Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Red Bull Wake Open

Big Jay D

I had high hopes for this event. FAIL!

Gripe #1, event coverage vs. commercial advertisements. I'm pretty sure the event coverage was only about 25% of the entire 2 hour show. I know for sure from minute 40 to minute 60 there were 10 full minutes of commercials and only 5 tricks performed.

Gripe #2, they showed 4 pulls of the BOAT comp., the finals. That's it. No highlights of prelims or anything.

Ya know I could go on for a while but I'm over this. The emphasis here is they did a horrible job of promoting the sport. There has been more promotion for all the other Red Bull Signature Series sports (mainly the X Fighters) than water sports.

If I was Malibu I would be a little upset. Other than their paid in commercials with a small (episode 2) nod towards their Surfgate Wave they had nothing to do with the event. The emphasis on cable park stuff made me turn it off about an hour into the production. Big Air off a small ramp behind a cable? Lame.

Red Bull has to find some way to raise money for all the people/kids on the payroll, traveling the world and playing around.

and Malibu is one of the people paying for all this and will be tagging it on the price of the boats :cry:

I was on the water today, but DVR'd it and have it playing now. It has failed to really capture my attention. The 14 year old kid was cool to watch, but I would have rather seen something other than the cable park stuff all day.

Call me old school but what has happened to our sport. I realize a park is more media friendly but nothing is cooler to watch than guys and girls going off behind a boat. I watched the boat portion which was terrible and turned it off. I do hope it brings more people to our sport though.

I know itll bring more kids & adults to our local cable parks here n Tampa. I bumped into so many people who wanted to try to wakeboard now and didnt realize we had 3 parks within a 2hr radius and one 20min away. Or tomorrow I'll see a bunch of people wakeboarding behind their center console boats out in the bay.

I think it's the CBS Sports network that has been showing the college wakeboard championships. I enjoyed watching it. Was encouraging as I think my kids have a chance of making one of those teams (likely the C team member but on the water in college none the less). The A riders had some good tricks.

Yeah, I'm sure cable park riding is fun..........but to me it's not wakeboarding. Not even close. This emphasis on 'park riding' reminds me of how some people are trying to sell snowboarding......which doesn't interest me a bit. Snowboarding = the solitude of powder turns in the middle of the wilderness during a blizzard and the non-sound of stomping a big air in 16" of untouched powder with nobody there to see it .....NOT rails, barrels, fake staircases and other man made crap in the middle of a parking lot with bleachers all around and music blaring. Same thing applies to wakeboarding. Wakeboarding = being pulled down a beautiful stretch of calm river at dusk going w2w and landing on water so still you can see your reflection as you look down to spot your landing....... NOT what I saw not-so-neatly packaged & sold on Saturday on NBC. Yuck.

It's sad too. I love Red Bull and the platform they've given all of these AMAZING non-mainstream athletes to perform on. I think as a company they've probably done more for 'action sports' (for lack of a better term) than anyone. I just think you don't need to modify everything for TV.... With the money they spent on that, they could have set up some super elaborate filming crews to capture what wakeboarding really is, rather than modifying wakeboarding to fit the TV. Think how cool it would be if they'd set up HD cameras on wire & pulley systems for a mile stretch of river (similar to what they do for skier cross events, etc) to follow right next to the rider & see every hit from that perspective. Combine that with some cool shots from a helicopter & a cameraman on a tube under the rider, etc, etc, etc.

I mean think about how crazy/sad it is that the only 'wakeboarding' ever seen on a major network has literally nothing to do with what 90% of us know as wakeboarding! To boot, you've got Parks Bonifay calling it something to the effect of "the most important day in wakeboarding" :vomit: Seriously...........the only way that show gets any worse is if Mastercraft is involved :lol:

It was cool, but I must say I was a little disappointed. Too many commercials, not enough coverage of the boat event, and the big air event was kinda weak. I guess for Redbull, the cable park better suits their style of show. What they should have done was to have one event behind the boat (MXZ), one event using the boat and all the ramps from the park together, no cable. And one Wakesurf event using the new Surfgate, with info on this breakthrough technology. Then throw in some foilers towed by ultralights jumping through flaming hoops with some bikini clad girls cheering them on. Now that would have been way better, don't you think? :clap:

Oh yeah, the Canadians rocked. :rockon: