Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rudder damage

I am looking at buying a used Sunscape lsv. The seller advised me that the last time out the boat had a strike, requiring a new prop, and that there appears to be some rudder and/or rudder box damage. He says that the boat is hard to steer (not sure in which direction after the strike). The boat is about 3 hours away, so i dont want to make multiple trips to inspect it, what shoudl i look for, where, etc... What kind of repair costs mgiht I be looking at?

Thanks.

Here are links to new rudders and assemblies, would want to know if any fiberglass damage. Maybe the seller could email you some photos and you could post them, that would help, get some close up of the fiberglass around the rudder assembly on the bottom. Also look at the strut, it could be bent. If the strut, prop and rudder were bent, then you have a driveshaft thats needs to be inspected. On the other hand, the rudder could be fine and the steering cable could need replacing (age, not damage) if the rudder is straight, and hard to turn, you would need to disconnect the steering cable to determine if the rudder is binding or if the cable is the problem. Steering cables are not to expensive and pretty easy to replace. Get some pictures.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DISC-RPTNSLOTASS

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1469

I asked for pictures, and hopefully that will help. Th eboat has 134 hours on it, woudl the steering cable detriorate due to age, not use, or possibly accelerate due to lack of use?

Hours has very little to do with the steering cable. If the boat had water in the haul it will rune the cable. More often then not its the cable. If he knows he had a strike I would look at the gel coat around the rudder.

Also is the boat able to take a test ride? You need to check for vibrations! As said bent shaft, Prop, check all the running gear.