Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake Conroe Texas questions.

Texas Aggie

Hi all! This is my first post (I'm sure the first of many) and as you might expect, I'm going to be the newst Malibu onwer on Saturday! Two of my college buddies and I have gone in together and bought a new 2005 Sunscape 21LSV. This will be the first boat for all of us. We take delivery of the boat this Saturday on Lake Conroe.

We want to store the boat in an enclosed marina that offers vallet launching on Lake Conroe but we know nothing about the lake or the marinas on the lake. Do you guys have any recomendations on which marina would be best to store the boat? We could just flip a coin or go with the cheapest rate we could find, but I don't want to be stuck with a one year lease and find out after a month of going out on the lake that the best spot to ski is all the way across the lake.

So, what part of the lake is generally good for skiing/wakeboarding? Is there a part of the lake that people tie up with other boats to socialize?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, we are looking for a 1-2 month enclosed storage facility in Houston. Anyone have a favorite inside the 610 loop, west, or on the north side of Houston?

We are very excited to be apart of the Malibu community and we look forward to meeting other crew members out of the lake! I can't wait to post some pics after I go for a ride Saturday.

Thanks for all your help!

My first thought would be to make sure you can get your boat (out of the marina) any time you want. The reason is, after your first trip across Lake Conroe on a busy day, you'll be looking for another lake to go to. I'm sure you've been there before, but I'm not sure if you've been there on a busy day, on a 21 footer. The only really good days for "our" kind of boats, are the days when the lake isn't busy, like now. Otherwise, it can be a bone jarring experience Vomit.gif unless your in a 35' Fountain or equivalent. That is my .02.

Later!

Hi all! This is my first post (I'm sure the first of many) and as you might expect, I'm going to be the newst Malibu onwer on Saturday! Two of my college buddies and I have gone in together and bought a new 2005 Sunscape 21LSV. This will be the first boat for all of us. We take delivery of the boat this Saturday on Lake Conroe.

Let me be the first to say Congratulations!!! on the new boat!!!

We want to store the boat in an enclosed marina that offers vallet launching on Lake Conroe but we know nothing about the lake or the marinas on the lake. Do you guys have any recomendations on which marina would be best to store the boat? We could just flip a coin or go with the cheapest rate we could find, but I don't want to be stuck with a one year lease and find out after a month of going out on the lake that the best spot to ski is all the way across the lake.

First the only time that we go to Lake Conroe is in the off season, any other time of year the lake is so busy that it makes Galveston bay look smooth. I used to spend a lot of time on Conroe years ago but, since the lake is close to 100% bulk headed there is no where for the wakes of all the boats to dissipate so it becomes very rough early in the day. There could be others but, we have been using the ramp at Inland Marine and I believe that they do have a valet service of some kind.

So, what part of the lake is generally good for skiing/wakeboarding? Is there a part of the lake that people tie up with other boats to socialize?

This time of year we usually ride near the dam with the water being cold there is usually not much traffic. I have been told that people wakeboard far northwest side of the lake under the ?? hwy. bridge, if you look at a map you will see where I am talking about. From the north side of the dam back to the west there is an island with a sand bar that people hang out at.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, we are looking for a 1-2 month enclosed storage facility in Houston. Anyone have a favorite inside the 610 loop, west, or on the north side of Houston?

We keep our boat in a storage unit that is 12ft. wide x 15ft. tall x 30ft. deep at a place near beltway-8 and I-10 west for $60 a month, do know of much more other than that.

We are very excited to be apart of the Malibu community and we look forward to meeting other crew members out of the lake! I can't wait to post some pics after I go for a ride Saturday.

The places we ride are Trinity River just east of Huntsville (has become one of our favorites), Lake Somerville near Brenham (2nd favorite), Lake Fayette County near Fayetteville (favorite during the winter, it is a heated lake), San Bernard River near Lake Jackson, hit the San Jacinto once in a while below Lake Houston and this year tried Lake Houston and like it plus it is the closest body of water to us. You are welcome to meet us sometime and we will show you around the lakes and rivers that we know. Be careful this weekend Lake Conroe is 3 or 4 feet low you are fine by the dam but, stay away form the shorelines until you know the lake better, if you are buying the boat for the dealer have them show you around the lake. Good luck and Congratulations again on the new boat. Here are a couple of links to upcoming Texas gatherings, 2006 Texas WOW and 2006 Texas Spring Fling WOW Feel free to ask any questions, see ya on the water, KenW.

Edit: Change that to the 3rd to say Congrats!

Edited by RiverRunner

Congratulations on your purchase, and good luck with the Daryl Moore Dealership (I assume you purchased it from them since they are the only game in town). It's a PITA to deal with them on service - slow, slow, and slower. I would agree on Conroe. Huge lake with a lot of traffic - and some huge boats. With the wind in the right direction, it builds some pretty good whitecaps on that lake. It can be very rough. Riverrunner's post has the area lakes roughed out very well. Don't forget about the Austin lakes. Only a 3+ hour haul but on a long weekend it can be worth it. Somerville (where we spend most of our time) is only a 1.5 hour drive from our house.

dont come to travis on a weekend... you need the titanic to plow thru that easily!

How is lake Fayette?? heated?? is it at an energy plant or somethin?

And congrats AG!

gig'em, we will have to start a football thread Cry.gif

Congratulations on your purchase, and good luck with the Daryl Moore Dealership (I assume you purchased it from them since they are the only game in town). It's a PITA to deal with them on service - slow, slow, and slower. I would agree on Conroe. Huge lake with a lot of traffic - and some huge boats. With the wind in the right direction, it builds some pretty good whitecaps on that lake. It can be very rough. Riverrunner's post has the area lakes roughed out very well. Don't forget about the Austin lakes. Only a 3+ hour haul but on a long weekend it can be worth it. Somerville (where we spend most of our time) is only a 1.5 hour drive from our house.

Hey gordo, i use that 'PITA' acrynm too!! how is Somerville on a summer weekend?? I havent been there since college.

Thank you all for your advice. It sounds like Lake Conroe is not the place for a leisurely cruise on a weekend. This just confirms to me that we don't need to rush into 1 year storage contract for a spot on Conroe. We'll just keep the boat near us in Houston until we find out the best lakes/rivers that we enjoy best.