Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Scratches on New Acme Prop, Typical?

tellushow

Opened brand new Acme 525 prop and discovered grinding-type scratches on backside of one blade. It is a nearly perfect rectangle measuring 2" x 3".

Anyone else see this kind of thing on their Acme prop?

No trouble exchanging, but wondering if this is typical and the next one will have similar thing.

See photo: https://docs.google....LU9LVGN2N3pjME0

I would still call ACME and ask. The CNC milling is supposed to make the ballance perfect from the start. Not have to be hand ballanced by a tech.

I am not saying that this is not normal but I would want to hear there explanation.

the CNC process makes the pitch and diameter perfect EVERY time.....and every now and then, I little balancing is needed.....that is just ACME being ACME.....with their perfect attention to detail to make you have the PERFECT prop.....

you can relax, but I can understand your questions as well...

jkendallmsce

I would still call ACME and ask. The CNC milling is supposed to make the ballance perfect from the start. Not have to be hand ballanced by a tech.

I am not saying that this is not normal but I would want to hear there explanation.

jkendallmsce

The wheels on your car and supposedly balanced, but ya gotta ad weights to balance them. Even after being milled/machined, when you spin something at 3000+ rpms, it don't take much to make it wobble.

You sometimes have to add a few to several ounces to a 30 pound SUV/truck wheel to balance it.

Besides, the front side of the prop and the trailling edge is what your are buying and what gets your from point a to point b.

Edited by jkendallmsce
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...