Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No power to gauges and won't start.

Pulled the boat out of storage and was trying to make sure everything was working ok but fell at the first hurdle. Put the key in and nothing.

I have 2 batteries hooked up with a Perko switch.

Here's whats happening..

Battery #1 has power but none of the gauges at the dash would power up. The Perfect Pass would power up aswell as the depth gauge but none of the other instruments would wake up, usually they make a whirring noise. I can hear the starter click but nothing happens.

Battery #2 was dead so I thought this may be causing the problem. I installed a brand new battery expecting everything to come alive but still nothing. When I have the switch on #2 (new battery) there is absolutley no power at the dash. None of the gauges or even the horn work but if I switch to battery #1 (old battery) I get some life again.

I'm totally confused. The boat has always fired right up after storing. This is really stressing me out.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

UPDATE EDIT : Just checked again and with the lanyard the Voltage gauge did come alive but no other gauges. I could have sworn all the other gauges (fuel, oil, temp) woke up when the key was first turned.???

When the Perko was switched to #2 (new) battery there is a very tiny power flow. Just enough to make the Perfect Pass display glow but nothing works, not even the horn.

Edited by Arkid

Check Safety Lanyard! No gauges plus boat turning over and not firing is classic safety lanyard switch. Make sure it is attached correctly.

Edited by skurfer

Check Safety Lanyard!

I thought that only needed to be in when running it. I thought it would turn over and the guages would work without it. And how would that affect the problem of zero power from battery #2?

Check all the connections in the engine bay. My boat did that and the big main electrical harness was loose.

Where in the engine bay. It's a little difficult to follow the wires, whoever installed it did a great job of tucking everything away neatly. Also, would that account for there being no power from the #2 (new) battery whilst getting some power from the #1 (old) battery?

Edited by Arkid

replace with a new battery, just had the same thing happen on our lake, with a friends V-Ride, voltage tester showed 12.3 vdc, but nothing worked, put in a new battery and the boat fired right up, took the old battery to NAPA, they put it on their tester and if I remember correctly, the battery basicly had no cranking amps