Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1st oil change. Any tips?

bjgreenbucknell

Going to attempt my first oil change on a '10 wakesetter vtx with the monsoon 350. Any tips or advice? Any tools I should buy to make life easier?

only tools you'll need are a wrench set and an oil filter wrench. As for tips, depending on how much space you have under filter, use either the bottom half of a 2 liter bottle or a zip lock bag to put under the filter when unscrewing it to catch the leak. May even want to line the bilge with some rags to soak up anything that spills. Fill new filter with fresh oil when ready to go back on and thats it. its simple.

Just to make sure you know. There is an oil drain hose you can run through the center drain hole in the boat. So you catch most of the oil underneath the boat. Not in the bilge.

Its not cold now but it helps to let the engine warm up first. Not too much though.

I put a pet "pee pad" underneath the filter to catch any drips. And when you fill the new filter halfway with oil, rub some oil on the filter gasket. Remember that since the oil filter is installed underneath, turn it the opposite way to loosen it. I learned that the hard way.

• Like 1

Beer, you need beer for this job. And time.

Put oil drain hose thru bilge, open drain hose. Drink beers unitl the next day. Then, maybe the oil will all be drained out. Close drain hose, replace. Ski.

Ha, thats basically it. All malilbu's drain slooooowwwly.

Steve B.

• Like 2

If you bring the boat up to temp before draining and make sure the oil drain hose is not kinked it should drain in an hour or so. You WILL need a filtre wrench (at least I do, and I only hand tighten the filters), make sure to lube the o-ring. Plastic baggie around the filter once it's loose, if your filter is like mine it's easy to get to.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Good thread but I'm looking for any advice or knowledge on what oil everyone is using.

I'm about to do my first oil change on a '12 MXZ 22 with the same motor but I want to run a good oil (Amsoil, etc.) Any recommendations?

Are you guys running conventional oil or did any of you switch to a full synthetic?

Thanks in advance!

With an '012, stick to whatever they say. Don't give a reason to turn down a warranty issue. By the book verbatim.

That being said, ha. All these different 'bu engines seem to like different oils.

Mines a 95 with 1000 hours. This year I put in part synthetic, Castrol 20W-50. Best oil ever !!!!!!!

The engine loves it. Holds oil pressure cold or warm like no oil in any vehicle I've ever had. By eyesight, shows absolutley no breakdown at about 40 hours use this summer.

Think warranty, lol. Those guys know best anyway.

Bjgreen,

Buy a pump, it will drain out your oil in about 3 mins.

Don't crank down your new oil filter on too tight or else the next change will not be fun. Filter hand tight + quarter turn will do it.

Check filter is not double gasketed from last filter.

Prime your new filter with some oil, and lube up gasket with oil.

Run engine on fake lake after completed, inspect for leaks.

Hi guys,

Good thread but I'm looking for any advice or knowledge on what oil everyone is using.

I'm about to do my first oil change on a '12 MXZ 22 with the same motor but I want to run a good oil (Amsoil, etc.) Any recommendations?

Are you guys running conventional oil or did any of you switch to a full synthetic?

Thanks in advance!

Malibuoy,

I assume your manual provides the same guidance as mine - you can switch to synthetic after 100 hours. Having said that, I always switch to Mobil 1 synthetic after 100 hours and believe it provides the best protection. Of course I could be a little biased as I work for ExxonMobil :whistle:

• 1 year later...

I have a question regarding my 08 LSV oil drain hose, does it actually reach to any bottom ports, or should I use a pump? I would rather use a pump but am not sure of what kind to buy, any suggestions?

Beer, you need beer for this job. And time.

Put oil drain hose thru bilge, open drain hose. Drink beers unitl the next day. Then, maybe the oil will all be drained out. Close drain hose, replace. Ski.

Ha, thats basically it. All malilbu's drain slooooowwwly.

Steve

This here is one of the most important steps too the process

Put stabil in the gas tank before you run it to heat up the oil. Run the boat for at least 20 minutes. The temp you're reading is for the water not the oil. The hotter you get the oil the better off you are.

Second set of hands to hold the drain tube in the the container you put the oil in.

I use Delo 15-40 Diesel Oil.

Use one of these http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=6001316

I would change your v-drive, transmission oil and fuel filter.

All the salient points have been made, but I would strongly highlight the point on only hand tightening the new filter. Even doing that correctly, the removal in the fall always seems to take more force than it should. I have found the channel locks style of oil filter wrench to be the cat's meow. Worth the $12 investment.

All the salient points have been made, but I would strongly highlight the point on only hand tightening the new filter. Even doing that correctly, the removal in the fall always seems to take more force than it should. I have found the channel locks style of oil filter wrench to be the cat's meow. Worth the $12 investment.

+1. I found the channel locks style of oil filter wrench at Harbor Freight on clearance for $1. Not the highest quality but it worked well when I used it this fall, Probably not the best pick for a full time mechanic but for the number of oil changes I do per year, it was a good price.