Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stripping Pictures

jetskipro550

Okay now that I have everyones attention, here is what this thread is really about. Biggrin.gif My friend has an 03 VLX and over the last few years the tower has gotten scratched up and nicked pretty good. He was told that the towers don't usually hold up to well because the powder coating was applied to smooth metal and it wasn't "roughed up" before they applied it so it doesn't stick very well. Thats why our towers scratch up and chip fairly easily. My friend decided that he was going to strip his tower down, fill in the holes from his board racks, and then re-paint the tower gray to match the stripe in his boat. He is using a paint that is almost as durable as powder coating, but a fraction of the cost. Here are the pictures...

This picture is of the tower all stripped down and of the filler in the holes where the board racks used to be. He is buying the new shocks for his board racks. These shocks swivel the boards into the boat and they clamp onto the tower, not bolt through.

And the actual process of stripping the tower. He applied aircraft stripper to the tower and the paint just bubbled up and pealed off...okay it didn't go that nicely but it scrapped off pretty easily!

To finish it off, he used a pressure washer that heated up to 190* to take off any of the stripping chemical and any remaining material. This was the coolest pressure washer I have ever seen, diesel and electric!

Um, JSP, let me be the first to say: You need a hobby.

Biggrin.gif

He has one, I think he's chasing Stewart...only around 900 till he's caught up. :lol:

BTW JSP, did he weld up the holes or just bondo them up?

Um, JSP, let me be the first to say: You need a hobby.

Biggrin.gif

He has one, I think he's chasing Stewart...only around 900 till he's caught up. :lol:

BTW JSP, did he weld up the holes or just bondo them up?

:)

And yes, I too am disappointed about the title of this thread.

Stewart can have the top spot, I don't want it. No offense :)

No he had someone weld up the holes. He didn't do it himself because he doesn't know how to weld aluminum (I think thats what it was?)

Edited by jetskipro550

They wiped the tower off before power-washing it, so I dont think very much of the chemical was left on the metal. But a small amount could have splashed up, but considering I know both of them I'm sure they sprayed off the shop door when done. So it should be alright

• 4 months later...

Here is the finished product (its been finished for a long time now) and I think it turned out really good. He painted the tower gray, added new tower speakers, and board racks...

That tower looks frigin awsome, im sher your buddy is quite happy with it! Biggrin.gif

But back to the first pictures, does your buddy just happen to have a awsome body shop in his back yard, or does he work there?

That tower looks frigin awsome, im sher your buddy is quite happy with it! Biggrin.gif

But back to the first pictures, does your buddy just happen to have a awsome body shop in his back yard, or does he work there?

Actually he likes it better black so he might re-paint it next summer...I bet it will grow on him though. Thats actually his dads shop. Its a 3 bay shop with a covered pad on the far side (for his boat) and tool area with a spare room above it . Its got a painting both with a lift in one bay, another lift in another bay, and tons of cool stuff!!! Its pretty cool cause when ever he needs to work on something we just head over to his parents house. I would kill for a cool shop like that some day!!!

Actually he likes it better black so he might re-paint it next summer...I bet it will grow on him though. Thats actually his dads shop. Its a 3 bay shop with a covered pad on the far side (for his boat) and tool area with a spare room above it . Its got a painting both with a lift in one bay, another lift in another bay, and tons of cool stuff!!! Its pretty cool cause when ever he needs to work on something we just head over to his parents house. I would kill for a cool shop like that some day!!!

Man thats a dream shop for me Drool.gif you have any idea how much a shop like that costed?