Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Ifinallygota21v

Vlx options

Ifinallygota21v

I am looking at a new vlx that's has a lot of options already. What are must have and nice to have options?

Jimmypooh

what year? where are you located? how many in your crew? salt or fresh? do you go out when it's cold? etc...

Off the top of my head the minimum would be bow ballast, wedge and maybe dripless shaft seal. After that heater, stereo, racks, plug and play ballast, all options are great but we need to know how you plan to use it.

Ifinallygota21v

2012 Midwest fresh water. Has now ballast, heater, tower speakers, wedge, dripless shaft, heater and racks. We wakeboard 90% and surf the other. Thoughts on plug and play? Is it easy to add after?

Jimmypooh

Where are you planning on buying in the midwest? I'm from the Chain-O-Lakes area. I would look into getting tower speakers aftermarket from Wetsounds or some other place that sells HLCD tower speakers. The ones that come stock are pretty useless from wakeboarding distance.

Make sure you get optional bow ballast not just stock.

If you surf, you're going to want extra ballast (or search surfgate, coming in 2013). You can install plug and play yourself if you don't mind messing around and drilling a hole or 2 in your boat. I would give it a 3-4 out of 10 on difficulty.

Maybe buy some sacs after market.

I would suggest swivel racks so you don't mess them up parking.

Also, ask the dealer to make sure they put in the heavier gas shocks for the tower. It sounds like you will have a lot of stuff up there. The heavier shocks will make it so the tower doesn't weigh anything to those putting it up or down.

Ifinallygota21v

Thanks for the info! I'm on a private lake in Indiana.

Nitrousbird

For 2012, no surfgate. That will hurt you on resale...in a couple years when someone is in the budget for a couple year old boat, you will see a difference in price almost similar to when a hull update is made between model years. But if you get a good enough deal on a 2012 in the end it won't hurt you.

Things I would consider must have options:

- Bow Ballast

- PNP

- Heater (since you live in the North)

- Power Wedge

- Snap out carpet

- GPS speed control

- L96/LS3/LSA motor options - whichever fits your budget best. NOT the antiquated 350 Monsoon (I will get the typical flack for this, from the same folks who then say to run an Acme 1235 so you can top out at 37MPH and drink fuel like it is going out of style).

Some of the above could be added aftermarket without too much hassle (PNP, Bow Ballast, Heater, GPS), so you need to weigh cost as an option vs. cost to retrofit. The others should just be optioned from the start.

srintx
For 2012, no surfgate. That will hurt you on resale...in a couple years when someone is in the budget for a couple year old boat, you will see a difference in price almost similar to when a hull update is made between model years. But if you get a good enough deal on a 2012 in the end it won't hurt you.

Things I would consider must have options:

- Bow Ballast

- PNP

- Heater (since you live in the North)

- Power Wedge

- Snap out carpet

- GPS speed control

- L96/LS3/LSA motor options - whichever fits your budget best. NOT the antiquated 350 Monsoon (I will get the typical flack for this, from the same folks who then say to run an Acme 1235 so you can top out at 37MPH and drink fuel like it is going out of style).

Some of the above could be added aftermarket without too much hassle (PNP, Bow Ballast, Heater, GPS), so you need to weigh cost as an option vs. cost to retrofit. The others should just be optioned from the start.

This is the flack for the antiquated monsoon...I'm curious as to why that would hurt resale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nitrousbird

This is the flack for the antiquated monsoon...I'm curious as to why that would hurt resale?

The Monsoon won't hurt resale, as the cost difference in buying new vs. buying used will likely be similar.

The lack of Surfgate will hurt. Even though 2012's aren't optioned with it, this looks like a very desireable option that most 2013's will have. People will be more inclined to buy a 2013+ in 2-5 years vs a 2012; so though the price difference between a 2011 and 2012 (and 2011 to a 2010) will all remain the same, the difference between a 2012 to a 2013 will be greater because the 2013 will be much more disireable. This = either 2013 holding its value better OR depreciating the 2012 more than it normally would have. I am guessing a mix of both.

Think of this, people will pay similar money for an 03 or 04 VLX, but will pay a lot more for an 05 VLX. It will be the same for the 2012 vs 2013 because of Surfgate (unless the Surfgate turns out to be something that can either be retrofitting easily OR ends up not being all that, which is unlikely on both accounts). Some folks may not be into surfing, but that doesn't mean they won't realize the cost value of the option when buying used.

saidainc

The Monsoon won't hurt resale, as the cost difference in buying new vs. buying used will likely be similar.

The lack of Surfgate will hurt. Even though 2012's aren't optioned with it, this looks like a very desireable option that most 2013's will have. People will be more inclined to buy a 2013+ in 2-5 years vs a 2012; so though the price difference between a 2011 and 2012 (and 2011 to a 2010) will all remain the same, the difference between a 2012 to a 2013 will be greater because the 2013 will be much more disireable. This = either 2013 holding its value better OR depreciating the 2012 more than it normally would have. I am guessing a mix of both.

Think of this, people will pay similar money for an 03 or 04 VLX, but will pay a lot more for an 05 VLX. It will be the same for the 2012 vs 2013 because of Surfgate (unless the Surfgate turns out to be something that can either be retrofitting easily OR ends up not being all that, which is unlikely on both accounts). Some folks may not be into surfing, but that doesn't mean they won't realize the cost value of the option when buying used.

