Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Snapped Bilge Plug

Recently, while trying to open the bilge plug on my Response LX, the top of the "T" snapped off. It appears the plug was cross-threaded. Now, just the "I" portion is stuck. I tried a vise-grip with no luck. Any ideas or tricks on how I can get it out?

Thanks.

My T-handle has a 9/16" nut at the base of the "I". I broke one off a couple of years ago and was able to use a deep socket on the 9/16 to remove the plug and replace with a new one.

Just thinking out loud here but you might be able to drill a hole up from the bottom and jam a lag-bolt or something similar in there with a hex head. Use a large wrench to screw the bolt in and that force should back the plug out. Could probably even tap a machine screw into the right size hole if you have the equipment. Seems like a large enough vise-grip attached to the "I" portion with quite a lot of force would do the trick though. Can try something like PB Blaster but I'm not sure if it would do much in this situation.

My T-handle has a 9/16" nut at the base of the "I". I broke one off a couple of years ago and was able to use a deep socket on the 9/16 to remove the plug and replace with a new one.

second this...same thing happened to me and I used a deep socket to get it off....Didn't remember the size though, hat tip to Ronnie!

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ronnie, I tried the long socket and couldn't get enough leverage on it. Maybe I'm just a whimp. I'll give it another shot.

JPeterman, Probably a good idea, but I can't fool myself into thinking that I'm handy enough to pull it off.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Breaking drain plugs....what kind a performance enhancement supplements are you guys using???

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If I only the PED's would give me the muscle to get it out...

I would recommend that you put some sort of PB Blaster or another similar product on it and let it soak. I would hate to see you twist the female part of the drain out of the fiberglass.

I would recommend that you put some sort of PB Blaster or another similar product on it and let it soak. I would hate to see you twist the female part of the drain out of the fiberglass.

Good idea. Don't want to have to start another thread for "how to fix pulling drain plug thread out of the fiberglass"...

Thanks guys. The Crew rocks!!!

I'd be concerned about getting something as powerful as PB blaster inside my fiberglas. Ie. all around the base of the female part is exposed (hole saw'd) fiberglas.

I'd be concerned about getting something as powerful as PB blaster inside my fiberglas. Ie. all around the base of the female part is exposed (hole saw'd) fiberglas.

Do you think something like WD 40 would do the trick without harming the fiberglass?

You might just order a new T plug and the receptacle and replace them both at the same time. 4 screws to remove and it's off. Since it's cross threaded it will be more trouble to keep it in the long run.