Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to me 99 Malibu Sunsetter VLX

jwl019

Finally getting the boat up to my standards, but still have a little more to do.

Here is one if the few pics I have:

2012-07-15_08-24-55_308.jpg

While at Lake Hamilton over last weekend, I wet sanded the trailer with 1000 grit sand paper, then waxed and now itto looks almost new.

Stripped and waxed sides and transom.

Cleaned interior, all had been replaced 2 years ago, so now looks good. Need to vacuum again.

Fixed original prop that had some dings in it (14x18), and got a back up 381 with prop saver kit.

Replaced all trailer tires with new ones and got a spare. I don't see how I made it home on the ones on it but all stores were closed when we headed home from picking it up.

Bought a Monster MTK tower that I am about to install on it with the black finish and black bimini. Also getting the swing in wake/surf rack combo from them. They are on sale now for $129 ea.

Working on getting walk thru windshield replaced that broke on the way home with it.

Next project: wet sand and wax bottom and then it will be good enough for me to relax and enjoy some.

I have already noticed I wish I would have held out for a little newer one with the 3 piece rear sundeck/engine cover since it would be easier accessing anything stored back there. I guess I will get that on my next one!

That is an awesome looking boat. Congrats on the purchase. I don't suppose you could help me with my topic in the maint section :biggrin: . I need a pic of the hose routing from the water pump to the tranny cooler. For the life of me I can't remember how it was routed :(

That is an awesome looking boat. Congrats on the purchase. I don't suppose you could help me with my topic in the maint section :biggrin: . I need a pic of the hose routing from the water pump to the tranny cooler. For the life of me I can't remember how it was routed :(

Posted some pics in your thread, hope it helps.

Looks just like mine! Only in a Vdrive, if you don't mind me asking...what did you pay for it?

Also, ours are both 99's, after you wetsanded with the 1k grit, what'd you do from there?

Nice boat! Sunsetter Crew! Also you doing the tower installation yourself? Where you planning on mounting the brackets on the deck or on the sides of the boat?

Looks just like mine! Only in a Vdrive, if you don't mind me asking...what did you pay for it?

Also, ours are both 99's, after you wetsanded with the 1k grit, what'd you do from there?

After using the 1000 grit paper all I did was wax the trailer with some 3m wax I had for the boat. It makes it look new, you don't have to wet sand much, just a couple rubs all over and keep the paper wet.

Nice boat! Sunsetter Crew! Also you doing the tower installation yourself? Where you planning on mounting the brackets on the deck or on the sides of the boat?

I am debating on installing myself, but scared to drill holes in the boat, so really unsure right this minute. I do have all the stuff to do it except the chamfer drill bit, but will get one if I do it.

I will be mounting on top of the deck.

I am debating on installing myself, but scared to drill holes in the boat, so really unsure right this minute. I do have all the stuff to do it except the chamfer drill bit, but will get one if I do it.

I will be mounting on top of the deck.

I just put a tower on my 98 sunsetter, my local dealer quoted me $400 for the install, even running into some problems it was will worth it, between putting tape on the hole spots and drilling in reverse through the gel coat I ran into no problems with that, just make sure nothing is in the way. I ran into a problem on the port side of the boat with wires being in the way, so just make sure to clear the areas where you are bolting the tower in! Measure 629595 times and drill once, right?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

After using the 1000 grit paper all I did was wax the trailer with some 3m wax I had for the boat. It makes it look new, you don't have to wet sand much, just a couple rubs all over and keep the paper wet.

I misread, thought you wet sanded the boat/gel coat itself. Did you do that as well?

I misread, thought you wet sanded the boat/gel coat itself. Did you do that as well?

I didn't have to wet sand this one, but have on a previous boat. Before doing it though if yours is not really that bad, try some 3m restorer and wax (all in one) in a small area. It has some grit to it and can buff out a lot. If it doesn't work, you will need it anyway after wetsanding. I do wetland my hull sometimes to help remove light scratches, but try not to do it much.

Here is a post where I did some gel cote repair which involves wet sanding:

If wetsanding, you will basically use the same steps except for the gel cote, and probably start in a small area with 1000 grit paper, clean and wax to see. If not the results your looking for drop to 800 and repeat beside the 1000. If its not really bad, you shouldn't really need 600, but you can go to it as a last resort. Do a couple small spots side by side, to see the difference in them if you think you need to go down in grit.

You will love it. I have a '98 and its bee a great boat. For the rear hatch I switched it over to a regular latch with a couple of gas struts much better than the electric ram. I have done a bunch of mods to mine but haven't tried a three piece hatch conversion.......yet.............