Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Big Trip, misc questions

RLPBL

I'd be cautious towing with the older tires on a long trip. I had a tire (Goodyear Marathon) that the casing came off. When that happened it mangled the boat fender and scratched the boat.

The tire shop told me anything over 4yrs on a trailer tire is risky for long trips and make sure you keep the pressure up in the tires to reduce heat buildup.

I have a 2008 trailer and i think the tires are 2007. Not a lot of miles, but I am replacing the tires now with Kumho 857's (Load Range D). Tire Rack (on-line) is the only place I can find them. I have 1, and it looks like a much better built tire than the Trail America that came from the factory.

I see too many people along the side of the roads with blowouts, so i think a new set every 4 - 5 years is good insurance.

Funny thing is, my boat is an 08, the tires which look brand new are 04 load range D carlisle ultra sport 235 60 r15

I had two different tire guys look at them and both said the same thing, that they were in perfect condition, no dry rot of any kind and the age had no bearing whatsoever on the tire if the condition is good. They both advised me not to waste my money, but to get two spares made up just in case to take with me.

I had them pumped to about 62psi (max cold 65psi) checked temp periodically when we stopped for gas and they were never overly hot. Made the trip just fine and they still look perfect.

That makes 2 trips in 3 months for the trailer and tires of over 1100 miles with one 200 mile trip thrown in between.