Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

High Altitude boating preformance

Johnrolson

Just got back from a Lake Tahoe trip with our 2011 Malibu VLX. We have the Monsoon 350 power plant. We noticed a pretty big power drop while on the lake when all ballasts and the wedge were used... Is there something that needs to be done when using a boat at 6000ft. above sea level? Any input would be appreciated.. Thanks.

Our 23lsv with the same setup (and high altitude prop) will not get up to wakeboard speed (22mph) with more than 3-4 people in the boat at 5000 ft. Quite frustrating, to say the least. Now I must figure out how to get a LSA equipped Malibu into CA....

Our 23lsv with the same setup (and high altitude prop) will not get up to wakeboard speed (22mph) with more than 3-4 people in the boat at 5000 ft. Quite frustrating, to say the least. Now I must figure out how to get a LSA equipped Malibu into CA....

Whic high alltitude prop are you running. I use to have an 05 VLX with 2800lbs ballast and wedge down and it would get up and plain no problen in Tahoe. This is using an Acme 1235 prop.

Whic high alltitude prop are you running. I use to have an 05 VLX with 2800lbs ballast and wedge down and it would get up and plain no problen in Tahoe. This is using an Acme 1235 prop.

The 1235 would be considered a high altitude prop. So I think that is why you do not have the problem the OP does. If he plans on doing Tahoe much more, he should consider the 1235.

The acme 1235

You should know that you will lose some top end speed, but not much. Worth having the better "get up and go". Even at lower sea levels, you will notice a difference if you run your boat with a lot of ballast or passengers

From what I have read, it seems the Acme 1273 is a better high altitude prop to run than a 1235, but the 1235 is more popular for some reason.

1273 has more cup but is otherwise identical to the 1235. Why would more cup make the prop better at altitude? I think it'd actually be the other way around... that the 1273 would be better for low altitude applications because the cup would keep you off the rev limiter at sea level, but would give pretty comparable holeshot at altitude.

Edited by shawndoggy

I live at 5000', and have a '06 VLX. The original prop when I bought the boat, 537, was terrible and the boat did not perform well at all. Lots of rudder shudder, slow out of the hole. I switched it out for a 1235 and it was as if I bought a new boat. For anyone who hasn't witnessed it, you will be flat amazed how much different your boat operates with a different prop. I kept the 537, but there is absolutely no way I could use it up here. I would probably go boatless for a week waiting for a new prop rather than put the 537 back on.

Moral of the story, the prop makes way more difference than you can imagine.

For what it's worth, I run a 13x11.5 3 blade prop. My two lake are 6100' and 6800'. I don't have any problem pulling a rider up and getting on plane, regardless of how many people or how much ballast. The boat will top out around 42mph when cruising.