Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me! Boatmate teailer issue!

We are heading down to the NW WOW and I am having trailer issues. When heading down the highway on a downhill if we hit some bumps the trailer will start to bounce and the brakes lock up and smoke the tires. It bounced so hard it bent the hitch. Any help would be great. I am thinking air or water in the lines?

Sounds like something in the tongue is messed up causing the master cylinder to engage the brakes. I'd be looking between the coupler to the master cylinder.

1222 58 Avenue Southeast Calgary, AB T2H 2E9

(403) 258-7855

If you need something fixed swing into Standens in Calgary perhaps

Do you have an issue with the suspension on the trailer as you mentioned it was "bouncing" if that is the case you may find that the brake lockups are caused by this as the sudden pitching will load up the drawbar and also may lead to less contact pressure on the tyres causing them to lock up easily. I would jack up the trailer and make sure that the axles all move up and down as expected. Air will make the brakes less effective and water will usually cause something to corrode and either work or not work

Actually, it's working normally. If you are going down hill and start to slow down the tow vehicle the trailer will push against it and start braking. If by chance you go over hard enough bumps where the trailer will bounce, the force of the bounce and downhill force will apply the brake and lock up the wheel in mid-air, so when it drops back onto the pavement it's now locked up. Until you pull ahead faster than the trailer to disengage the surge brakes, they will drag, smoke, and eventually melt into a molten mass. lol....well, maybe not that bad.

Peter

Peter. They are definetley not normal. The bumps are not big at all. This is the fourth trailer with the same braking system. Same roads that we have tracelld with the same trailer. It was so bad it bent the hitch and ball. We were not under braking when this happened.

Just a quick update. I just got off of the phone with UFP and they are sending me a new actuator. What great customer service! They were fantastic at trying to sort out the issue and provide a solution.

Thanks again to Bill at UFP and Jerry at Boatmate! :thumbup:

Edited by Malibuzer