Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response - Making Closed Bow Open Bow

rajfooter

I'm new to the forum, and not sure if this has been discussed before...couldn't find it in my search.

I sold Malibu boats in the early 2000's and remember selling a couple of Responses that were originally sold as closed bow boats to ski teams (Tommy Bartlett and Rock Aqua Jays) - BUT they were also sold with the vinyl ring to make the boats into open bows. All that needed to be done is cut the fiberglass for the opening, drop in the vinyl ring, add the seat and rails and you had an open bow...

Does anyone know if these boats were built specifically for that? Could I take any older Response CB, buy the vinyl ring and rails, buy the seat and make my own?

I'm looking to purchase a boat soon, and I see a lot of nice Response CB's out there, but I need an open bow...

I've never seen it done with my own eye's but I have been told you can do it. Where you would have an issue is if you were trying to do it to an Echelon because the deck is not flat where you would make it an open bow.

Also where the seat rests on a Response LX there are blocks that the seat rests on. You may need to make those as well

It can definitely be done. Someone over at the old MBO had done it and posted a how-to at one point. It may have been skicrave actually. Might want to ping him.

I'm new to the forum, and not sure if this has been discussed before...couldn't find it in my search.

I sold Malibu boats in the early 2000's and remember selling a couple of Responses that were originally sold as closed bow boats to ski teams (Tommy Bartlett and Rock Aqua Jays) - BUT they were also sold with the vinyl ring to make the boats into open bows. All that needed to be done is cut the fiberglass for the opening, drop in the vinyl ring, add the seat and rails and you had an open bow...

Does anyone know if these boats were built specifically for that? Could I take any older Response CB, buy the vinyl ring and rails, buy the seat and make my own?

I'm looking to purchase a boat soon, and I see a lot of nice Response CB's out there, but I need an open bow...

I'll save you time. Purchase the Webfooters open bow 2011 Response LX. :)

Yeah, I did that on my Response. If the factory will sell you the trim kit it can be done, but I'm not sure if you can get the parts anymore.

You'll have to reroute the wiring running up to the bow, as it's in the way, and you have to fabricate and glass in the supports for the seat cushion.