Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Impeller Damage?

RLPBL

Not sure if this has ever happened before to anyone and wondering if I may have done some damage.

here's the situation...

Pulling boat out at the ramp yesterday, my third idles boat on to the trailer, I winch it up and pull the rig up the ramp. I always stop on the ramp as soon as boat is out to check to make sure its sitting even before I pull all the way out, so its not a huge amount of time. I pull it out of water, get out of truck and realize he left the engine running, quickly yell to him and he shut it down. Total time spent running was probably less than 30 seconds or in and around there. (assuming/hoping when the boat was being winched that the impeller was still drawing water)

Question, do you think this could have damaged my impeller, and if so, is there a way for me to check this while its in the driveway, or do I have to basically take it out again and see if it starts overheating to know?

thanks..

a 30 second "dry" start is worse than a 30 second wet spin but depending on the age and type it could have definitely done some damage. Too many variables to accurately predict. When was the last time changed? IF a year or more, just change it. IF not, pull it and take a look at it.

jkendallmsce

remove the 4 screws or bolts and take a peek at the impellor...if chewed up it will be quite obvious. I am assuming it is a newer boat, as the older skiers, etc were a bit of a pain to replace the impeller.

85 is right, if worried, change it out...better to replace a $30 part, than a $5-10k engine. if ok, then ya have a spare. You can get impellors at NAPA for about $25-30. Same part you'll pay $50 at the boat dealership/marine shop.

And never let your third drive the boat again!!

Edited by jkendallmsce

remove the 4 screws or bolts and take a peek at the impellor...if chewed up it will be quite obvious. I am assuming it is a newer boat, as the older skiers, etc were a bit of a pain to replace the impeller.

85 is right, if worried, change it out...better to replace a $30 part, than a $5-10k engine. if ok, then ya have a spare. You can get impellors at NAPA for about $25-30. Same part you'll pay $50 at the boat dealership/marine shop.

And never let your third drive the boat again!!

Quality impellers at NAPA for $25? DIM are $40 plus shipping.

Edited by eyepeeler

If it is a Johnson, you will want to pull it and check. Very possible it is trashed, especially if it was towards the end of its life.

If it is a Globe Run Dry, you should be okay. A couple weeks ago we were rushing out of the water due to an mean storm heading towards us. My wife somehow forgot to shut the boat off...it ran from 30-45 seconds out of the water. Shut it down, no biggie since we have the Globe Run Dry - didn't even bother checking the impeller and it still works perfectly. :)

30 seconds is long, but not that long...if was actually only 30 seconds....one other thing to consider is the wet exhaust hose....the wet exhaust hoses are just that...WET exhaust and not meant to run dry.....when you run an engine out of the water the exhaust becomes DRY exhaust and dry exhaust is VERY HOT..... it starts to burn and internally bubble out the exhaust hose just as it comes out of your exhaust manifolds...

so after you check out your impeller, check out your hoses as well....

Just one more reason to use HIGH temp marine exhaust hoses on your boat....expensive, but worth it in my opinion.... you will see the High temp exhaust hose on my AVITAR

Just bought one for my 1990 skier a few months ago. Exact same one that dim sells.

Are you talking about the Johnson 09-812B? Please list specific link from NAPA website.

Just remove the four screws on the cover and use an impeller puller. http://www.inboardonline.com/how-to/

Impeller puller isn't necessary. Pull the screws/cover plate, spray some WD40 in there, just barely bump the motor over (just to move the impeller blades a bit) and pull it out with a needle nose pliers. A lot cheaper (and probably easier) than buying a $50 puller.

Did you put a new one in this year? I'm sure its fine....

......on a second thought 30 seconds is a bit longer than I originally thought, I'd say taking a look at it would be good.

update on this, took it out saturday am and replaced. The old one was in mint condition. Guess I have a spare now.

On the bright side, I found out how easy it is to do on your own with two screw drivers and some wd40, even with a broken right thumb....

You can substitute tanning oil spray for wd40 if your ever out on water and need to change out impeller. In fact, that stuff works great on various sticky stuff and squeaks.