Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ballast set up for a 2001 23LSV

bfin1977

Depends what you are looking for. I'm looking for a more lippy wake that pops you up when you hit it. The setup that I tried this weekend and loved was 1200 lbs between the ski locker and the back 2 engine compartments and then another 700 on the floor in front of the back seat with 4 adults in the boat. If you are looking for something bigger with a bigger investment Nirousbird's suggested setup creates an awesome wake and that is similar to what we run on my buddy's boat with more wake in front of the back seats.

Im not sure if the 350 monsoon motor will gut that much weight out with 2200 in the rear

It probably won't without the fronts and ski locker filled. Would probably have to prop up to a Acme 1235 or 1273. Or just not fill them all the way for wakeboarding, and just fill one during surfing depending on which side you are surfing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same boat 2002 Wakesetter LSV (23) and I add a 400 lb bag in the bow in additon to what Nitrousbird recommended running 10.5 mph. If I only have three people then we add a 400 on top of the seat as well. My son rides behind pro wakesurfers' boats and said the wake is comparable to them, just a little on the steep side.

I was going to ask the same question. I suspect you are not using a wedge because I have the same boat and with the wedge it is almost too lippy without weight up front.

me_ski is my dad.

We run the wedge. Without it I cant get enough push out of the wave for good airs. The wave feels mushy (even with the 1100lbs in the back).

The 400lbs in the bow mellow out the transition a bit as well as lengthens the wave.

That hull just produces a steep wake and I dont think there is much you can really do about it. It definitely doesnt hold me back though.

I'm running the same boat. Many times it's just my son and I riding. Therefore, I run the wedge, 1100 lb bag in the v-drive side compartment, 260 lb under seat, 260 lb on top of seat nearest the front observers seat, and 450 lb in the ski locker. When I have a large crew, I don't even mess with the wedge. It's only a substitute for real weight. I really don't like the way the boat handles with the wedge, but it is a good alternative to several extra people in the boat. Nice wake with a descent amount of push for such a light load.

• 2 months later...

I just sold my 2000 lsv, I used the following:

rear ski lockers 375lb tube sacs (fit great and went under rear seats)

mid ski locker 375lb tube sac

bow (on top of seat) 375 tube sac

Middle 750lb fac sac

Usually 5 people in the boat

Wedge down.

Wake was awesome

I had the ski lockers plumbed to 3 ballast puppies.

I also was running a 1235 acme prop and had NO problem ever getting out of the hole

It probably won't without the fronts and ski locker filled. Would probably have to prop up to a Acme 1235 or 1273. Or just not fill them all the way for wakeboarding, and just fill one during surfing depending on which side you are surfing.

Leave the ski locker bag. Swap the 450's for 1100's and add a bow ballast bag under the seats (adds another ~300).

with that much weight in this boat (+ the variable of peeps) how are you not swamping out on a regular basis? just curious

no power turns from us on the lake or delta , but those rollers are out there and we took a few good ones this year

• 7 years later...

Hi Guys, I have a 2001 LSV23 and can not figure out how to create a surfable wave.  I have 2 X 720lb bags, and 4 X 350lb bags and a wedge. I don't have a wave shaper. We some times have a crowd, but usually just three of us. Any suggestion are greatly appreciated. Try not to use too much jargon in your reply. I only understand some of these comments. THX!!!

I put the 720s on either side of the engine, and put  2 350s in the ski lockers, and 2 350s in the bow. All got was mushy unsurfable wake. I then put all the 350s in the bow , and it didn't improve the wake at all. Grateful for any insight people have. A

Edited by akirbypsyd
10 hours ago, akirbypsyd said:

Hi Guys, I have a 2001 LSV23 and can not figure out how to create a surfable wave.  I have 2 X 720lb bags, and 4 X 350lb bags and a wedge. I don't have a wave shaper. We some times have a crowd, but usually just three of us. Any suggestion are greatly appreciated. Try not to use too much jargon in your reply. I only understand some of these comments. THX!!!

You don't describe where the bags are.  Buy a wake shaper; you can get one for $80.

On 7/17/2012 at 1:51 PM, bfin1977 said:

Anyone have any input for me on ballast set up for my 2001 23 LSV? Right now i am running 450's in the back with the stock ski locker sac filled also.

If you have MLS tanks - remove them. Replace 450s with 1100s and brace motor divider walls. Add 600 lbs to bow - lead or sac depending on preference. Fill everything and use a wake shaper to determine surf side - no need to list. If you can't plane - change prop to 1235 or the like. No wedge required.

12 hours ago, akirbypsyd said:

Get a wake shaper - we use Mission Delta - put it as far back as possible and a couple inches under water line. Put 2 of those 350s in the bow. Get a 500 for the ski locker. Fill everything even - the shaper will determine surf side. Add another 750 in the floor when you don't have the crowd. No wedge required - but it does make the wave steeper (but shorter).