but I know when I was shopping all the early 2000's boats had garbage interiors that I looked at - they just fell apart. Mastercraft did fix that issue and now has one of (if not the) best seat materials in the tow boat industry.

If you can get an '05 VLX for anywhere near the price of the '04, do it. It will be a better boat, but is normally a much more expensive boat.

• 4 months later...