Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1994 Echelon

tomekrys

Looking at a 1994 Malibu Echelon. Very clean and well maintained. 490 hours on 350 with weber carb. Price is 11k. It has that computron that a lot of people complain about but this one seems to be working fine. What do you think of this boat for the money? Comes with extended pylon and bimini top with slot for pylon. Hows the wake? I know this is the second year of all fiberglass construction I think and it may be the same hull as the Wakesetters? Is that right? Any other Malibu's in about the same price range that would be better wake boats?

• Like 1

great boat, I bought a '93 Echelon LX 2 years ago and really like it. I mostly ski but wake board some and am considerind a pylon or a tower for this year. The ski wake is great and if you slow the boat down to 15 to 18 the boarding wake is not bad, but probably could use some extra weight in the boat.

If it has been well maintained $11K is a great price.

The ski wake is great, I don't think you can get any better.

We put on the "Wedge", with a 600lb fat sack in the bow and the wake is good size and has a nice shape.

Nothing like a fully loaded Wakesetter, but decent.

Mike

Looking at a 1994 Malibu Echelon. Very clean and well maintained. 490 hours on 350 with weber carb. Price is 11k. It has that computron that a lot of people complain about but this one seems to be working fine. What do you think of this boat for the money? Comes with extended pylon and bimini top with slot for pylon. Hows the wake? I know this is the second year of all fiberglass construction I think and it may be the same hull as the Wakesetters? Is that right? Any other Malibu's in about the same price range that would be better wake boats?

Hopefully it doesn't have a weber- that's a european carb. Probably has a Holley.

Sounds like great value for the money. Also, you'll never have a problem reselling. (Turned into the Response in later years.)

I'd get this one over any year of Tantrum. Although the Tantrum shared the same hull and running gear with other Malibu's..... pretty stripped down version. Model didn't last for long.

Reality is that one of us keep our boats forever.... eventually we give in to the urge to move "up". I believe the Echelon will always be able to find more interested buyers than Tantrum's.

If the Echelon's in good shape.... I'd move on it.... before somebody else does.

Edited by doughickey

I have a 93 Echelon that I have had for 3 summer now and I absolutely love it. I have an extended pylon as well and wakeboard behind it. It is a perfect entry level boat. $11K sounds like a great deal as long as the motor is in good shape and the trailer is sound. I would definately give you two thumbs up.

Welcome to the site. Is this an LX or a closed bow? It all depends on the overall condition of the boat, but If iit's an LX then it's a good deal, if it's a closed bow then it's probably fair (the bottom has fallen out of the closed bow market). For the record, this boat was the boat that really put Malibu on the map. It had the SV23 hull which has been used on a lot of different models over the years & is currently the hull of the Ride series. (Yes it's the same hull as the pre '05 VLX boats, ableit stretched. In '05 the VLX went to the V25 hull.) For a direct drive & at that price point, it would make a good wake boat. I can't think of another model that would work better for you in that price range, unless you could up your budget to the mid-teens. In that case I'd recommend a '95 or newer Sunsetter LX - same hull, just a bit bigger with better storage, as well as a bit better wake capability.

The Echelon is a great boat. It's certainly better suited for slalom but as Mike pointed out it'll through a decent wakeboard wake. This boat put Malibu on the map. If you wanted to add the wedge and wedge plate it'll run about 1k +/- but 11k for a LX in pristine conditon is a good deal.

So whats the difference between the SV23 Wake and SV23 Diamond that Malibu uses now? And which one of these hulls would the Echelon have?

So not a fan of closed bow? I figure you can store stuff in the bow cause its a pretty good size locker. Still fit 6-7 people in the boat for a lake trip.

It's not that I'm not a closed bow fan, I think that there is no sexier look to a boat than a CB ski boat. But the market on those is flat & getting flatter with every vdrive that gets pumped out of the factories. So the price may be fair, but it may also be negotiable, I don't know.

The Diamond hull, which came out in 1998, is called a "lifting hull". It was designed for skiers to make a better ski wake & it does the job well. The Echelons were never built with the Diamond hull, so all of them would have the SV23 (same thing as the SV23 Wake hull, they called it that later on). For boarding, you want the Echelon's hull, not the Diamond hull. Although truth be told, the Echelon will do everything well - it's a good crossover boat.

Hope that helps.