Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2 pairs of pro80s vs 1 pair of rev 10s

Jade1989

Im after quality of sound at wakeboarding length should I go with 2 pairs of pro80s or 1 pair of rev 10s. If I go with the rev 10s what amp do I need to run and would I be able to power my sub on the same amp?

On my previous boat I ran 4 Pro 80's with a Syn2, on my current boat I run 1 pair of Rev 10's with a Syn4.

The 4 pro 80's were loud and I had about 200 watts per speaker with one amp. After hearing the Rev 10's, I would not go back to the Pro 80's. I have a Syn 4 bridged to the Rev 10's.

You will definitely be able to hear either combo and the rope's end. IMO the Rev's sound better than the Pro's. If you are going to do one set get the 10's. Power one set of 10's with a Syn 4.

I just heard a set or pro80s against a set of rev 10's, and the Rev10's get my vote. the rev10's provide a better range, rich full sound high/mid/bass. i have a set of pro80s and a set of bullet hollowpoints, i am only running the bullets right now because i like the clean high & mid range i get out of them. i like the pro80s for the high & low range but the lack the middle. I was talking to a guy @ Earmark about running the bullets & pro80's to get full range and he suggested i listen to the rev10's. the rev10's hit the full range. if you want to shell out the money go Rev10's!

get the set of Rev10s on 400w each and call it a day. FWIW I've owned both as well. the 2 pair of pro80s will certainly make your ears bleed and perhaps be a bit louder than a single set of 10s, but the 10s have much better sound quality and are better balanced.

Also you'll have a cleaner looking tower, bang less heads, draw less power for better sound, and have a much simpler setup.

There is no such thing as sound quality at wake range in the face of noise, wind and engine exhaust. The quest is being able to recognize the music content without driving the speakers and amplification into hard distortion. The finer SQ differences from speaker to speaker won't survive wake range.

Once you identify the sound you like best, understand that a higher quantity of smaller or lessor speakers are never going to be a substitute for the deeper bass extension or warmer tonal balance of the larger or better speaker. More quantity just means more output of the same qualities.

David

• Like 2