Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat in the water all season?

Soon2BV

OK, this is "Phase II" of the boat on a lift all year question.

We are really leaning to renting a dock and leaving the boat in, but might wait another year to get a lift and be sure we actually use the boat more and it is worth the cost of the slip rental.

So, next question is about leaving the boat in the water for long periods. Dale Hollow is a pretty clean lake, but it will be in a marina so there is probably less flow through of water. We are thinking maybe we would pull the boat our once a month to really clean it, or to try and clean it in the water, but I don't want to save a money on delaying a lift and then regret what happens to the boat.

Anyone leave a boat in the water for extended periods? All summer?

I do it all the time. For the last 4 boats I've owned. And never had a problem. You have to pull the boat to clean & dry it out occasionally. Be sure you have a good cover, even under a marina cover, as they will keep out the bugs. Covers with vents or that don't cover up the boat's vents won't do the job.

And be sure you have a good battery setup. I have a Perko that I turn off. And the auto-bilge is hooked up directly to the battery. And then I check on the boat every day or two & I'm prepared to pull it out if there is a big storm brewin.

Keeping the boat on the lake is great for getting out in the evenings quickly. Takes all the boat ramp hassles out of the picture.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I put mine in the water mid April and don't take it out until end of October. Yes, the hull get scummy but if you on/off it as soon as it comes out of the water while the scum is still wet it cleans easy.

MInes been in the water for about 4 weeks now. First time for her. I think I'll pull her in a week or so, and let dry out.

It's so convenient, but some minor dock rash, and platform rash. Fingers crossed on the bottom,

Steve B>

We keep ours in the water from memorial day through labor day and take it out a few times during that period to give it a good cleaning. It gets pretty brown under the water line but the Tony'a Topical Tonic mix that I found on here makes light work of taking every last bit of scum off the bottom. It's a 50/50 mix of Lysol toilet bowl cleaner and hydrogen peroxide. Works amazing.

We definitely use the boat so much more having it on the water. It's only a few miles from our house to the marina so we shoot out for a couple hours on weeknights after work and get out every weekend. It's easy to just head down and go out for an hour just to get a few runs in. Wouldn't trade having it on the water ready to go for anything!

I've kept mine in May 1st - October 31st for the past 3 years. I only pull it when I have to (for boating trips)......maybe 3 times a season. I clean and wax it each time and have never had a problem with the gelcoat. In addition to what Bill said, just make sure you always have a coat or 2 of wax on it AND always pay attention to your bilge & bilge pump (what it a normal bilge level? how much is it running? is it always operating properly? etc)

You'll love having the boat in a marina. It's worth every second of packing gas cans & the extra waxing .

Thanks, makes me feel a little better about leaving it in. It is soooo convenient. But does take some toll. Evening cruises with the ladies and the LED's and some tunes is the best.

Steve B.

Out family have an old 78 Haines Hunter which spent 3 months every summer on a swing moring in the bay for 25 years. We used to wax it at the start of the season and clean under it every 2-3 weeks with a scotchbrite pad using a diving mask and weights.

No blisters or rub throughs on the gelcoat from this process.

Cheers

Stewart