Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Price?

kennyo

Ok, can't believe I'm considering this, but thinking of selling my 2003 Sunsetter LXI. Exterior is in great shape, looks like new. Interior was just replaced with CHEE's help so it's brand new. About 365 hours on the Monsoon 335. Has a stereo with 4 infinity speakers, and subwoofer with a transom remote. I also have perfect pass. Tandem trailer, trailer has normal wear and the left bumper has a dent from previous owner. Replaced swim platform pad with the seadeck pad. Also have custom made bimini from malibu dealer. I just put in stainless steel cup holders. Boat is clean.

What would be a good starting point on the price?

That is such a nice looking boat. Honestly, I'd buy that! It would look hawt with a Samson tower on it. Nice work on that new interior.

What is the difference between a Sunsetter LXI and a Response LXI...?

I really have no idea initially as an asking price. This would be probably be the type, or exact boat I'd be looking to upgrade to in the future.

I bought my boat with the intention of using it as a fair value trade-in on a used boat like your's, that upgraded also at a dealer.

So...I'll be very interested to hear fair market value on this series of 'bu.

Steve B.

I can't answer what price, but can offer advice on how to price it. First, you have to decide if getting a certain price is more important, or time (sell it right away). In any case, if you have a good value, but it seems more expensive than similar type/year boats it may take longer, since the buyer profile of someone willing to pay a bit more, but recognizes the value (new vinyl, bimini, well taken care of etc.) aren't your average buyer, but they come along after looking at a bunch of crap boats, or wayyy overpriced boats and are ready to buy. Patience is key for this buyer to show up. Plus throw in how many buyers actually have the funds.

Another approach is just to price it so that is clearly the best value at the bottom of the price range (for that type boat). That is how I sold my old Reinell I/O. in the Pacific Northwest, in September (think about that for a second). I made a quick spreadsheet analysis of about 12-15 similar age/type boats and clearly beat them all on price/value. I even put in my ad "first to see will buy", and they did. That boat had several repaired tears in the vinyl, but was mechanically sound, ran well and was clearly better than the crap a lot of people thought was worth 20-30% more.

Good luck, hope that helps. Remember, you can always order a new Malibu, so don't sell your current boat short is my .02. Cheers.

Edit-then in November I ordered a new Malibu :biggrin:

Edited by MalibuTime

I just checked OIB... you can buy a very clean 2003 VLX with < 300 hours for $32K. That's a v-drive with tower, both of which you don't have. http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=33045 So that tells me you are definitely less than $30K.

The 2003 direct drive Malibus are listed in the low's $20's. http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=32939. So I think that's where your reality is. I wouldn't list it for a penny over $24,995. Maybe even lower if you want a quick sale.

Here's an idea...

Take it to your dealer and have them give you a trade-in value. Who knows... they might surprise you. If you like the number, hand them the keys and promptly order your TXI.

If you don't like the trade in value, at least you figured out what number you need to beat. Go home and list it for more...

Just be careful, the name of the game in boat sales is getting the lead. If you are greedy, you simply won't get phone calls. Price it aggressively so you get the leads... maybe $1K-$2K above what your bottom line is. Then negotiate hard when you have somebody looking at it in your driveway. By then they are 90% sold... they just need to feel like they got a deal. So throw them $500 - $1000 and a full tank of gas to close it.

Also, do you have any gear you don't use much anymore? An old wakeboard, rope, or anchor? These can also serve as "throw-ins" to help the guy write a check.

I think that boat will sell fast...

So, maybe start at $24,900 and go from there? I don't want to get too greedy with it, just want a fair deal.

Edited by kennyo
Take anything at or over 22k.

That 03 VLX given as an example is on crack if they think they will get 32k for that boat, especially in California. Maybe 25k.

There were actually two of them in OIB and both were listed at $32k. Not saying they are worth it, but I figured it was a pattern.

I would price at $24,950 (keep under $25k), and only drop to $24,500 or possibly $24,200 if someone gets real serious with cash in hand. With new upholstry and being that clean, you should have no problems selling for that if a buyer knows what he is looking at. Only drawback is it doesn't have a tower and I have noticed around here people want one whether they need it or not. If you want to move it really fast $22,500 and it should be gone in a week or so.