Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Plenty of room right?

MalIbuCPA

Ok, I live in CO my 'bu lives in MI, don't get me started, :Frustrated:

Anyway, I am driving back to Pure Michigan this weekend, picking my boat up and heading up north for my week with the Bu.

So this year i am bringing my dirt bikes with me in the back of my stock 2008 Chevy 1500K Extended cab short bed. Carrying 2 bikes requires the tailgate to be down.

I should have plenty of room to pull my Malibu with the tailgaite down, right? I look at it now down without trailer and say there is plenty of room, but just thought I would check with the crew.

'95 Response on a Elite Trailer...

If not the bikes stay here in CO, def not the end of the world. The end of the world would come when i pick up the Response and I can't pull my boat because of the tailgate. I guess at that point I could take the tailgate off and put it in the boat but I am not sure i remember exactly where the back tires of the bikes sit.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ok, I live in CO my 'bu lives in MI, don't get me started, :Frustrated:

Anyway, I am driving back to Pure Michigan this weekend, picking my boat up and heading up north for my week with the Bu.

So this year i am bringing my dirt bikes with me in the back of my stock 2008 Chevy 1500K Extended cab short bed. Carrying 2 bikes requires the tailgate to be down.

I should have plenty of room to pull my Malibu with the tailgaite down, right? I look at it now down without trailer and say there is plenty of room, but just thought I would check with the crew.

'95 Response on a Elite Trailer...

If not the bikes stay here in CO, def not the end of the world. The end of the world would come when i pick up the Response and I can't pull my boat because of the tailgate. I guess at that point I could take the tailgate off and put it in the boat but I am not sure i remember exactly where the back tires of the bikes sit.

Thanks for your help in advance.

\

I've thought about the exact same thing except with just one bike. I have a truck box in the bed so i need my tail gate down to haul the dirt bike. I would be worried about having to back up into a tight turn, but i haven't tried it personally so I'm not sure if it would be an issue.

If you can load the bikes and have enough room to raise the tailgate some with a ratchet strap hooking from rear hooks and around underside of hitch it will work, just take big bumps easy. I have towed my boat this way with a 4wheeler in the back like this for short distances, and with the tailgate lifted some I was able to turn/back with no problems.

Depends on the tounge length of the trailer. On my SMP it is pretty short - I can get the tailgate down if the boat is straight on up to about a 40 degree angle either way. Beyond that the tailgate would be crushed.

Agreed that the tongue length is the key, but i have no idea what distance I am working with until i get there...

I think if I put the bikes so the back tires are just enough on the bed I will just pull the tailgate off and lay it in the boat.

It just occurred to me that this could be a problem so I thought I would post...

On my old Chebie I use to throw the tail gate cables around the tail gate latch pin. This kept the tail gate up at a 45 deg angle, and helped keep gear in the bed when I had more than one bike.

Or just leave the tail gate home...that is probably the best solution.

Put the bikes in backward and build a platform for the front tires to sit on that just high enough to close the tailgate.

Scott

You could always get a longer drawbar or extender to get a little extra room.

That would be best but, the trailer harness and safety cables might not be long enough.