Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hull Decal Installation

I just picked up my 2005 style decals for the sides & transom of my LSV. These decals are pretty big, I obviously don't want air pockets, etc. under them. What is the best procedure to use to "make it all good".

Try mixing a 100 : 1 water to soap mixture in a spray bottle. Use a crayon to mark top bottom and sides of desired location of boat. Lightly spray area with soap water, have 2 helpers hold the decal by each end close to but not touching the gel. Align the decal. Tack the center. Verify alignment. work your way from the center out removing all the air bubbles as you go. Oh, and be very, very, very carefull. Crazy.gif

Joe

I just recieved mine today also!!!

I have a question though, I was told that the 05 Stickers have the middle section around the "W" cut out so you can see the boat behind the sticker and the ones I recieved are not that way? I believe I recieved the 04 set, can you see if your are this way?

Thanks

I'm assuming you have the waksetter stickers?? maybe not?

I have a question though, I was told that the 05 Stickers have the middle section around the "W" cut out so you can see the boat behind the sticker and the ones I recieved are not that way? I believe I recieved the 04 set, can you see if your are this way?

Mine look shaded around the "W" also. When I ordered mine, the dealer gave the factory the VIN of my boat so the factory could tell what the colors were on the boat. My side decals are going over white, as I assume yours are, so maybe they feel the shaded look better over white? Either that or they just sold us '04 style decals. I looked through my '05 & '04 brochures & the '05 are open around the "w" like stated, but my '04 brochure is a small foldout & the pictures there are pretty hard to tell what was available on different colored hulls. Did your decals come with the "domed" Malibu letters also? Mine did.

Mine look shaded around the "W" also. When I ordered mine, the dealer gave the factory the VIN of my boat so the factory could tell what the colors were on the boat. My side decals are going over white, as I assume yours are, so maybe they feel the shaded look better over white? Either that or they just sold us '04 style decals. I looked through my '05 & '04 brochures & the '05 are open around the "w" like stated, but my '04 brochure is a small foldout & the pictures there are pretty hard to tell what was available on different colored hulls. Did your decals come with the "domed" Malibu letters also? Mine did.

Yes it seems that we have the same set, the MALIBU ones are domed. I was under the same impression as you around the "w", maybe they have a bunch of 04's they needed to get rid of??

[ Yes it seems that we have the same set, the MALIBU ones are domed. I was under the same impression as you around the "w", maybe they have a bunch of 04's they needed to get rid of??

Could be. I think over the white hulls the shaded will look good.

If the hullsides were colored a lighter bright color the "see through"

version would be neat, but hey, for $350.00 whadayaspect? Dontknow.gif

I did 04 graphics on my 2000 lsv.

I used the approach that Joe recommended.

The 1st step is removing the old and cleaning the gel all the way down to gel. I used rubbing alcohol, and then sprayed it with compressed air to make sure I had no lint or hair from the rags.

I had a spray bottle that I put a very small amount of soap in.

I had my son help me. I sprayed the hull generously. Then I stood on a chair and he pulled the backing off. He sprayed the adhesive part of the sticker generously.

With him holding the bottom of the graphics I stepped of the chair and we moved them on the hull. At this point we could slide the whole thing around. I did not pre-mark. I had a center point relative to the end of the windshield, and a desire to have it symetrical.

Once in position I used a squeege to work all the water out.

At this point I was nervous so I let it set up over night before I pulled the front covering off.

I had 2 tiny airbubbles on the starboard side. I poked them with a pin to release the air and pushed it down.

Good Luck!!

I did 04 graphics on my 2000 lsv.

I used the approach that Joe recommended.

The 1st step is removing the old and cleaning the gel all the way down to gel.  I used rubbing alcohol, and then sprayed it with compressed air to make sure I had no lint or hair from the rags.

I had a spray bottle that I put a very small amount of soap in.

I had my son help me.  I sprayed the hull generously.  Then I stood on a chair and he pulled the backing off.  He sprayed the adhesive part of the sticker generously.

With him holding the bottom of the graphics I stepped of the chair and we moved them on the hull.  At this point we could slide the whole thing around.  I did not pre-mark.  I had a center point relative to the end of the windshield, and a desire to have it symetrical.

Once in position I used a squeege to work all the water out.

At this point I was nervous so I let it set up over night before I pulled the front covering off.

I had 2 tiny airbubbles on the starboard side.  I poked them with a pin to release the air and pushed it down.

Good Luck!!

Thanks fo the tips, that is what I had planned on doing - glad to know it works well. I'll post up some pics when I'm done with it.

Ok, I got mine done today. I installed all the stickers, two racks, and the wedge plate.... It has been a great day and the Bu is taking shape for the new year!

Here it is naked

13005%20014%20(Small).jpg

Here it is with the new graphics Yahoo.gif

BOAT%2042405%20012%20(Small).jpg

The back

BOAT%2042405%20013%20(Small).jpg

Other Side

BOAT%2042405%20017%20Side%20small.jpg

One of the Wakesetter drip mold. Yahoo.gif

BOAT%2042405%20011%20(Small).jpg

Nice!!!

Now you need the domed numbers..... :)

Funny, as soon as I got done - I told my wife I need to spend more money on the domed numbers so they will match.. :lol:

Thanks for the compliments guy's

I call it my $25k wannbe $50k boat....... Biggrin.gif

That looks great.  Did you have problems at all?

Actually the only issue I had was removing the gas tank for the wedge plate installation. The filler hose is very stiff and slips over the tank almost 4-5 inches which made it hard to get the tank out.

The stickers went fine, just as above lost of soapy water on both the boat and the stickers. It was pretty easy and pretty much like installing window tint(which I have done a few times in my younger years) The key is to wait for them to dry before you start pulling off the tape. I always rush things and started a little early but it went pretty well.

Actually the only issue I had was removing the gas tank for the wedge plate installation.

R1,

Where'd you get the wedge plate? I was under the impression that Malibu dealers wouldn't sell them (liability issues) and would only install them. What did the thing cost? If you don't mind me asking. Biggrin.gif Thanks.

Actually the only issue I had was removing the gas tank for the wedge plate installation.

R1,

Where'd you get the wedge plate? I was under the impression that Malibu dealers wouldn't sell them (liability issues) and would only install them. What did the thing cost? If you don't mind me asking. Biggrin.gif Thanks.

hmmmmm...Well that may be the case so I guess I better not tell? I wouldn't want to get the dealer in trouble.... I believe it was about 600 for both the wedge plate and the Pro wedge. I bought a bunch of other items also. I'll send you a pm on the dealer.

You may have mentioned it before, but how much did the Graphics end up costing?

Nice job BTW

Thank you!

Give Brian at Idaho Water Sports A call, He has been great to deal with and has been very fair on the prices. I don't really want to start a war by posting up the price. His number is 208-467-7477 - again ask for Brian - he'll hook you up!

Edited by R1LOVER