Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with Malibu vinyl discoloring

kjf

Hi ~ great forum!

I recently purchased a new (to me) 2006 Malibu 21 Sunscape. We are the second owners, and it is our family's first inboard (previously owner outboard fish-n-ski boats) and we've had a chance to get on the lake a few times and love the boat! Makes me think, 'what took us so long to make the change to an inboard!'

The boat came with the original factory cover (black canvas material w/ Malibu logo and straps that go down around the trailer). Prior to me, the original owner stored the boat indoors. For now, I've been storing the boat outside (a total of 4-5 weeks so far) with the factory cover on. I noticed today that the vinyl in the bow area is discoloring in spots, mostly along the top edges. The vinyl actually looks burnt (brownish-orange).

I'm working on a plan to store the boat indoors, but meanwhile I'm wondering if the discoloring is an issue with the factory cover (the canvas material feels thin and cheap) or the Malibu vinyl. I certainly want to solve the problem before the discoloring becomes worse.

Thanks for any help or advice! Much appreciated.

Hi ~ great forum!

I recently purchased a new (to me) 2006 Malibu 21 Sunscape. We are the second owners, and it is our family's first inboard (previously owner outboard fish-n-ski boats) and we've had a chance to get on the lake a few times and love the boat! Makes me think, 'what took us so long to make the change to an inboard!'

The boat came with the original factory cover (black canvas material w/ Malibu logo and straps that go down around the trailer). Prior to me, the original owner stored the boat indoors. For now, I've been storing the boat outside (a total of 4-5 weeks so far) with the factory cover on. I noticed today that the vinyl in the bow area is discoloring in spots, mostly along the top edges. The vinyl actually looks burnt (brownish-orange).

I'm working on a plan to store the boat indoors, but meanwhile I'm wondering if the discoloring is an issue with the factory cover (the canvas material feels thin and cheap) or the Malibu vinyl. I certainly want to solve the problem before the discoloring becomes worse.

Thanks for any help or advice! Much appreciated.

Take a read here:

I have also seen where if people use a very abrasive cleaner such as magic erasers and bear down, over time and sun exposure it will turn the vinyl hard and orangish colored. Usually effects the tops of seats and bolsters where the sun beats down the hardest. Not really much you can do about it besides maybe some vinyl treatments to get some moisture back into the seat, and potentially some vinyl dye, if you can find the right color, to restore it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey IXFE ~ sorry, didn't mean to stir up a pointless topic or ask a stupid question. Still trying to learn the ropes on the new Malibu. Thanks for humoring me.