Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No gauges, Accessories, or Stereo... HELP!

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting as I just purchased a 2003 Wakesetter VLX with 335 Monsoon a few weeks ago. The first two days I had it out everything worked great....Then the problems started...

I got my friend to take me for a tube ride with a few buddies. Once I returned to the boat to tow a different friend I noticed something was wrong:

Current Issues:

-stereo working only when key in ACC position. When boat running stereo cuts out

-guages working when key in ON position. Guages freeze when boat is running

-All Accessory switches do not work in any key position.

-When boat is running there is a consistent warning beep (beep, pause, beep, pause...). If I turn on any accessory switch while the beep is sounding it shorts out the warning beep.

-I get the following error messages on the display: "BAD" and "BATT"

-I checked the AC Outlet and it had very low voltage (barely enough to power a portable inflator)

-When engine is running, turning the key switch to the OFF position doesnt kill the motor... I have to use the kill switch.

Problem got worse the next day....

-Now stereo does not come on at all

-none of the guages move/no message display/no power at AC outlet.

-A new warning beep pattern: Beep, Beep, Beep,..Pause, Beep, Beep, Beep...Pause...

-At higher RPM additional warning beep comes back (beep,pause, beep, pause...)

At first I thought it was a bad ground or possibly a bad battery (given the obvious message).

I tried the following:

-disconnected all batteries and performed 10 second load tests (3 batteries in total due to upgraded stereo: 2 for accessories and 1 for cranking). All batteries demonstrated a consistent load above 12 volts.

-cleaned all ground connections at the battery terminals (already very clean)-no change

-Tested the voltage from battery to breaker = good. Tested voltage leaving the breaker = good.

-examined all the ground wires connected to the below dash ground bar = good.

-removed stereo deck and inspected ground wire = good.

-pulled my hair out in utter frustration after spending weekend failing to fix the new boat.

I realize there is quite a few symptoms that might be unrelated, but it seems too coincedental that this would all happen halfway through a day on the water.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! :help:

Thanks

Run another earth wire from under dash negitive bar to battery negitive ( for test purposes ).

Get in under the dash and look for wires that may have broken or come loose. This is the time to test to see if you have 12V at the + terminal or at the devices/switches. You may have a loose/disconnected wire on the start switch or it may be faulty if ther is no power to accessories when in the on position.

Disconnect battery & then disconnect and reconnect any multi-plug type connectors.

Thanks for the advice/suggestions Ozfabs. I didnt think to run a temporary ground from the negative bar. Regarding the loose/broken wires... I am quite certain all the wires under the dash are in good condition as I spent a ton of time under there last weekend checking wires out. I tested the terminals on the key switch and found 2 terminals have 12V in the OFF position. Once I turn the key to the ACC or ON positions, the voltage returns to 0. Is this normal? All the wires on the key switch are in good condition as well.

I will try running the temp ground this coming weekend.

This ignition switch (08) has the same function as yours. Numbering is per photo. No number on my switch that can be seen.

Terminal 1 - There should be 12v to this terminal all the time.

Terminal 2 - 12v when ignition turned on and also when turned to accessory.

Terminal 3 - 12v when ignition turned on.

Terminal 4 - When key is turned to crank engine this terminal gets 12v ( starter motor relay )

post-11172-0-66156800-1344494081_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Disconnected ground wire on the bar below the dash! All electrical functions are working once again! Although I still have warning beeps.

I got back under the dash this morning and tested the ignition switch. I also took a closer look at the ground bar.... Ground wire from battery had disconnected!! I have no idea how i missed it last time! All terminals were exactly as you described with the exception of T2. This terminal has power at all key positions for some reason.

Beeps are as follows (engine running):

1) constant beep..pause...beep...pause

2)intermittent: beep...beep... Long pause....

All gauges look good and fluids topped up.

Thanks again for all the help!