Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Jl speakers?

Tha5-0

I'm looking to upgrade my current speakers in my boat. I really like the jl audio m770 and the m650s I was planning on putting two of the m770(tower version) on the tower and two m770 regular version in the rear of the boat. And the putting two m650s in the Dash. Does anybody have a setup similar to this? If so any recommendations or advice would be appreciated. Amp wise I was thinking of using the jl 600/6. I would love to have the wet sounds but can't afford them.

I had a full JL system in my X Star and it sounded very good for what it was. Biggest difference between the current wetsounds is the sound travels a lot further.

Are you sure you can't afford the Wetsounds. You may be able to buy your JL stuff from an unauthorized dealer and save some bucks - but the first time something breaks, you will wish you didn't.

So the JL Audio M650 is $400 from an auth. dealer and the XS 650 is $279 from an auth. dealer.

So the JL Audio M770 is $450 from an auth. dealer and the XS 808 is $400 from an auth. dealer.

So the JL Audio 6 channel amp is $529 and the Wetsounds 6 channel amp is $449

I based my JL audio prices on what crutchfield sells them for and based the Wetsounds off the WS website. Since you are a crew member you are eligible for a discount with dealers that partcipate on the forum.

It looks like WS is pretty affordable when you compare it to JL. Also in an open air environment you will be happier with the WS. The JL audio's sound incredible but they give up some output to do so. In an open air environment the WS sound no different with significantly more ouput.

Edited by Murphy8166

I agree that you can afford them, if you can afford JL.

The JL sounds great, and you will be pleased, but I tihnk that it is a stretch to say that the output of the JL is going to be that much less. None of the comparison speakers are HLCD's. I have had both 7.7's and XS 650's in my boats, and think the 7.7 for in boat speakers are superior in both quality and volume. That is a little bit of apples and oranges, since I do not know how to rate the 650 JL speakers.

Tall Red Rider - not getting your comparsion and it is certainly not a fair shake

You are comparing an 8" speaker to a 6.5" speaker. Of course the 7.7's are going to have more ouput than 650.

Have you compred an 8" JL to a 8" WS....When I listened to them they both sounded incredible, to the point where I could not make the call.

When comparing a 6.5" JL to a 6.5" WS....when I listened to them they both sound incredible but we were able to sense a little more output from the WS speaker.

These are just my observations but based on actually hearing the speakers. At the end of the day - the OP can afford wetsounds which is what we need to get back to focusing on

Edited by Murphy8166

I have 6 JL M650s in boat and sound awesome. I buy all my JL from unauthorized dealers and saved a ton. They sound great. Just do Google search and buy cheapest one from a seller that has thousands of good ratings. I have bought JL from www.Sonicelectronics.com, www.

techronics.com, and one other place. Probably at 50% or so off MSRP.

I have the m600/6 but realize its 600w at 2 ohms which is BS marketing. Who connects this to 2 ohms??? So it's actually 450w at 4 ohms and that's at 14.4V when alternator is running. But I only crank my stereo when cruising so I don't care.

Since I have 6 speakers it works for me and gives me 75w per 6.5 inch speaker. Only 60W per speaker at 12.5 V (engine off). If I had the 7.7 inch then I probably would have bought a different amp or several amps.

Not many vendors sell a marine grade 6 channel.

Also note the RMS volts in, if you are buying an equilizer which says up to 13V RMS output, well who cares as most amps have much lower RMS in. The M600/6 is 4V max RMS in. The newer HDs have 8V RMS in but there's no 6 channel HD version. Plus the equilizer probably connects to three different vendors amps with different RMS in and you would end up choosing the smallest value when setting equalizer settings.

I am not familiar with your boat but the 7.7s are big so make sure they fit or that you can make it fit. I got the 6.5 under my windshield and I had to cut fiberglass to make fit. There's no way in my boat to add 7.7s where the rear speakers are. Even the 6.5s were tough, I had to bend the speaker leads to fit.

I had 4 JL 7.7s in my last boat and sounded incredible. I had no sub but the bass from 4 JL 7.7s in my cabin was shocking. I also have 4 6.5 inch JL speakers in my truck, Love them.

Never heard wetsounds, but people on this forum say they sound great. I have Skylon tower 6.5 inch and I think they don't sound good, but haven't heard other tower speakers. Cant believe previous owner spent all that money on the Skylons.

Also JL and most other vendors only have a 1 yr warranty. That is useless for me. So could care less about the warranty. Speakers and amps don't break within a year and if they do then the money you saved from an unauthorized dealer would buy you whatever broke.

Edited by JoeMama