Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

want to add fuel octane attitive

I put in low octane fuel into my Monsoon 330. My boat is sputtering every once in a while when starting out and only has a top speed of 43mph. It should have top speed of 48mph. Any ideas if I can add octane boost to my fuel. I was told that many of those are alcohol based, and have alcohol which actually takes the moister out of the air and liquifies it, adding water to the fuel. we all know , thats a no no.

FWIW, per the owner's manual..."the only additive that is recommended by Indmar for use in your engine is Sta-Bil brand fuel stabilizer".

LS3 and LSA Engines - 91 Octane

All other Indmar Engines - 89 Octane

edit - to add octane

Edited by srintx

FWIW, per the owner's manual..."the only additive that is recommended by Indmar for use in your engine is Sta-Bil brand fuel stabilizer.

You could be masking a bigger problem?

:plus1: Just put some 91 in ASAP and no corn gas.

Pretty much all fuel "dryers" are isopropyl alcohol. They don't absorb air moisture, they make the water already in gas more soluble so it doesn't separate and cause bigger problems. And it sounds more like you have a different problem than low octane if the boat is sputtering and not going as fast as it used to. There's more power potential in lower octane, so running higher than the 89 required in your boat will only make it more inefficient and hence slower. Could just be some bad gas, could be needing a tune up, who knows.

Drain all the gas out, siphon whatever, fill up your wife, kids, mom's, GFs, cars and start with good gas. Change the fuel filter. SeanQ has a good point, doesn't sound like octane is your problem.

Likely not an octane problem at all. Sounds like you have other issues you need to look into.

And besides the People's Republic of Kalifornia, where else in the US or Canada sells 91? Lowest I've ever seen anywhere for premium is 92. Mine calls for 93, which most stations sell.

Likely not an octane problem at all. Sounds like you have other issues you need to look into.

And besides the People's Republic of Kalifornia, where else in the US or Canada sells 91? Lowest I've ever seen anywhere for premium is 92. Mine calls for 93, which most stations sell.

Nevada.

Utah actually sells 85 as regular.

Nevada.

Utah actually sells 85 as regular.

I filled up a couple times in Nevada when I rented an Elise in Vegas - it was all 93 that I can recall.

We used to be able to get 86 octane, but that was only at Sunoco and that went away a good 10+ years ago. Sunoco also carried 94, but sadly that went away a couple years ago as well. :(