Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil leaking from my coil

Michigan boarder

The boat started mis-firing a bit on our last outing. I was surprised, since I changed the cap & rotor and wires last fall when winterizing. First thing I just looked at tonight was the coil wire, making sure that wire is connected tightly. When I took the wire off of the coil, the top of the coil is filled with some kind of oil. This is not normal, correct? I need a coil?

martinarcher

The coil being filled with oil is normal, but it leaking out certainly is not. Time to replace that baby. They're pretty cheap and you can snag one at the local parts store. I put a chrome Accel Hot Shot coil on mine.

The coil being filled with oil is normal, but it leaking out certainly is not. Time to replace that baby. They're pretty cheap and you can snag one at the local parts store. I put a chrome Accel Hot Shot coil on mine.

Thank you sir!!! This site rocks.

I just checked while sweeping the boat. It is actually an Accel Super Stock coil.

I just wrote it down. My first attempt will be to buy a Merc replacement, got 2 local marinas to check tomorrow. If that doesn't work, off to Napa. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

M.B.

You really don't need any sort of "marine" coil.

Just get a regular one and save some money.

M.A. is dead on that if any oil leaks out of the coil (and, they're filled with oil) that it's time for a new one.

Did you happen to leave the key on with a battery charger connected? That's usually the failure.

M.B.

You really don't need any sort of "marine" coil.

Just get a regular one and save some money.

M.A. is dead on that if any oil leaks out of the coil (and, they're filled with oil) that it's time for a new one.

Did you happen to leave the key on with a battery charger connected? That's usually the failure.

I know, but I still feel better with OEM stuff. Which is what I got...$47. I'm a novice mechanic so I brought the old one in, and they cross-referenced that one, had 2 on the shelf and sold me 1. I know enough about this stuff to start a fire, so I figured this was the safest bet. Hall's Marine in Muskegon, great first impression with them.

Nope, key has never been left on with the Echelon. If it gets left on that screaming buzzer goes off. Battery has been charged a few times, but again that ingnition loop was open, not closed.

Edit: time was also a factor. I wanted to make sure I got the right one so I could get back on the water...only to have the impeller fail. :Doh:

Edited by Michigan boarder