Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

CIPA extreme adapter

skistud1

I while back a bunch of us were looking for a way to attach a CIPA extreme mirror using the stock CIPA comp windshield mount. I was looking at this site http://www.monstertower.com/accessory6.html

and I noticed on the bottom an adapter for $35 that should allow you to connect an extreme using a stock setup. The pick above shows my sock mirror (comp) connected to their fabricated mirror arm. A pic on the bottom of the page shows the same arm with an Extreme attached using the adapter.

Am I correct? Would this work? I would like to put in the larger mirror, but not how it is shown on Overton's web site.

That adapter is THE BOMB! I worked with Monster to get it developed. Jump all over it. I can't remember if I have pics of it in my gallery or not. Check it out. I also put a post on here about it a while back. If you can't find any of those pics, let me know and I'll post 'em again. I'm in a hurry right now, or I would post them now.

I am really intrigued by that. I've got the Extreme sitting on a shelf in my garage because I haven't been able to figure out a good way to attach it to the stock mount. It looks like that adapter is exactly what I've been looking for! Can anyone confirm the clamp will fit the stock mount (billb)?

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

Yes. The top photo on Monster's accessory page shows a CIPA comp (RLXI stock mirror) attached to their mirror arm. The bottom of the page shows the same arm only with an extreme mirror using Monster's adapter. Using fuzzy logic that if the diameter of the arm attachment fits the comp mirror, if I buy the adapter it should have the same inner diameter as the outside diameter stock "U" shaped thing-a-mabob that gets attached to the top of the center windshield.

Basically the Mirror arm at the attachment section is the same as the stock "U" ........... I think.

Which of the mounts do you guys have for the windshield? There are a couple of different kinds.

Long story....

When we took delivery of the '06, we thought that we'd be out of luck on the mirror arm so we started looking for a way to use the Extreme with the stock mount. For those that don't know, the current Malibu windshields are too thick to use the mount that comes with the Extreme, so you need to find a different way & because of the mounting system that the Extreme uses it makes it difficult. The mirror mount that came on our '06 is symmetrical - both arms coming from the windshield are the same length & therin lies the problem. I actually have an adapter from Rod R that's very, very similar to that Monster adapter, so I thought that I could use it with that stock mirror mount & have my nice big mirror. So I cut the mirror mount in half at the center & mounted up the adapter/mirror combination thinking that it was going to be the cat's meow (putting the adapter over the cut holds it in place & it's surprisingly strong like that). But the problem is that because those arms are the same length, it doesn't get the correct angle to the driver (even with the adjustment on the mirror all the way over). You get a lot of view of the left, but not nearly enough of the right. So I cut my mount for nothing. Please learn from my mistake. Dontknow.gif:Doh:

If you have the mount that is staggered (left arm longer than the right), then it should work just great. Unfortunately that's not what I have. Fortunately, I have this awesome group buy on the first ever Illusion arm going....:)

Yeah Tracie, after looking more close at billb's close up pics and reading your last post all I'll get is a nice view of the left side. Unfortunately my better half would not be pleased.

The only true remedy that would work is for me to buy a tower, buy the arm, and take up wakeboarding. Oh well. I'll save the money and get the new PP 6.5NG display, an Optima blue top, a new ski, rope, carpet saver, dry suit, a new.............

I think that the adapter works great for what it was intended, & I also think that if your mirror mount is one that is staggered it would work well too. But for those of us that have the symmetrical type, it's not worth the hassle. One thought would be to contact Cipa & find out if you can get a staggered mount that will fit our windshields. You'd still have to cut it, but I think that would get you what you want.

Ah yes, it's all coming back to me now - the mirror's been sitting on my shelf for probably close to 2 years now, and Tracie nailed it on the head. There was also another issue - when mounted to the walk-thru glass panel, it made for a very intrusive mirror when the walk-thru was open. You couldn't sit in the observer seat without hitting your head on it.

Now I'm trying to sketch a different type of mount alltogether - one that clamps on the frame, and holds a single ~5/8" dia rod bent into a right angle. The way I'm imagining it, you wouldn't be restricted side-to-side or vertically when positioning the mirror, and it could be easily removed when not in use. I'll have to play around with the idea a little, then post a follow-up.

You may want to call Cipa & find out if they've come up with a solution to this. If they have, you may be able to clamp it to the windshield right in front of the driver & be done with it. I can't imagine that they aren't at least working on something (if they haven't come up with a solution yet). I mean really, how long has Malibu had the thicker windshield out now? They need to get with the program.

I am very happy with the adapter and the field of vision that the mirror yields. I don't think it's a fair characterization to say that you can only see off to one side. I have one very small blind spot as the skier moves from the center mirror to one of the outside mirrors. My head does get in the way when the skier pulls out to the far right, so I have to duck if I want to follow the skier in the mirror. I'm 6'5, so my lines of sight are usually different from most. I've gotten a good laugh over all of the uproar over the RLXi windshield height. I've never been in a boat that had a windshield that blocked the wind from my eyes!

Skistud, I agree with the problems in the bow when the mirror is mounted to the windshield, but I'm very happy with the mounting from the tower. Other people in my ski club have driven my boat and have made positive comments about the mirror.

I am very happy with the adapter and the field of vision that the mirror yields. I don't think it's a fair characterization to say that you can only see off to one side. I have one very small blind spot as the skier moves from the center mirror to one of the outside mirrors. My head does get in the way when the skier pulls out to the far right, so I have to duck if I want to follow the skier in the mirror. I'm 6'5, so my lines of sight are usually different from most. I've gotten a good laugh over all of the uproar over the RLXi windshield height. I've never been in a boat that had a windshield that blocked the wind from my eyes!

Skistud, I agree with the problems in the bow when the mirror is mounted to the windshield, but I'm very happy with the mounting from the tower. Other people in my ski club have driven my boat and have made positive comments about the mirror.

Sorry to hijack a bit here. BillbDo you have the monster tower mirror mount, I'm thinking of getting the monster tower mirror mount for my titan tower and maybe the extreme mirror too. How is it for quality and finish? Does it rattle at all? Would I be better off getting it with the cipa extreme mirror? I've been looking at a few tower mirrors and I can't decide on which one to get.

I was just talking to one of the guys in my ski club about this on Saturday night. If I had it to do all over again, I'd go with either the Monster arm and adapter or the Samson arm. The advantage of the Samson arm is that it is longer, so it could push the mirror further away from the driver's face. This is an issue for me because the front legs of my tower are so far back on the boat (close to the driver's seat). The advantage of the Monster setup is that it is all quick disconnect. Every night, I pop the the racks and mirror arm off of my tower and put them down in the boat when I cover it. It takes ten seconds to put that stuff back on in the morning. That's a really nice, convenient security feature in my opinion. The quality of the Monster stuff is top notch. My tower is polished and I did get a leg with scratches, but Monster's Customer Service is awesome and they replaced the leg ASAP, no hassles whatsoever. I'd buy products from them again in a minute. Fortunately for my wallet, I think I've already bought everything they sell that I'd be interested in.