Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'Bu doesn't start after running, then sitting! '99 Response.

For a while now, after I run the boat for a while, then let it sit, the boat doesn't start. I usually need to wait for a while, then it will start. HOWEVER, the last time I took it out I ran it, then let it sit and it never started again. It had fuel, the starter is working, the battery is good and it acted like it wanted to start....but wouldn't.

Any thoughts? My only thought is "fuel pump", but I only know about slalom skiing....not much about engines. :)

For a while now, after I run the boat for a while, then let it sit, the boat doesn't start. I usually need to wait for a while, then it will start. HOWEVER, the last time I took it out I ran it, then let it sit and it never started again. It had fuel, the starter is working, the battery is good and it acted like it wanted to start....but wouldn't.

Any thoughts? My only thought is "fuel pump", but I only know about slalom skiing....not much about engines. :)

Sounds like Vapor Lock to me. Might do a search on the site for that. Assume you have changed your fuel filter at regular intervals.

Try running your blower to ventilate the engine box to help remove the heat when you stop after running. Also, you can wrap a cold towel around the fuel pump for 30 seconds an that usually gets the pump to prime an move fuel if it won't start.

Edited by BuFootin

Sounds like Vapor Lock to me. Might do a search on the site for that. Assume you have changed your fuel filter at regular intervals.

Try running your blower to ventilate the engine box to help remove the heat when you stop after running. Also, you can wrap a cold towel around the fuel pump for 30 seconds an that usually gets the pump to prime an move fuel if it won't start.

THANKS BuFootin! I replaced both fuel filters last year. Can "vapor lock" mean "bad fuel pump"?

THANKS BuFootin! I replaced both fuel filters last year. Can "vapor lock" mean "bad fuel pump"?

Usually no, The fuel vaporizes in the fuel lines and pump. The pump can only handel a liquid thus the vapor lock.

I use a bumper to prop the motor box open when sitting, solved my problems.

In most cases if the fuel pump is bad...it won't start at all. You can spend the $150 bucks or so for a new fuel pump but I'd recommend that you try what was suggested already. This is a fairly common and well known problem, especially with the Monsoon engines. Is that what you have in your boat?

the cold damp towel on the fuel pump trick works everytime. Dunk it in the lake or ice chest, wring it out and slap it around the fuel pump for 30 seconds....be sure to look really smart to impress the chicks...and ....voila...start engine !

....oh....just be sure you remove the cold towel befor you try and start it.......don't want the towel to get wrapped up in any of the engine pulleys.....that won't impress the chicks ;)

Edited by BuFootin

Kinda warm out when it happens lars? ha. Sorry, but there has been like 20 recent posts about this issue lately. You have vaporlock. Essentially all malibu's are vulnerable.

Please do a word search for vaporlock on the site, you'll get the jist, and how to minimize it.

Steve B.

Has anyone tried relocating the pump back near the tank? The pump is in kinda of a tight spot and very close to the exhaust.

I think some have but no resluts posted that I am aware of.

I fought it for 4 years. Finally bought a Carter low pressure pump to install before the factory High pressure pump and solved the problem for good. A shot of ice water from the cooler normally got me going again. Opening hatch and running blower more did not always prevent the V. L.

I fought it for 4 years. Finally bought a Carter low pressure pump to install before the factory High pressure pump and solved the problem for good. A shot of ice water from the cooler normally got me going again. Opening hatch and running blower more did not always prevent the V. L.

Where did you install the pump? How did you wire it?

I had this happen a few times, and it turned out that my impeller had a busted tooth on it. May want to check the simple things too. Once the impeller was replaced, I had no more VP issues. I guess I should have noticed that the engine was running a little hotter than normal, but I just assumed it was because it was hotter outside.

another thing folks reccomend is insulating the fuel lines....especially those inside the engine compartment where is gets real hot. Very cheap and easy thing to do.

Do that, and on hot days when floating, run your blower a lot, and crack that engine hatch to let that furnace blast of hot air out. your goal is to keep the fuel in the lines, and in the engine from sitting at 170+ degs for long periods of time. I kept a eye on my engine temps a few weeks ago. Coming in to party cove, cut the engine... temp spiked to 180...and after 6-7 hrs was still at 150 with doing nothing(opening hatches, blower etc etc.) next time out, I did all of that and by 6-7 hrs later I had temps down to 120ish (105 degs that day). So you def CAN make a difference in the temps in your engine compartment.

Another thing is to start the engine periodically if you know your boat is prone to vapor lock. run it for 30-45 seconds... brings fresh cooler fuel up thru the lines.

Where did you install the pump? How did you wire it?

Installed pump on the starboard support under the rear center cushion. Just below where the center storage bin hangs. About 12" ahead of the stock pump on the engine block. Mounted after the stock filter. Piggy back the wires on top of the original wires on top of the stock pump.

another thing folks reccomend is insulating the fuel lines....especially those inside the engine compartment where is gets real hot. Very cheap and easy thing to do.

Do that, and on hot days when floating, run your blower a lot, and crack that engine hatch to let that furnace blast of hot air out. your goal is to keep the fuel in the lines, and in the engine from sitting at 170+ degs for long periods of time. I kept a eye on my engine temps a few weeks ago. Coming in to party cove, cut the engine... temp spiked to 180...and after 6-7 hrs was still at 150 with doing nothing(opening hatches, blower etc etc.) next time out, I did all of that and by 6-7 hrs later I had temps down to 120ish (105 degs that day). So you def CAN make a difference in the temps in your engine compartment.

Another thing is to start the engine periodically if you know your boat is prone to vapor lock. run it for 30-45 seconds... brings fresh cooler fuel up thru the lines.

I did everything mentioned here and still had issues. Just spring for the second pump and worry no more! I know I messed with it for 4 years before finally getting it right.

http://www.skidim.co...?number=49-5137

I didn't use the kit but bought my own pump and wired it myself. Cost me just over $100. Used same Carter marine pump used in this kit.

Edited by dalt1
  • 10 years later...
3 hours ago, Michelle33 said:

Did you use the pump linked as the 2nd pump? Going to try this to hopefully fix this issue once and for all! Thanks to you. 

Yes mounts before the standard pump and piggy backed wires off original pump.