Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Idle Air Control

If it is fly by wire throttle no and if you have a cable throttle yes (look at the butterfly on the intake and see if it has a throttle cable attached to it)

I suspect that you are looking at the big plastic cover that sits over the top, you will need to remove this to see the air intake underneath, held on by allen head screws from memory

Thanks but no. The top of my motor is a huge black cast aluminum intake with the the air filter built into an end. I don't seem to see a carb at all.

Thanks but no. The top of my motor is a huge black cast aluminum intake with the the air filter built into an end. I don't seem to see a carb at all.

I wonder if that's because of the fuel injectors?

• Like 1

I'll try and get it in the right direction...

I have a Monsoon 340 that is of similar vintage. Can't speak for any differences with the Hammerhead though. Anyway, if you are looking for 'the butterfly' it is probably similar to mine and is in the 'throttle body' located between the inlet air filter and the inlet air plenum. Because my boat didn't come with a Pink Arrow I am using my finger to point in the general area of the butterfly shaft. Your engine is Multi Point Fuel Injected therefore does not have a carburettor. Never the less, it has an inlet air butterfly to throttle the engine.

My engine throttle is cable actuated but I can see no evidence of an idle air adjustment.

I reckon you're probably asking about this because there is some engine misbehavoir at idle? I would be very hesitant to make any adjustments to any throttle components unless you are very confident of what you are doing. If you do have idle problems, it is probably because of something else and, in the absence of other knowledgable help (the ubiquitous mechanical friend [i don't mean a robot]), is probably worth having a pro look into.

UPDATE: Just re-read your post and you are looking for an idle air control VALVE - maybe mine is the lower of the two electrical connectors on the outboard side of the throttle body? Not sure but someone else here will know.

DSCN2596.jpg

DSCN2598.jpg

DSCN2597.jpg

Edited by GreenMan

First,

You need to read post #2 again b/c that info. is correct.

Then, tell us what's really going on.

I used pink just for you, Greenman...

Pinkarrows.gif

Thanks for the info guys. I am struggling with an idle problem. Sometimes when I move the throttle to neutral the rpm's stay at 1000 to 1400. To resolve the issue, I pull out the silver button, give the rpm's a shot and the idle returns to about 600. I'm just trying to figure out what is going on. I was told it could be the idle valve, however I'm working it out if I even have one. I have also heard it could be the TPV on the controls or the motor.

Thanks

Ahh, that might be what they call idle flare or flair. I dont' know anything about it, other than other posters have chatted about it here and there, and I think the fix was to re flash the ECM? Which was evidently common.

My IAC may be going, it has the opposite issue. After coming down from rpm it wants to drop for a second, then catches up. The motor may be a little slow.

Let us know,

Steve B.

Mine does the exact same thing, I'm planning on pulling the throttle body off tomorrow night and cleaning all of the passages as well as the IAC valve and see if that helps

What do you reckon, P.P.?

I'm going with cable throttle and the cable run somewhere has an issue - either the ends of the cable outer are not properly secured or the attachment of the inner at either end is dodgy...? Maybe worn / loose throttle control lever assy?

btw, nice arrows!

Thanks also for the identification of the IAC on mine.

I have a 2006 VLX, and just fixed a problem related to this. On mine, every time I would start it, it would start up then die. Then I would start it again and everything would be fine. We were scratching our heads on which thing was the IAC, took the aluminum cast cover off and the air filter. The butterfly (I think that's right) gate just inside the air intake was sticking in the fully closed position. Also took the cover off to see the gears and little drive motor, all of which was remarkebly clean. We cleaned the housing out with carb cleaner and a rag, there was a ton of carbon buildup, saw that the flapper was no longer catching, put it back together, and it's starting like a champ.

My armchair mechanic diagnosis is that as you start the engine, it closes that flapper to choke the engine. Then the thing would stick closed, and the engine would die. On the second start, it would be stuck closed, get moved, and then start fine.

Now, I have a knocking sound appearing to come from my transmission/vdrive. I'll be posting in another thread if anyone can help.

Ok guys I finally had a really good look in there. Quite difficult in my v drive. The air cleaner and wiring is essentially under the back seat. Ok, so my engine has no throttle cable(Duu), my air intake has no IAC valve or TPS. It just has one large electronic gear mechanism to open and close the butterfly valve. So I am starting to think TPS on the shifter itself.

What do you reckon, P.P.?

Too many variables to diagnose over the internet. I'm a real mechanic, not an internet mechanic.

OP might wanna ping SmoothWaterMan or, Paul at Bakes.