Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

prop

koha_2000

i have a 91 eurowith a 3 bade should i go witha 4 blade or no if do what is the benfit or if no what is the downfall just want to know 3 blade is fine just see all new boats with 4 thought it would change something thanks for yalls help

Until recently 4 blade props had more blade surface, and therefore more bite for better holeshot and speed holding power, than 3 blade props. Recently though 3 blade CNC'd prop blades have gotten bigger to the point that an OJ XMP 3 blade has more prop surface than an equivalent 4 blade.

I recently switched from an OJ Legend 4 blade (13X14) to an OJ XMP 3 blade (13X12). I gave up a couple MPH's on top (but with the price of gas who wants to run wide open?) but gained significantly on the holeshot and the holding power (bite).

Acme has equivalent props. My experience has been with OJ. These props are (were) on my Sportster LX.

Until recently 4 blade props had more blade surface, and therefore more bite for better holeshot and speed holding power, than 3 blade props. Recently though 3 blade CNC'd prop blades have gotten bigger to the point that an OJ XMP 3 blade has more prop surface than an equivalent 4 blade.

I recently switched from an OJ Legend 4 blade (13X14) to an OJ XMP 3 blade (13X12). I gave up a couple MPH's on top (but with the price of gas who wants to run wide open?) but gained significantly on the holeshot and the holding power (bite).

Acme has equivalent props. My experience has been with OJ. These props are (were) on my Sportster LX.

I didn't realize this. Do you notice any difference in wake shape/hardness?

Do you notice any difference in wake shape/hardness?

I don't notice a big difference in either but there was a decent gap in time between the last time I skied the 4 blade and the first time that I skied the 3 blade XMP. It might be slightly smaller and slightly softer. I want to go out one day, ski with one and then switch them in the parking lot and ski with the other.

The wake "table" is less trubulent (according to a buddy of mine that barefoots). He likes the XMP 3 blade better. I like it for the holeshot and holding power. I don't have PP so throttle control is all driver. With the 4 blade, if the driver didn't "crab" the throttle on my turns, I could pull 2 - 2.5 mph off of the boat speed. With the XMP 3 blade I only drop the boat speed by 1 mph.

Edited by NorCaliBu

I went from a 3 blade SS to a 3 blade OJ XMP (CNC brass prop) last year and it did good things to the wake. With the SS the rooster tail was like hitting a brick wall. It went away with the XMP. I went from a 13X13 ss to a 13X11.5 OJ and kept top end and gained a lot in pulling performance. The cnc prop is the way to go. very smooth