Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hull scratches is this normal?

Ottomatic

I have a problem with the front 2 bunks scratching the front of the hull on my 11 Malibu, my question is is this normal?? My ramp is somewhat steep so I can't just float on I have to winch it up hard. I am getting this black marks with some superficial scraches on both sides of my hull??

I always try to float mine on for this reason however I recently noticed I gained some scratches as well. I can say I have some in the same area you're talking about. I also would like to prevent it if possible. Would like to hear from a few others.

To some extent, slight bunk rash is nearly unavoidable... Ive heard of folks using the Aero 303, Pledge, all sorts of stuff to make them more slick...

Unfortuneatly, all that stuff wears off when you dunk the bunks, unless you reapply every time, also you trash your local water ways with stuff on there.

1. Make sure the carpet on your bunks is not worn thru--- IE the carpet corners are rubbed off and your boat is coming in on straight plywood. sometimes all is takes is 1-2 times coming in hard and fast, crooked and you'll wear straight thru the corners of your bunks. keep an eye on them.

2. Come in as slow and controlled possible onto the trailer. Sometimes its windy, or a super busy ramp, waves etc.. and then you gotta come in with some speed to stick it and get out, but when you can, come in slow and gentle. i come in slow when I can, but still have to power forward maybe 1-2ft up to the bow stop. back the trailer in further than that and you risk jamming the nose into/under the bow stop and then you have a larger issue.

3. Also think about when putting in...you scrape loading onto AND when coming off the trailer. minimize it when coming off by going relatively deep, so as soon as you unhook, the boat nearly floats off by itself, so those front bunks are cominpetely wet. THIS is the time to go deeper than normal... power reversing hard to get off the trailer is retarded.

the resulting (normal) bunk rash really is worse than is looks. if you buff it out every year or so it will 99% all disappear. The one thing I do I think makes a difference is put a good wax/polymer spray detailer on that area underneath where the scrapes are... make that area as slick as possible.

Thanks for all the good input I am just super anal when it comes to my boat I will make sure I dunk the bunks for now on but I don't see any wearing through the bunks at all??

It is really unavoidable but my question is: arent you really the only one that notices? I worry about the scratches too but I am the only one that really bothers to look. MY boat is either in the water or in my driveway on the trailer and rarely does anyone walk up and look underneath.

Your too shallow with the trailer.

It's for this kind of reason that I put the trailer in so the fenders are just at the surface of the water, pull the boat in on the trailer, then back in another few inches so I can float/winch the boat up easier. Works even when powerloading.

Other things that help....... Wax the boat in those spots, makes it easier to load & easier to clean up. Liquid Rollers or Pledge furniture polish the bunks in those places makes them slick too.

Youll notice a difference from one application of liquid rollers for a few months depending on use. But dunking the trailer completely first will help the most imo.

I used Liquid Rollers for about a year prior to moving to a marina and it worked very well. I have read stories of it working too well - boats sliding off trailers - but I never had that problem plus my boat was always secured until I was ready to launch/retrieve.

I was one of the ones thinking, how much can the liquid rollers or other products really do, and had never put any on. I just never had seen anything in our area and didn't feel like ordering any thinking it really wasn't going to help that much. A local place started carrying the Caliber Slydz-on so I got some to try. I really feel dumb for not using this stuff before now! I could feel the difference loading the boat the first time, and a big difference! it slides up on the trailer so much further just coasting on. Once in a while I would get crossed up a bit loading, and it seemed to be impossible to straighten with out completely unloading and resetting the trailer, now it just slides into place where its suppose to be. I was also getting the scratches, and my bunk rug has started to ware at the corners, (some of why I decided to try the stuff before replacing rugs, if I didn't like it then I had to replace rugs anyhow) it slides on so easily, it has to be easier on the hull and bunk rug. If anyone is holding out on using something on the bunks, please do your self a favor and go try something. I can't comment on other stuff, but the Caliber Slydz-on absolutely works!

Edited by mainekneeboarder