Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ribs and Vests

srintx

How do you brake ribs on a wake to wake? Does the board come off and hit your ribs? Or is it just caused by your body contorting and hitting water?

I know exactly how you feel. In fact I'm going through it right now. Hard Raley crash back in the end of May. Fractured scapula, several broken ribs and a collapsed lung. It's been the worst trying to recover. Lung and scapula feel fine, but the ribs still hurt. Sleeping is a pain! I've been out riding several times since then, but I can't really hit it hard yet. It's driving me crazy! I'm 36 too and maybe age has something to do with it. Here's to a speedy recovery so you can get back to enjoying it!

Holy CRAP! Glad your better! What vest are you waering?

How do you brake ribs on a wake to wake? Does the board come off and hit your ribs? Or is it just caused by your body contorting and hitting water?

The board had nothing to do with it. My feet stayed in the bindings. I think it was the impact and angle of hitting the water? How does any of this stuff happen? :crazy:

Edited by srintx

Last weekend we went out for a early morning ride. The water was perfect just an all around great time. I took a crash on a simply wake to wake jump that resulted in two fully broke ribs. At 36 years old this is my first broken bone, and man it's painful.

That brings me to my question, what vest do you use that gives you good protection in the rib cage as well as not being bulky?

Thanks for the input!

Shawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow.. your scaring me with the broken ribs. I am 46 ( about to turn 47 ).. starting wakeboarding about 3 years ago. I am not too extreme, but I do get some wake to wake air pretty often, and have wiped out numerous times , usually when I come up short of clearing the wake. ( and yes it hurts ). Luckily I have escaped with a couple of busted eardrums. I now have a neoprene headband that keeps this from happening. I am curious how you landed that you broke your ribs? How fast are you going etc.? .. and sorry for the broken ribs. I had bruised ribs once and a kid, and it was very painful. I can't imagine breaking them.

Wow.. your scaring me with the broken ribs. I am 46 ( about to turn 47 ).. starting wakeboarding about 3 years ago. I am not too extreme, but I do get some wake to wake air pretty often, and have wiped out numerous times , usually when I come up short of clearing the wake. ( and yes it hurts ). Luckily I have escaped with a couple of busted eardrums. I now have a neoprene headband that keeps this from happening. I am curious how you landed that you broke your ribs? How fast are you going etc.? .. and sorry for the broken ribs. I had bruised ribs once and a kid, and it was very painful. I can't imagine breaking them.

19.8 was the speed. The landing was on the left side...it was kinds strange, It felt more like a face plant. I was hurting, but the pain started when we switched to surfing. Laid back in the water getting ready for the pull and I tightened up my body then hard this load POP inside my head. Did not even attempt to get up on the board. I simply could not breath. I had no clue what had happened.

I will say that I think we had adjusted the rope to 65", when we usually ride a 70"...don't think that had much to do with.

How the ribs today?

Thanks for asking Boz! During the last few day's they have been good. At night seems to kill me. The doc just called to check-in and said he still can't believe that I actully broke two. I think each day is gets a little better or I just get more used to it...

I feel your pain. :( I broke or cracked some falling through an attic into the playroom a few years ago. I just remember it being hard to sleep, not so bad upright, but laying down was not good.

I wear the Oneil Law. It's a uscga jacket but I love it. I used to wear comp jackets but was not happy with how little they did to keep my head above water after a few nasty crashes. I am on my second Oneil Law jacket and like how flexible it is and does not feel to bulky or interfere with my slalom skiing.

I wear the Oneil Law. It's a uscga jacket but I love it. I used to wear comp jackets but was not happy with how little they did to keep my head above water after a few nasty crashes. I am on my second Oneil Law jacket and like how flexible it is and does not feel to bulky or interfere with my slalom skiing.

Interesting, I'm torn on which direction to go with a new vest. Comp vs. USCG approved...Several members who wear Comp vest have good points about its ability to aid in crashes and rib protection. Your perspective as a skier is interesting do to the speed you are going...

Hope you feel better. I am 41 and had a herniated disk surgery 8 years ago so cautious of jumps and probably why I never get any air. Would love to do wake to wake but that wake to wake looks way to far !!! I thought all the accidents were from more serious tricks. That's a huge bummer, how long till you can wakeboard again?

Hope you feel better. I am 41 and had a herniated disk surgery 8 years ago so cautious of jumps and probably why I never get any air. Would love to do wake to wake but that wake to wake looks way to far !!! I thought all the accidents were from more serious tricks. That's a huge bummer, how long till you can wakeboard again?

Each day I feel a little better, the night are hard. I have several marathons coming up that I have committed to with $$$$ so that's my biggest concern. I think before I get back on the board I have to find the right vest to protect the ribs...still trying to figure out the best way to go with that.

Shorten the rope, then W2W gets pretty easy. Landing on the down-slope of the opposite wake or out in the flats feels much better on your joints than landing inside the wake. The only thing I do inside the wake is butter slides. I'm 43 with a beat-up shoulder.

Just wondering if you could talk your doctor into writing you a Rx for the new vest you want, then deduct the vest as medical, as it was medically required. But I am no CPA .

Just wondering if you could talk your doctor into writing you a Rx for the new vest you want, then deduct the vest as medical, as it was medically required. But I am no CPA .

Interesting thought...could always ask the question. Still searching for that PERFECT vest!

Interesting thought...could always ask the question. Still searching for that PERFECT vest!

Last week or so, I said I was happy with the Oneill Checkmate vest. That's changed - here's why. Just noticed that the stitching along the bottom has started to unravel in three separate areas. And the same thing is happening in one of the arm holes. I bought the vest right after Father's Day so it's still under warranty. Brought it back to the retailer and they tell me that Oneill requires them to ship it back to CA. Oneill evaluates it to see if it can be repaired or needs to be replaced. Then it's shipped back. I'm in GA so that's a 2-3 week process. In the meantime, I have to make do with my old vests. The local retailer tells me that Oneill is the only one that has this process. Any other manufacturer leaves it up to the retailer to make the call whether to replace or not. Next vest I buy likely won't be an Oneill.

Last week or so, I said I was happy with the Oneill Checkmate vest. That's changed - here's why. Just noticed that the stitching along the bottom has started to unravel in three separate areas. And the same thing is happening in one of the arm holes. I bought the vest right after Father's Day so it's still under warranty. Brought it back to the retailer and they tell me that Oneill requires them to ship it back to CA. Oneill evaluates it to see if it can be repaired or needs to be replaced. Then it's shipped back. I'm in GA so that's a 2-3 week process. In the meantime, I have to make do with my old vests. The local retailer tells me that Oneill is the only one that has this process. Any other manufacturer leaves it up to the retailer to make the call whether to replace or not. Next vest I buy likely won't be an Oneill.

Wow, that sounds like a pain! I have nothing but Oneill vest...I'll keep that in mind next time.