Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

105 and rolling to the lake last week - almost gave my spare away

ilovetrains

to a stranger I would likely never see again, when I am on my way to/from the lake with the family/friends.... i'd consider giving up my spare for about 300-350$ cash. . Just to have a full replacement mailed to my doorstep easy peasy. or offer my can of fix-a-flat for the 20$ it costs. or offer the tire hole plug set w/ T handle thing I keep in the truck for the $10 it costs for a nail or bolt puncture.

for a friend, I'd stay till it was right, offer/lend anything till he was rolling again. Im a pretty reasonable guy, but not sure how much time Id spend with my folks in tow trashing OUR day as precious as all of our lake time is... THAT would be a great topic to mull over.

How much time would you guys give to a stranger like this, stranded, no apparent danger or anything.... who failed to take all the reasonable steps we know we should when boating?

What if it was on the way to the lake, Saturday, July 4th weekend with 8 family in tow vs a regular you and a buddy watersports session?

to a stranger I would likely never see again, when I am on my way to/from the lake with the family/friends.... i'd consider giving up my spare for about 300-350$ cash. . Just to have a full replacement mailed to my doorstep easy peasy. or offer my can of fix-a-flat for the 20$ it costs. or offer the tire hole plug set w/ T handle thing I keep in the truck for the $10 it costs for a nail or bolt puncture.

for a friend, I'd stay till it was right, offer/lend anything till he was rolling again. Im a pretty reasonable guy, but not sure how much time Id spend with my folks in tow trashing OUR day as precious as all of our lake time is... THAT would be a great topic to mull over.

How much time would you guys give to a stranger like this, stranded, no apparent danger or anything.... who failed to take all the reasonable steps we know we should when boating?

What if it was on the way to the lake, Saturday, July 4th weekend with 8 family in tow vs a regular you and a buddy watersports session?

What if this wally had 4 inocent misty eyed children in the truck just dying to get to the water...way too many variables and not worth pondering and having this end up like a stereo thread :crazy:

Edited by Ndawg12
jkendallmsce

so I was leaving town for our week at Table Rock at 3:00 on Friday. Truck was reading 105 (bank clock across from QT read 108) and stop for diesel/gas.

Guy pulls in next to me in a Durango pulling a 18 ft crownline - with a separated tread right rear that tore the end of the trailer to pieces.

My first thought was to offer my spare, but with 200 miles to go and the heat, I was pretty hesitant. Ended up sending him next door to wal-mart who had tires in the right size.

Looked at the DW and said that is why I have a spare tire! She said I needed to drink less beer...I think she misunderstood.

You did your good deed by directing him to Walmart....a few bucks outta his pocket and he'd be back on the road again. Don;t make his PPPPPP (prior planning prevents piss poor performance) your problem.

really depends on specifics, and the person's attitude.

I might offer my spare and then follow them to the nearest place to get a replacement if there wasn't something very close by.

I have been helped out too many times to simply walk away.

• Like 1

Murphy's law says if you gave him your spare then you would have gotten a flat in about 10 minutes. Depends on scenario and if they were in danger .

I invited friend to go in my boat which is an hour drive. Then batteries were dead in boat. Luckily someone living on water in houseboat had a second battery not being used. I had no money but offered him $100 to borrow battery. Came back a week later and have him $100. Even though battery new is $80 , it was well worth the other option of not going out and I wanted to give him a good amount for trusting me and kind gesture.

He was psyched and said if I ever need anything else just ask.

Edited by JoeMama
  • Like 1

What's a DW? I don't get why she said to drink less beer.

It was in response to, "That's why I have a spare tire!"

OK, maybe I am a little slow. So I suppose she thought you were being rude and that's why she said that? What does DW stand for?

Dumb Wife? :)