Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Manual wedge question.

92skier

As I understand it, a floating wedge is held down by the force of water. Has anyone ever tried not locking in a manual wedge? Would it stay down by itself? What effect would it have on the wake? Just doing some brainstorming.

I would imagine it would break pretty quickly. If you're trying to get the same effect as a "floating" wedge, this is not it. The floating wedge is still locked in if my memory serves me correctly.

The floating wedge has stronger arms (Stainless) and I think the wing and bracket may also be stainless. If it's not locked in the up position it just hangs down and eventually "floats" midway when under power. My locking wedge has softer bronze arms, an aluminum wing and bracket. I don't believe that it would hold up letting it float and not locking it in at the lower position.

martinarcher

There are big differences in design.

1. The floater is made of more durable stainless.

2. The floater does not lock down, but rests in the lowest position (both designs lock in the upper position).

3. The floater's foil is angled downward so the water passing over the foil causes it to dive ad pull the foil down.

4. The manual wedge foil is not angled near as much and I would guess if not locked in, might kick back up violently.

I can confirm the floating wedge stays all the way down when moving. I have climbed over the sunpad, opened the door in the platform and felt the arms are in contact with the stop bolts. Once down it never "floats".

Thanks for the replies. I was just wondering. I'm happy with my locking wedge. I was just wondering what would happen if you didn't lock it down. I'm bored at work. LOL

I can confirm the floating wedge stays all the way down when moving. I have climbed over the sunpad, opened the door in the platform and felt the arms are in contact with the stop bolts. Once down it never "floats".

:plus1: