Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stargazer install on 2001 Sunsetter LXI

I recently installed the new Star Gazer Wake Edition on my 2001 Sunsetter Lxi with indmar Monsoon 325hp EFI. My issue since the installation is with my transmission. Forward is working correctly. For example, when you advance the throttle lever forward the transmission goes into gear and the throttle accelerates correctly. However, when I put the lever in reverse, the engine accelerates then the transmission pops into gear. With the ignition off, I moved the lever forward and saw that the transmission went into gear first then the throttle started moving. I then moved the lever into reverse and saw that the transmission went into reverse then the throttle advanced. There is no gap in my throttle linkage when against idle stop. I have a Morse MV-3 controller. Any suggestions???

there are some metal cable retainer / holders on the back side of the engine, holding the ends of the throttle and trans cable housing. Any chance you loosened one or the other to attach the PP cable and didn't re-secure the holder? They're like a half circle arm that swing down over the cable housing end.

Yes I have mechanical stargazer. With stargazer in the "off" or "on" position the problem occurs. I noticed it when launching the boat. When I put boat in reverse I get engine acceleration before transmission is in gear.

About the Metal retainer clip for the throttle cable that you mentioned. In order to install PP cable, I had to move the clip back to the next hole in order for the throttle cable and the PP cable to connect to each other and the throttle to rest on the idle stop. In other records the throttle cable was too close to the PP cable to make the connection.

In order to install PP cable, I had to move the clip back to the next hole in order for the throttle cable and the PP cable to connect to each other and the throttle to rest on the idle stop. In other records the throttle cable was too close to the PP cable to make the connection.

Just my take, but I think your issue is related to moving the clip.

• 4 weeks later...

If you haven't fixed this yet, I had the same issue. I adjusted the post nut that attaches to the throttle lever, on the morse controller. The PP kit changed the length of the cable and it needs altered.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe I figured out my problem. I did not put the lever in gear when I connected the throttle cable to the throttle body. I connected the throttle cable with the lever in neutral.