I love when people bash on the 350. I have no problems exiting the hole at 3300 ft. elevation with 12 on board and 1500 lbs of extra ballast, I save a bunch on fuel and Ive heard 2 mechanics comment that they consider it the most straight forward engine to work on (thus saving on labor costs). So if I put the nose down with a 410 3 seconds earlier it justifies the exorbitant price increase? No one...and I repeat NO ONE is going to make up that difference a few years later when I resell the boat. A 350 and a 410 will probably sell for very close amounts to a private seller/

augie09

I'd say minimum options for primarily wakeboarding would be

- speed control

- ballast

- wakeboard racks

- wedge

- Bimini

Some luxury options that would not be deal breakers

- heater

- power wedge

- pnp

- stereo plus tower speakers (rather add aftermarket myself)

- shower

sp0tts

I'm on my 2nd VLX with a Monsoon and I normally run about 1500lbs above stock also, no problems here on either boat. I've been in an Xstar with a Monsoon and 4000 lbs of ballast plus people and it got on plane, albeit not quickly. Truth is, for most people the engine upgrade is a waste, especially in the VLX. In some of the bigger boats that run more weight, I'll agree it's necessary.

As for options:

-bow ballast is definitely the most important

-I've had the sunpad walkover on my last two boats and really like it

-power wedge (resale)

srintx

Spot on...I agree!

saidainc

Spot on...I agree!

In 2 to 5 years Im sure there will be surfgate changes, upgrades, modifications and new dialed in variations from the console. Not to mention competitors coming out with their own versions, a new and/or better version on different boats, and maybe even a retrofit for all boats for a surfgate (type) mod from some engineer with time on his hands. I agree that its an option to be valued and will certainly make a sale more attractive but I doubt that it will be the same as a hull change.

srintx

In 2 to 5 years Im sure there will be surfgate changes, upgrades, modifications and new dialed in variations from the console. Not to mention competitors coming out with their own versions, a new and/or better version on different boats, and maybe even a retrofit for all boats for a surfgate (type) mod from some engineer with time on his hands. I agree that its an option to be valued and will certainly make a sale more attractive but I doubt that it will be the same as a hull change.

Not to jack this the OP thread, but I'm already looking at keeping my 2011 VLX for another year and pulling the trigger on a 2014 with the Surfgate option.

saidainc

Not to jack this the OP thread, but I'm already looking at keeping my 2011 VLX for another year and pulling the trigger on a 2014 with the Surfgate option.

I like that idea. I think that by 2014 my jackass dealership wont scratch their heads when I ask them if any of their shop guys have been certified as surfgate technicians.

pennery

I dont' think Surfgate will affect Resale on 2012 models very much at all. The price of the 2013's with Surfgate will be higher and and that alone will keep the resale of 2012's in line with normal depreciation.. They may sit longer on the market due to Surfgate Boats selling quicker. Also I have run the monsoon in my last 4 boats and have been very pleased with the reliability and the power it has. plus it will keep my deprecation in line for resale as I really don't think you get your money back out of Engine Upgrades. It's one of those things that help it sell quicker however typically not for more money...

I think the stainless tip exhaust is a great option as I have had both and the engine noise is considerably less with it... Also the shower is largely used item on our boats as we do alot of camping.

Ifinallygota21v

How much does the plug and play cost? Is more weight needed for WAKEBOARDING or just surfing?

85 Barefoot

Simple answer is no you don't NEED any extra weight at all. An unweighted VLX produces a wake that is bigger than many years of wakes when wakeboarding was in its infancy and you could learn plenty of moves with those. However, the boat is made for an capable uf putting to use more weight which will help it but its not a necessity until you're doing 7s and about 15 inverts, all of which is possible off an unweighted boat.

sp0tts

How much does the plug and play cost? Is more weight needed for WAKEBOARDING or just surfing?

We don't surf very often, but from personal experience both of my VLX's have needed a little extra weight for surfing, although I've never been in any boat that didn't need a little extra weight IMO. I've also had more success getting a quality wave with extra weight and no wedge. My buddy had a VLX last year though, surfed a lot and had his wave dialed with the wedge (now has an MXZ).

As for wakeboarding, really depends on what you're looking to do. Stock ballast by itself is plenty for people learning w2w, grabs, ect. I run my beginners at 70' with stock ballast. I've got some extra weight in the boat for the more advanced riders that ride a 78' line...

Is it needed? If you've got a few consistent inverts, I'd say you'll probably want some extra weight. Otherwise, not needed IMO.

Edited by sp0tts

Ifinallygota21v

Thanks for the info. I am trading in my 09 supra 21v and I love the wake. I just want to make sure it is similar. When I test drove the vlx the lake had 3 ft rollers, so no riding. I'm no pro at wakeboarding but don't want to have to work a lot at getting enough air

85 Barefoot

Youll be fine...keep in mind that wedge does a LOT more for the wake than the supra wakeplate does as well. You will not be hurting for air. From air maybe, but not for it.

Fman

Second the stock vlx mls ballast and wedge...plenty for even advanced riders. The wake on the vlx will be better than your current 21v...nothing against Supra, but the vlx is just a more superior boat when it comes to wake comparison, and lounge space. The 21v is more comparable to the VTX in passenger space.

Edited by Fman